Talk

Advanced search

Jeans nightmare: can anyone explain this??

(16 Posts)
Olivetti Sat 18-Jun-11 21:57:16

I had a baby 7 months ago, and am back to my pre-baby weight. I bought a fitted dress in LK Bennett a few weeks ago for a wedding, lovely fit. Can get into all my old dresses and skirts. So far so good....BUT...

...I cannot fit into ANY of my old jeans (all sorts of makes, expensive and vv cheapo), and have been shopping and tried on all different brands, and literally NONE of them fit. I'll basically never wear jeans again. WHY WHY WHY? Can anyone explain why everything else fits again, and jeans are minging?

AuraofDora Sat 18-Jun-11 22:01:05

Your shape changes, totally, well mine did!
I had to ditch a lot of clothes, esp trousers/jeans my body shape changed and that was that. I lost baby weight but was never the same again..

How old are you, can I ask? I suspected that much younger mums shlooped back into shape but I wasnt one of those and didn't..

Olivetti Sat 18-Jun-11 22:01:59

I am 33....

Olivetti Sat 18-Jun-11 22:03:39

Also, the big mystery to me is that I am in size 10 dresses, but cannot fit into ANY jeans at all. Help!

whostolemyname Sat 18-Jun-11 22:26:14

Our hips and rib cages widen after pregnancy - could that be it?

AuraofDora Sat 18-Jun-11 22:27:24

oh you are young
my whole hip shape was never the same again, tis wierd

Olivetti Sat 18-Jun-11 22:46:55

It must be hips. They are fine on the legs and thighs, and ok on the tummy iyswim, but kind of popping and straining in between! I've never been mad keen on jeans anyway, but they do serve a purpose; it's most upsetting. Do all the bones move or something?

Ephiny Sun 19-Jun-11 14:02:58

Jeans are very difficult to fit when you have wide hips - I have this problem despite not having even had a baby yet! Gap and Levi do a range of jeans for more 'curvy' hip shapes, though I haven't tried them personally. Normally resort to getting a size too big, and having to cinch in the waist with a belt, not really a good look though sad

MoonGirl1981 Sun 19-Jun-11 14:07:35

I have the same problem, hips widen during pregnancy.

Congrats on getting you're usual size back, you'll be the envy of many women. Sadly your jeans days may be over. sad

Have you tried a pair in a size up? My only pair of jeans are a size bigger than all of my other clothes!!

xxx

Lady1nTheRadiator Sun 19-Jun-11 14:35:49

I couldn't wear jeans after having my DS (3) - I think he was a year old when I finally bought some that fit, though bigger than my other clothes. Oddly after having DD (8mo) I am closer to my pre-first-baby shape so you never know...

whoneedssleepanyway Sun 19-Jun-11 18:03:51

I def agree that your shape fundamentally changes. Well done on your weight loss, there will be a pair of jeans out there for you...I would keep looking, are you looking at styles that suited you pre baby maybe you need to look at totally different ones...

SummerRain Sun 19-Jun-11 18:12:14

River Island.

Honestly... I have proper birthing hips, I'd have gone down a treat in ye olden times, but River Island size 10 fit me like a glove and look awesome.

Other than baggy Road jeans they're the only jeans i've ever tried on that fit.

As for the hips widening... I can pinpoint the exact moment it happened... I attempted the darn birthing ball with dd and after about 3 seconds jumped up screaming in agony (only time i screamed in 3 natural births) and the mw just turned calmly to the student mw and pronounced 'That'll be her hips separating'. Nowhere in any of the books do I recall reading about 'hips separating' but she seemed to consider it about as interesting and commonplace as vaginal discharge or leaky nipples hmm

mollymole Sun 19-Jun-11 18:40:28

GAP do a range for 'curvy' shapes and no gaping at the back

Olivetti Sun 19-Jun-11 21:04:01

Thanks for everyone's help. I have tried other styles, yesterday I went to John Lewis and tried on those Levi curve ones, bold curve. I tried an inch bigger than normal, and it was straining. Shall I just accept that I'll never fit into my old size every again? I was 28/29 jeans and I tried a 30 and was really uncomfortable.
Maybe I just shouldn't wear them. Are there any alternative trousers I should think about as options for casual wear? I live in wrap dresses and cord skirts with tops, but I really could do with something a bit more durable and "dress down" if you know what I mean.

Helltotheno Sun 19-Jun-11 21:51:06

Don't give up yet! Have you tried J-Brand, Salsa or, on the high street, Scarlet in Oasis and Gap Long and Lean? If you're back to your pre-baby weight, there is a pair out there that'll look great on you, you have to persevere.

I don't rate any of Levi's styles for curvy women. They're too lowrise and have an odd hip/waist ratio.

FoundWanting Sun 19-Jun-11 22:04:34

Oasis jeans are very good, I have also had some success with Esprit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now