Talk

Advanced search

going to norway for 3 to 5 days what clothing do i take?

(19 Posts)
kittydreamer Fri 17-Jun-11 15:54:57

I am 46 years old and recently had a hysterectomy. My body shape has changed so only really feel comfy in jersey dresses or jog bottoms. I am size 14/16 and probably a cello shape or more apple after the op! I am off to Norway for a 3 to 5 day trip in early July hopefully. What on earth should i take? I am casual but will need something for possible evening meals out etc. I am having a clothing crisis was never that confident in clothing but now feel worse!!Also not sure what the weather conditions are likely to be. Any help much appreciated. thankyou

Strutter Fri 17-Jun-11 15:57:39

jeans?
coat

shoes

DonaAna Fri 17-Jun-11 16:01:12

Be prepared for a lot of rain and cool weather, so preferably take along your jog bottoms, a rain- and windproof coat and something comfortable that allows you to walk outdoors (trainers, trekking shoes). If you are lucky, the sun will be out, but that is by no means a given. Norwegians are very casual so even trekking clothes wouldn't be frowned at. For an evening out, I'd take a pair of nice black or linen trousers and a pretty top - and a cardigan and a windproof coat.

Last time I was there I spent my entire trip in trainers, cargo pants, a long-sleeved tee and a very thick wool cardigan from Iceland.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 17-Jun-11 16:13:37

I second all this! I was there for the midnight sun last June. Lovely but not nearly as warm as you'd expect – and I'm a cynical Brit used to assuming it'll be 'nippy'.

Layers in case it does get warm or you go to warm bars etc. If you want to wear dresses then a dress and leggings is great for warmth and for looking smartish but being comfortable. Long chunky cardie for over the top and a lightish scarf for both warmth and smartening up. Have a great time!

kittydreamer Fri 17-Jun-11 16:17:27

Thankyou DonaAna I suspected the weather maybe cooler/wet. Was thinking along the lines of packing for a trip to Scotland ! Any other tips gratefully received as I usually holiday in the UK and have never been to Scandinavia. I suspect there could also be a freak chance of sunny warm weather so am finding it difficult to decide what to take?

cardoon Fri 17-Jun-11 20:24:56

Spent 2 weeks at the beginning of August in northern Norway...... in shorts sandals - it was boiling!

Don't forget the insect repellent

Realitystrikesback Fri 17-Jun-11 21:21:41

Raincoat and waterproof shoes!

LolaLadybird Fri 17-Jun-11 21:34:16

I have holidayed in Scandinavia on more than one occasion and I think you'll need to be prepared for both eventualities - rain and scorching weather. DonaAna is right - they are casual dressers so no need to take anything particularly smart, use the packing space to cater for all weather conditions rather than dressing up!

kittydreamer Sat 18-Jun-11 17:11:48

Thanks cardoon and lolaladybird. Do you think I will need sunglasses then? I dont really have particularily smart clothing just wanna take the right clothing if you know what I mean! Suppose Ill have to watch the weather forecasts in the coming weeks to see how they're weather is comparing to ours then make a judgment on what to take and hope i make the right choice.

DonaAna Sat 18-Jun-11 17:23:35

I live in Scandinavia. Think Outer Hebrides when getting dressed. Anything Goretex is a great idea. Yes, mosquito repellent is also warmly recommended.

Cashmere sweaters are great for Nordic summers. Also take sunscreen and sunglasses - it's easy to get a sunburn, the hole in the ozone layer is a sad reality. Take a few T-shirts and at least one sleeveless top and skirt (denim or khaki can be dressed up or down) just in case it gets really warm. I also nearly always pack a pair of flipflops whenever I travel - if it is too hot for trainers, I can wear them. If not, they are usually useful as indoor slippers in hotels.

And raise your credit limit. Norway is very expensive and alcohol is so expensive that it will break your heart.

cardoon Sat 18-Jun-11 18:43:50

Take swimwear - those turquoise fjords are freezing really tempting!

Cashmere for after - very wise Dona

cardoon Sat 18-Jun-11 18:45:25

Yeah - take booze with you if you can.

kittydreamer Sat 18-Jun-11 18:48:52

I dont drink alcohol so that will be a saving but I do like my food!!

cardoon Sat 18-Jun-11 18:57:43

Take food with you!
We found the food surprisingly poor (too salty/too sweet - even the salads confused)

cardoon Sat 18-Jun-11 18:59:20

Unless you are willing to pay loads that is.

kittydreamer Sat 18-Jun-11 19:45:49

Ill need a trunk by the sounds of it!!

cardoon Sat 18-Jun-11 20:34:36

Ahhh, the beauty of taking the ferry!

rimmerfleadick Sat 18-Jun-11 20:47:47

Well I'm in norway and sat in shorts and t-shirt.
Depends where you are going.
Most days are similar to Scotland weather wise, but It can rain - a lot.
Most wear is pretty casual day to day, even jeans at work is ok.
Most women dress in trousers, blousey tops etc.

rimmerfleadick Sat 18-Jun-11 20:52:06

RE DonaAna

I bought 6 bottles of Corona in the supermarket (Kiwi) £18.
Eating out is v expensive. Family size pizza at Dolly dimples £28.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now