Talk

Advanced search

Foundation that holds in humidity?

(12 Posts)
Zondra Tue 21-Jun-11 13:16:54

I'm off to Florida in 2 weeks & I'm dreading it for a number of reasons, hate theme parks & queueing,but was rail-roaded into it by DH & DC...Gah...However,my main dread is the humidity which will play havoc with my hair (attractive halo of frizz is inevitable) & my make-up.

I'd LOVE to go about bare-faced but, thanks to mild rosecea, pigment scars from monthly spot outbreaks & general pigment patches from past pregnancies this is seriously not an option.

What I need is a foundation that stays in 38 degrees plus intense humidity!

Is there such a thing???

Please, someone, save the day & recommend if such a wonder product exists.
Please help make a nightmare holiday a little less unbearable for me.
TIA

Zondra Tue 21-Jun-11 18:09:57

Shameless bump!

roundtable Tue 21-Jun-11 18:17:05

Estee lauder double wear is very resilient. If you can, go to a department store and get a tester. There's also double wear light if that's too heavy.

Zondra Tue 21-Jun-11 18:31:28

Thanks for replying,roundtable. That's the foundation I'm currently using & I love it but, wasn't sure if it'd hold up after some of the horror humidity stories I've heard!

skyebluepink Tue 21-Jun-11 18:35:46

Sondes it doesn't get stronger than Estee Lauder double wear. There are other brands which are supposed to be waterproof (ie resilient) such as Hourglass but this brand is not widely available and doesn't give as much coverage as estee Lauder

Mineral foundation could be an alternative. It has longevity plus coverage.

If it is that humid though everyone will be red faced and sweaty so try not to worry.

skyebluepink Tue 21-Jun-11 18:36:47

Zondra! Stupid autospell. And hourglass is an American brand so maybe you can get it there.

roundtable Tue 21-Jun-11 19:36:03

If you use a primer and let one thin layer of foundation sink in before applying another, then a dusting of mac blotting powder it sticks quite well. I was able to do this in mexico and it was very humid there. Shame I couldn't sort my hair out against the humidity mind! grin

fraktious Tue 21-Jun-11 19:47:25

Double wear holds up here in the tropics on a daily basis. Or extra power I prime with Laura Mercier primer and set with LM loose translucent powder, applied with powder puff and loose powder brushed off.

Havingkittens Wed 22-Jun-11 18:20:27

I came across a new brand in Liberty's today called Hourglass. They do a product called Veil, which is a primer that you can put under or over your foundation which does all the things a normal primer does but also makes your make up water/humidity resistant. Apparently Madonna used if for her last tour which involved a lot of water splashing about. That's what the lady on the counter told me anyway. She demonstrated it on her hand with make up on top and sprayed water onto it and it just rolled off without disturbing the make up so that was a good sign.

I'm afraid I can't tell you much more about it but remembered this thread when I was looking at is so thought I'd pass on the info. V Expensive though at £38!

The Urban Decay fixing spray gets good reviews too but not sure how it feels on the skin. I have a Ben Nye (professional product) waterproof fixing spray that I bought for a shoot but it does feel a bit hairspray-like on the face.

OpusProSerenus Wed 22-Jun-11 18:25:00

Doublewear would get my vote too but I don't think the Light version would give enough coverage (it doesn't for me)

You can also get stuff at some pharmacies that is a total coverage stuff, the staff have to be trained to match and teach you to apply it but it will cover birthmarks, etc. Sadly I can't remember the name of it.

DonaAna Wed 22-Jun-11 19:09:35

Revlon Colorstay. Buy it in any drugstore in Florida for about $10 (CVS, for example). Brilliant, brilliant stuff and lots of shades to boot. Just bought three in Miami. I use the Normal & Dry skin variant. I've tried DW too but it's too gluey for me and unfortunately also too orange. Not much difference in coverage, both work for discolorations and even acne better than most other foundations.

Oh, and I've lived in the humid parts of the US and in the tropics for many, many years, and Colorstay has always served me well. Remove with baby oil or other oil-based cleanser (DW too).

DonaAna Wed 22-Jun-11 19:15:48

And I need to add that I have mild rosacea (redness, tight feeling skin) and some pigmentation from my pregnancies - Colorstay covers them pretty well. It can however be drying and it can accentuate dry patches. This is not an issue if the air is humid, but during winter in Europe I need to use a heavy-duty moisturizer - and in the US A/C can also be drying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now