Talk

Advanced search

What's the 'new' Birkenstock? Comfy, easy, nice sandals pls

(45 Posts)
Adair Thu 16-Jun-11 19:42:04

Yup, been wearing birkenstock style sandals for YEARS and YEARS now so they truly cannot be fashionable any more (if ever?!). But they are comfy and easy.

I have weird taste, and truly can't choose what looks like granny sandals and what looks like funky young-people sandals. I like these but too uncomfy?, and these I think, but then I also like these too in an odd anti-fashion way (told you I have dubious taste). Could do a slight wedge but comfort is most important - have baby in sling most days. Budget is small but I'd rather buy something decent quality that will last and be comfortable than cheap and unwearable.

Please find me something suitable before I buy those Shoezone ones confused.

Eddieshead Thu 16-Jun-11 19:45:16

I live in a pair of these. Dunno if they fit the bill?

gapants Thu 16-Jun-11 19:52:15

The shoes you linked to OP are pretty, but they will give your foot no support and will make your calves ache after a while.

I think Birkies are fine, not exactly fashion forward, but sort of a summer staple I think.

I have these and love them

something like this is more supportive and fashionable

or this

or these

pointydog Thu 16-Jun-11 20:07:04

Those clarks pancake fudges are unbelievably awful!

pointydog Thu 16-Jun-11 20:08:30

I'd stick with the biorkenstocks

gapants Thu 16-Jun-11 20:08:57

pancake fudges? Erm, are you on glue? grin

Yes, clarks has never had a good rep on MN, but going on the assumption that the OP is looking for comfort and style I popped them in my selection.

Korinna Thu 16-Jun-11 20:11:21

Fitflops seem to do it for me!

pointydog Thu 16-Jun-11 20:11:28

pants, the op's second link is to clarks shoes called 'pancake fudge'. Honest. They are even worse than your 'tibetan art' link grin

Adair Thu 16-Jun-11 20:12:49

<sigh>

I told you.
Eddieshead those are a lovely colour but too pricey for me!
Gapants, those Birkenstocks are very nice. Schuh have actual Birkenstocks in pink for £24.99 or I could buy some cheapies from peacocks.

gapants Thu 16-Jun-11 20:13:29

blush I see the link now. Yes the "pancake fudges" are pretty awful. Stupid name to boot!

piratecat Thu 16-Jun-11 20:13:30

just to support the Birkenstock

I have the Relax ones, 3 pairs, silver, hot pink and white.

19.99 from ishoe, on ebay.

Adair Thu 16-Jun-11 20:16:08

"pancake fudges" <snurk>

So, i should just stick with the birkenstocks then as I am clearly so effortlessly stylish-

gapants Thu 16-Jun-11 20:18:26

correct!

piratecat Thu 16-Jun-11 20:19:26

or 19.99 on tjhughes outlet shop on ebay!!

yes go with being effortlessly cool.

sunshineatlast Thu 16-Jun-11 20:19:29

LOVE the birkies. Have 5 pairs now as I get a new colour every year. Fitflops chafe between the toes. Clarks are sweaty. Birkies are the best. They are classic.

breatheslowly Thu 16-Jun-11 20:31:24

I have softinos and they are really comfy. Any good?

mangomousse Thu 16-Jun-11 20:34:25

I too live in Birkenstocks - 9 pairs all different colours - but I have progressed to the Milano (?) which just has the one bar across the toes.

piratecat Thu 16-Jun-11 20:36:35

milano, madrid, mallorca, and relax have one bar.

i have a fairly narrow low foot and the relax suit that. i found the madrids to sloppy.

piratecat Thu 16-Jun-11 20:38:06

ah mango, maybe you did mean Madrids! Milano's have two bars.

sorry i will leave this thread now, i go tmy mum into them and she's got 7 pairs now lol!!

Fimbo Thu 16-Jun-11 20:39:00

Schuh have something that are the same style of footbed as birkies but then they have a strap at the back. Can't link Schuh shoes very well, will try!

mangomousse Thu 16-Jun-11 20:39:31

Not Milano but Madrid (sorry). Pirate have you tried them in narrow fit?

Fimbo Thu 16-Jun-11 20:43:36

Zulu also like them in the floral

bran Thu 16-Jun-11 20:47:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Adair Thu 16-Jun-11 20:51:37

Ohhh now I can't decide which would be funnier - wearing Fanny Comfort or Pancake Fudge, while eating Toffee Dodgers admiring my walls in Clunch.

<childish>

niminypiminy Thu 16-Jun-11 21:07:17

I've never found Birkenstocks very good. They're too wide and inflexible and they don't last.

Now I wear Mephisto Helen sandals. Much more comfortable and really long lasting (I have one pair that are now on their third year, and they don't smell as much as Birkenstocks either.) This style are available in a really wide range of colours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now