Talk

Advanced search

I need to spend £15 or less on make up for a 12 year old girl...

(24 Posts)
berri Fri 17-Jun-11 13:50:28

I haven't a clue what the best brands for teenagers are these days, I don't think she'd appreciate a Chanel lipgloss smile

Please let me have your suggestions if you're in the know!

cybbo Fri 17-Jun-11 13:51:29

Superdrug do a Sleek range which has lots of brights in it

But tbh I reckon a couple of sheerish lip glosses woudl do, bit young for full slap

happywheezer Fri 17-Jun-11 13:55:35

primark do make up.all glitter etc. Also, no17 at boots. Rimmel. Tesco.
Avon.EBAY?
just ideas.

weblette Fri 17-Jun-11 13:58:13

This week's Shout has a free clear mascara and lip gloss... Boots Natural Collection is nice simple and cheap, dd also has some Rimmel bits.

RufousBartleby Fri 17-Jun-11 14:00:30

I'd go for The Natural Collection or Collection 2000 for a 12 year old, the first is as it says - quite subtle make-up (which could be a good thing as at 12 she might be inclined to apply with a trowel!) and the second has some surprisingly good bits and pieces for the price - both can be found at Boots.

PrinceHumperdink Fri 17-Jun-11 14:00:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bumperlicioso Fri 17-Jun-11 14:03:33

Bit young really, but perhaps a bit of Barry M?

ThisIsJustASagaNow Fri 17-Jun-11 14:04:37

Claire's Accessories do some lovely palettes. My dd (12) has one and the colours are subtle and wearable for her age. Also some lovely glittery things in there. We're currently on our second can of hair glitter spray which is pretty.

berri Fri 17-Jun-11 14:05:45

I'VE MADE A MISTAKE SHE'S GOING TO BE 14!! This might make a difference to some of your answers....sorry!

blush

TrillianAstra Fri 17-Jun-11 14:07:11

I agree with Humperdink - better to have fun bright colors (good palettes of eyeshadows in Superdrug).

The message should be that makeup is a fun silly thing that we do because we enjoy it.

Not stuff to put on your face to make it look "natural", as if your face is not good enough when it is actually natural.

ceebeegeebies Fri 17-Jun-11 14:07:56

Try Barry M - cheap but lots of bright colours which I am sure would appeal to a 14 year old.

ThisIsJustASagaNow Fri 17-Jun-11 14:08:11

Lolgrin

Lush or Bodyshop as she's a sophisitcated 14 maybe? I think most suggestions here still ok tbh though.

TrillianAstra Fri 17-Jun-11 14:08:31

Iactually have this and I am slightly more than 14 grin

berri Fri 17-Jun-11 14:15:30

Love that palette TA - great suggestion. Perhaps one of those plus a few nail varnishes or something....

Madlizzy Fri 17-Jun-11 14:17:32

Black eyeliner and mascara will be an absolutely must.

monstersX2 Fri 17-Jun-11 14:29:41

I've have 5 nieces and by the age of 14 they were all wearing eyeliner, black mascara and liquid eye liner same as i used to at that age (i'm 25) a couple of my nieces wear coloured eyeshadow and they all like a nice light pinky blusher/bronzer.
Fortunately none of them wear orange foundation grin
Rimmel, collection 2000 or boots 17 are good choices.

QuinnFabray Fri 17-Jun-11 18:11:26

I love the idea of promoting make up as something fun, rather than as something we need to mask our imperfections. Although at 36, I definately do need it to mask my imperfection! But that certainly shouldn't be on a teen's mind.

Sleek palettes always get good reviews, as does a lot of ELF stuff.

I got a couple of Collection 2000 lip sticks the other day, and was surprised at how good they are.

RufousBartleby Fri 17-Jun-11 21:38:18

OP - please don't get hideous 'fun' bright coloured make-up for a 14 year old. She's not a little girl.

I can still remember being this age and appearance is very important, unfortunately much as it would be nice to be all pc and 'make-ups silly and just for fun' this is not the world you inhabit as a teenager.

QueeferSutherland Fri 17-Jun-11 21:51:55

Benefit products?

She probably wouldn't be able to afford it herself, thus a great pressie.

This or the eyeliner?

Lip balm?

mippy Fri 17-Jun-11 22:15:19

I didn't start wearing it until I was 15/16, and by that time had observed friends enough that I didn't want to have an orange face...friends used Constance Carroll and it was seen as 'posh' to get Sensiq or Boots 17, but then we did live in a shite town.

£15 won't go far in Benefit, plus best I think to get her stuff she can replace herself. Also Benetint is very, very difficult to mess up so probably not great for someone getting into make-up. Boots 17 is pretty good for a teenager, I think - or what about Bourjois? I think Gosh from Superdrug is good too - like a cheaper, slightly less edgy Urban Decay (I'd recommend a UD palette but they're slightly over your budget..)

mippy Fri 17-Jun-11 22:15:56

Gah, I meant easy to mess up. I spent most of age 20 looking like someone had drawn on my cheeks with red felt tip.

happywheezer Fri 17-Jun-11 23:02:46

I know it may be cheeky but as an added gift, there are a few mags this month with decent make up like benefit and leighton denny, add these to her little bag of treats. Revlon have really nice make up at the moment but quite grown up. Take her to a counter and get a make under.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Fri 17-Jun-11 23:10:29

My dd2 is 14 and the only thing she wears so far is a bit of Maybeline (sp?) Great Lash mascara.

I'd go for nail varnish or lipgloss - or maybe bubble bath etc - rather than make up tbh.

berri Sat 18-Jun-11 15:05:19

Good ideas everyone, thanks very much. Going to superdrug this afternoon to see what's there, apparently there are lots of 3 for 2 in there at the mo so might be able to get a few things.

Thanks for your suggestions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now