Talk

Advanced search

Can you help me find a bridesmaid dress please? Very wide guidance from the bride!

(7 Posts)
bringinghomethebacon Mon 20-Jun-11 20:07:10

Hi ladies, I need help! Am chief bridesmaid in early September. There will be three 4 year old girls as flower girls and me. 5'4 petite framed dark hair but carrying about 10 extra pounds mainly on my hips and baby tummy! Relatively big boobed at the moment but might have stopped breastfeeding by Sept.

Bride is probably wearing something long and floaty to minimise bump and boobs (will be 5 months preg). The little girls in cream broderie anglaise with full skirts. We have agreed I will wear something cream or neutral coloured (taupe/nude - might then get sashes to match for the girls' dresses). I need something to hide my baby tummy. There is no colour scheme for the wedding, a lot of it is taking place outdoors and the reception will be in a moroccan themed tent, lots of bright colours, bride wants to keep us fairly neutral in contrast. No "outfits" as such for the best man or ushers but I think basically if I get a dress she might suggest things for the others to match. I have to choose by myself as we for various reasons have no time to go shopping together. Help!

I like this could maybe match flowers to it, this but is it too bridal? and this - too glitzy?

As you can tell I've only looked at the Monsoon website so far - any other ideas? Budget up to about £200 I think- I said I will contribute to my dress as my friend is on a very tight budget but I think she'll want to chip in - was going to tell her no more than £50 and I'll pay the rest - so could be a bit fluid about it if I loved the dress.

Thank you for any suggestions in advance!!

tethersend Mon 20-Jun-11 22:06:50

Here?

This is fab

Here?

Bargain Westwood. Sod the rest, get this one grin

EveryonesJealousOfGingers Mon 20-Jun-11 22:10:15

Hello, was prompted to look in unanswered threads by another thread so here I am - but I warn you am not a S&B regular so suggestions may be suspect!

Shape wise how do these grab you Alice and Olivia or Fendi - both over budget but in principle? Could be quite forgiving over mummy tummy?

follyfoot Mon 20-Jun-11 22:12:31

That Vivienne Westwood one. Just lovely.

Aworryingtrend Tue 21-Jun-11 10:55:00

bargain but you may needto wear shapewear underneath

coast lacey

coast prom style

asos frill

www.alfredangelobridal.co.uk/collections/displaycollection.aspx?CategoryId=3802fa9c-39d0-4b7f-b1c6-9bd0411741f2 Alfredo angelo do every type of dress in every colour imaginable

bringinghomethebacon Tue 21-Jun-11 21:54:27

Thank you so much for all your suggestions! Some beautiful dresses suggested. I am working through them to show a couple to the bride. Just remembered she said last night that she thought no pattern, and a plain dress so that rules a few out incl that beautiful Vivian Westwood - would defo buy if I was just a guest! I think I also am going to go with something soft and flowing rather than fitted, to match the style of the bride and the smaller bridesmaids, maybe also with a full or flared skirt.

Does anyone know how much those Alfred Angelo dresses cost? I am overwhelmed at the choice on there although not blown away by any of them, am guessing they make them to order because there is such a wide colour variation? Will ring one of the local stockists tomorrow to see what they have I can try on.

bringinghomethebacon Tue 21-Jun-11 22:01:44

More feedback:
A worrying trend - I like that Coast Allure dress but would need straps as my boobs are too big!

Gingers - love both those dresses but am not convinced they will be forgiving on mummy tummy - I basically look a few months' pregnant and dresses that are nipped in under the bust which both of those seem to be a bit really accentuate my tummy! Would need to try on but they are out of budget.... beautiful though.....

Tethersend - your second link (the Phase Eight dress) is out of stock now but I do love it, again not sure if I will look like a pregnant lump in it but totally fabulous dress. Love the Coast shift (third link), not the fluid dress I have in mind but it is my favourite out of all the links. Don't think the black belt would go with the rest of the wedding party but bride's mum could make me and the little girls a matching alternative.

Am still looking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now