Talk

Advanced search

brazilian blow dry

(20 Posts)
Rinnyx Sat 18-Jun-11 15:25:44

Has anyone had it done?

I mean the the one as in straighting the hair on your head not the removing of hair from your lady garden grin

I'm thinking of saving up and treating myself for my birthday, its not til Dec but its going to cost about £150 at the place I have found that does it.
I'm hoping it will do what they say it does as I'm off to Hong Kong again and Phuket this time come end of the year and I'm sick of lugging about my huge ass hair dryer and straighteners plus it would be nice to go in the sea with DP and the kids and not worry about getting my hair wet (its a awful wavey, frizzy mess if I let it dry naturally)

cinpin Sat 18-Jun-11 15:40:47

I have not had it done but I read that kate Garraway og GMTV did.

Mumelie Sat 18-Jun-11 15:47:23

Spoke to my hairdresser about it as the salon I go to has started doing it. It seems its not the miracle cure I wanted for frizzy hair. It just helps keep styling down to a minimum not removes the need for it altogether sad. I decided it wasnt worth it for the money but would love to hear what others have experianced.

Havingkittens Sat 18-Jun-11 15:50:15

If you want to go in the sea then it'll be a complete waste of time and money! You are advised not to use products containing any sodium chloride (salt) at all as it strips the keratin treatment from the hair. Going in the sea will definitely strip the product out and your hair will be just as frizzy as before.

Rinnyx Sat 18-Jun-11 16:06:19

Really? bugger I thought it would be ok after the 3/4 days they say to keep it dry
Thats the main reason I wanted to get it done, a one off for while I'm on my holiday, just wash and go out sad

Can I swim or go in the sea after a Brazilian Blowdry treatment?
Yes, salt and chlorine aren’t good for hair and the same is true of Keratin. However, a Brazilian Blowdrywill protect your hair and work as a natural defence against the harmful effects of swimming, whether in the sea or pool.

So this is lies?

Havingkittens Sat 18-Jun-11 19:48:06

Hmm, I don't know, but as that grammatically makes little sense I'm not sure I would take it as gospel! lol.

I was told that any salt would fast reverse the effects of the keratin treatment, which includes shampoo and any styling products, which would contain salt in small proportions. So I would suspect that sea water, a saturated solution of salt in water, would be just about the worst thing to immerse your hair in. The 3/4 day period is for washing your hair, full stop, rather than using any salt based products.

I seem to remember someone mentioning on here that they had gone swimming in the sea after a brazilian blowdry and it stripped it out. I may be wrong though. Considering how much it costs I would recommend phoning around various different salons, not just the one that you are planning to go to, to get their opinions.

Rinnyx Sat 18-Jun-11 22:03:47

Thanks for the info
Think I will leave it then, DP has already told me I'm nuts to be spending that on my hair
Maybe I can get a straight perm or something along that line

Havingkittens Sat 18-Jun-11 22:33:51

There's the japanese Yuko straightening treatment if you want it dead straight. I don't know much about it except that it's permanent - ie. you have to get it topped up when your roots grow through but it won't go back to its original texture unless you grow it out.

Dancergirl Sun 19-Jun-11 19:34:26

I had a Brazilian and was disappointed. Hair wasn't straight at all just less frizzy.

Would second the Yuko though - my friend had it and said it was fab.

LeQueen Sun 19-Jun-11 20:57:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Havingkittens Sun 19-Jun-11 21:56:48

Dancergirl - Brazilian Blowdries don't straighten hair, just smooth it so that it doesn't go frizzy. So if you have natural waves or curls they will just be smoother.

I wasn't thrilled with it either myself. I don't know if it was the product or the excessive heat used to activate it but I found it caused a lot of my hair to snap off - which was cruelly ironic, seeing as I had it to try and avoid having to use heated appliances and thus snapping my hair. I did it to give my hair a break.... wrong kind of break! sad

smallpotato Mon 20-Jun-11 10:11:36

I had the Wellastrate treatment done in April and it still looks great now- I never straighten it just leave it to dry. My hair is naturally thick and wavy.

smallpotato Mon 20-Jun-11 10:11:36

I had the Wellastrate treatment done in April and it still looks great now- I never straighten it just leave it to dry. My hair is naturally thick and wavy.

Thefoxsbrush Mon 20-Jun-11 13:21:12

You should join groupon as they often have deals for brazillian blowdrys - they're often only £40 instead of £150 xx

Pinner35 Mon 20-Jun-11 13:56:20

Might be worth having a look at this Brazilian hair straightening thingy.

Once the service is complete you can shampoo and treat your hair as normal on the same day and because there's no nasties, its OK to use during pregnancy and while breast feeding.

LatherRinseRepeatAsNeeded Mon 20-Jun-11 16:49:00

My sister has had a few done, and swears by them, she has seriously frizzy thick long hair and the current one she just washes her hair and leaves it wet, and it drys dead straight.

crystalglasses Mon 20-Jun-11 16:53:49

Yes, Groupon is the way to go. I've had a Brazilian blowdry using their coupon and my hair is still lovely, shiney and smooth 3 months on.

Rinnyx Mon 20-Jun-11 19:03:44

I'm signed up for groupon but I think all these BBD and other hair treatments are mostly for London and I'm on old Norwich

I have found a salon near me that does the chemical straightening so I'm going to pop in there and get a quote as they did a full head dye, wash, dried and styled my hair for £47 and my hairs quite thick and afew inches past my shoulders
My hair grows really slow so a top up would not be very often if I go ahead with a chemical straightening, its taken about 5/6 months for it to grow about 2" shock

Anyone had chemical straightening?

LeQueen Mon 20-Jun-11 20:50:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rinnyx Mon 20-Jun-11 22:37:40

Thanks for the advice LeQueen
looks like the is nothing really out there I can get done then sad guess I'm just going to have to pack my big ass hairdryer and straighteners as usal and tie my hair up if I go in the sea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now