Talk

Advanced search

As an alternative to a Mulberry Messenger bag - is this yay or nay? Opinions please!

(14 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Mon 20-Jun-11 20:29:18

this

I would really love a Mulberry but they are way too £££

I'm thinking that I really do like this one as an alternative. I really do normally know my own mind but guess I just want opinions before spending even this much!

Have to confess I have never heard of Sara Berman - have I been living in a bubble - but anyway I think I like the bag confused

Do you?

madammecholet Mon 20-Jun-11 20:58:10

Sorry, just not sure and don't know why, maybe the colour is too light and I'm not keen on studs. Looks lovely and soft though...

dexter73 Mon 20-Jun-11 21:02:21

I quite like it but it does look like it comes from Next...

faustina Tue 21-Jun-11 06:45:55

I think perhaps the studs are a bit too shiny? I agree with Dexter. Think you could do better for the money.

Have you had a look at www.mimiberry.co.uk - or www.allycapellino.co.uk

mrsravelstein Tue 21-Jun-11 06:49:49

could definitely do better for the price, it doesn't look expensive

blindassassin Tue 21-Jun-11 07:23:41

Strictly speaking these are men's bags, but Mulberry's Seth and Dan in the sale aren't that much more than the Sara Berman, and a lot more classic here or here. I think you'd go off the studded one quite quickly and agree with the others it looks a bit cheap. I have the Antony Messenger which I love, Seth in particular is pretty similar. Could try the Mulberry outlets too. They will post to you and this time of year you might get something lovely around the £200 mark.

dexter73 Tue 21-Jun-11 07:50:35

How about this Chloe messenger bag?

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 21-Jun-11 08:29:15

I have the Mulberry Antony I think, it is divine, I adore it. Got it half price a couple of years back.

Also just recently acquired the Seth from my Dsis, the quality of the leather is fab.

I don't like the bag you linked too, tbh. Have you tried Peony and Moore, they do nice Messenger bags, lovely leather, not quite Mulberry prices.

madammecholet Tue 21-Jun-11 11:11:03

P and M one here...

mintymellons Tue 21-Jun-11 11:15:51

I live in York where we have a Mulberry factory shop. A couple of years ago I got a Mulberry messenger for about £150 - it's gorgeous! Just an idea if you like the Mulberry stuff!

DonaAna Tue 21-Jun-11 11:19:39

Sorry about being really frank, but my first impression of the bag was genital warts (and second, does Per Una do bags?). There is something really off-putting about the combination of a muted brown and the studs. (And I love handbags). Go for a fresher color and less detail? Just a plain tan or a chocolate brown would be great, but this is not a good shade. Look into the P&M sale. Not all their bags are great - the wool and ponyhair combo makes me feel queasy - but some of them are great for the price and look really classic.

wendihouse22 Tue 21-Jun-11 11:29:24

No. It looks kinda cheap.....and it's not!

lorelilee Tue 21-Jun-11 12:36:00

I just got a lovely Graphite Anthony from the Mulberry outlet in York - it was £195. They posted it to me for £7.50. I LOVE it!

mrsrhodgilbert Tue 21-Jun-11 13:57:12

I would also suggest calling a Mulberry outlet store and you may find a messenger bag for less than the one you have linked. I got a black one from York before Christmas for about £185, it's perfect, not a second. They take about 1/3 off the retail price. I got a lovely East West Bayswater in chocolate mock croc in April, again perfect. I asked how that could be and the explaination was that they make some bags in different leathers to the standard range for the outlets. They also have seconds, the ones I saw had very minor flaws in the leather.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now