Talk

Advanced search

Help for new glasses wearer please!

(16 Posts)
MooMooFarm Mon 20-Jun-11 18:46:34

I've just discovered I need glasses. I found the ones which suited me best (and didn't make me look like my gran) were quite small rectangular frames that were thick and black. They were also quite heavy compared to thinner metal frames, but the thinner metal type ones looked awful.

But within a few hours of wearing them I realised I was constantly shoving them back up my nose. They probably only slid down a little bit, but because the frames are small it was very noticable to me because the upper bit of the frame would be right in my eye line.

I went back to the opticians today and had them adjusted - they said if it doesn't work then I may need different frames completely. Anyway they felt fine for about half an hour but now they're annoying me again!

They look so nice I don't want to switch to a pair that don't suit me. Is there anything else I can try to get them to stop sliding down? Or is it normal that they move around a bit and I'll just get used to it?

dexter73 Mon 20-Jun-11 18:50:05

They shouldn't be moving around. You will end up with a sore point on your nose from where they are slipping.
You should be able to get a pair that suit you without annoying you!

Naetha Mon 20-Jun-11 18:50:53

You'll get used to them smile

Go back and get them adjusted until they're right. Try getting then adjusted in different places too. Most opticians will adjust glasses for free, even if you didn't get them from there in the first place.

Bluebell123 Mon 20-Jun-11 18:52:55

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ted-Baker-red-silk-mix-kaftan-dress-BN-68-size-8-10-12-/180664988256?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D784391856534681179#ht_500wt_922

Can anyone imagine me in this and white jeans at sports day? I think it's really pretty, what do you think?

DooinMeCleanin Mon 20-Jun-11 18:54:52

White jeans and sports day? shock. Those two phrases should never be used together.

Op - you get so used to it, if/when you ever decide to go for contacts you will spend a few days poking yourself in the eyes.

Bluebell123 Mon 20-Jun-11 19:00:30

Oh my god, so sorry op, have posted on your thread in error. Am such a loon, apologies

MooMooFarm Mon 20-Jun-11 19:12:59

That's ok bluebell! You're very brave to go for white jeans on Sports Day - do you have a good stain remover ready? grin

Bluebell123 Mon 20-Jun-11 19:26:10

Do you mean to get rid of the Pimms stains? smile

moragbellingham Mon 20-Jun-11 19:34:14

They shouldn't move around. I had to go back to the optician to have mine adjusted and they still weren't right.
When I went in to look at sunglasses somewhere else, a helpful optician/dispenser realised they were badly fitted and sorted them out whilst I waited.

I would walk in somewhere else and ask for help - not a busy high street one though.

moragbellingham Mon 20-Jun-11 19:34:58

Nice kaftan BTWwink Bluebell - am tempted myself, but not with white jeans!!

Bluebell123 Mon 20-Jun-11 20:25:29

Thread hijack alert .... Go on morag, what would you wear it with?

louwn Tue 21-Jun-11 18:43:19

Mine are the plastic ones too and they drive me mad, I've had them altered about 6 times since I got them. I wish they'd told me when I picked them up how much they'd loosen up. They are the first pair I've worn a lot (long time contact lens wearer) and the slipping makes them irritating. Hope you get it sorted OP.

moragbellingham Tue 21-Jun-11 19:37:40

I'm a bit of a fan of skinny jeans - usually dark but if I could a pair of '80s coloured stonewash I'd be in heaven.
I would do white if I had older DC, honestly!

moragbellingham Tue 21-Jun-11 19:39:58

Actually on me it'd be long enough for just gold sandals and tanned legs.....not good for the mum's race though...

moragbellingham Tue 21-Jun-11 19:43:29

Bloody Norah - just seen the other thread - contentious or what!!

Sorry MooMoo.

Youngerthanilook Tue 21-Jun-11 20:50:55

It may be that they are too wide for the bridge of your nose. Unfortunately, there is usually not just a whole lot that you can do with a plastic frame to solve this problem, save tightening them up a bit more at the back. If the frame is metal, you can have the nose pads adjusted (but don't do this yourself because its very easy to break them).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now