Talk

Advanced search

What should I use to wash my thick curly hair?

(8 Posts)
Ceic Fri 17-Jun-11 16:56:40

The shampoo and conditioner that I've been using for a few years are no longer being made. And the curl-enhancing styling product too.... Just as I thought I'd got a good combo.....

My hair is coarse rather than dry and my curls are big and wavy. I live in an area with very soft water.

I have no idea what to get now.

What do other people use?

Batteryhuman Fri 17-Jun-11 16:58:38

I've tried the "Curly girl" method which is very popular on MN but I got awful dandruff. I use Tresemme shampoo and conditioner at the mo, but will watch this thread with interest.

Ceic Fri 17-Jun-11 17:06:56

What's the "Curly Girl" method??

Maggie198 Fri 17-Jun-11 19:53:32

Try Frizz Ease, Shampoo Conditioner and the Frizz Ease serum. When you've finished washing etc get your hair really wet, forward over you head and gently scrunch the moisture out. This makes sure your curls stay intact. Never comb wet curls through. You can leave the towel on to dry, or use a diffuser. Stop hairdryer when hair is 80% dry. Umberto Giannini did do a could curl range, don't know if they still do. Also the Aussie brand seem good to me.

Batteryhuman Fri 17-Jun-11 20:30:07

Curly Girl has been much discussed on here. Try a search. But in essence you give up shampoo, wash with a silicone free conditioner and no silicone styling products. As I say it didn't work for me but many swear by it so may be worth a try

quirrelquarrel Fri 17-Jun-11 20:56:15

Maybe try L'Oreal Kids, in the squeezy red bottle? It's my standby, I love it. Not so harsh on your hair, same taming effect.

Or cheap Henara. The henna in it probably is so little that it won't have any effect, but it's better than a lot of those chemical shampoos out there.

Ceic Fri 17-Jun-11 21:17:57

Thank you for the replies!

Maggie198 I tried Frizz Ease years ago but we didn't get on. That tiny bottle of serum seemed to only last for a couple of washes and, back then, it seemed awfully expensive. The mousse made my hair crispy... Perhaps I should have a rethink on that.

BatteryHuman I realised after I posted that I could have done a search. blush Will do now.

quirrelquarrel I'll look L'Oreal Kids and Henara - sharing something with the kids might prove useful!

Ceic Fri 17-Jun-11 21:34:17

Curly Girl method found, along with lots more suggestions of things to try.

Off to the shops tomorrow!

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now