Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What shoes do you wear on cool and/or rainy summer days?

(37 Posts)
Earlybird Thu 16-Jun-11 17:32:37

I'm stuck for ideas.

Earlybird Thu 16-Jun-11 17:44:52

and before you think I'm a complete numpty for asking this question, should say that we've been living in America for the last 5 years and am trying to figure out what to pack for our trip to London in a few weeks time.

Sandals no good when it's cool and rainy, canvas trainers no good when wet - so what to bring? I'm out of the mindset!

herecomesthsun Thu 16-Jun-11 17:53:35

Today (rainy) I wore some black Gabor boots I had when I was a student (vaguely Victorian in style). They are at least 20 years old, I found them when we moved, but they were out of style then. Since flattish/ lace-up/ vaguely distressed/ military-ish boots came back into vogue, I have been wearing them with long skirts and trousers, and will do so till they fall apart/ become completely unfashionable again (not that I am bang up-to-date by any means). They are very comfortable and not bad in the rain.

BlooCowWonders Thu 16-Jun-11 18:14:46

Today I wore clarks wedges. They got soaked in the (unexpected) rain so I changed into lightweight leather shoes. Then it got so hot I changed into birkenstocks. And got wet again on school run coming home.

Guess flip flops would at least dry out faster smile

So who knows?!

Earlybird Thu 16-Jun-11 18:33:59

Hmm - no closer to knowing what to pack......though I appreciate responses. wink

LoveInAColdClimate Thu 16-Jun-11 18:38:50

I live in the UK and still don't know the answer to this! I tend to still wear ballet pumps/flip flops then moan about having cold, wet feet...

Megatron Thu 16-Jun-11 18:40:25

Ballet pumps for me when I'm not sure what the weather will do. I love 'em!

herecomesthsun Thu 16-Jun-11 20:30:37

Hi - the boots I meant are a little bit like this but in black, very useful on cool summer days with rain.

piratecat Thu 16-Jun-11 20:34:08

i have no idea either! i wore my winter boots yesterday. ridiculous, but it was chuckling it down.

oh, i have adidas superstar trainers, thats what i sometimes wear.

herecomesthsun Thu 16-Jun-11 20:38:25

looking further at the Toast site what about a loafer (or moccasin or deck shoe) or am I being too practical here? grin

Iggly Thu 16-Jun-11 20:40:41

It's not that warm so I wore boots today - flats, mid calf. with a skirt. In fact I tend to wear skirts and boots in the rain otherwise trousers drag on the floor and get wet.

LawrieMarlow Thu 16-Jun-11 20:42:12

I wear sandals whatever the weather. Feet sometimes get a bit wet but they survive.

Lady1nTheRadiator Thu 16-Jun-11 20:43:35

Vans or Keds.

Marne Thu 16-Jun-11 20:43:58

Wellies? grin

Flip flops (its only water).

plainwhitet Thu 16-Jun-11 21:39:05

It is very cold and rainy often where I live in the UK. This year I bought some leather Clarks Air trainer type things; I sprayed them with water repellent and wear with nice trainer socks; ideal with trousers when not hot. Ie often. Not as old lady ish as they sound ...I actually bought them for walking in a hot country at Easter but now I love them!

Fimbo Thu 16-Jun-11 21:41:34

I wear Converse in the rain and they are fine, dry out quickly enough. Have never had wet socks or anything.

usualsuspect Thu 16-Jun-11 21:42:41

Ballet flats

Earlybird Fri 17-Jun-11 13:26:50

My problem is that many of my current casual shoes are suede. It is fine where I live now because I am generally not out sloshing around in the rain, but know suede shoes would be ruined if i brought them to London.

It looks cold and damp again in London today (am a secret webcam 'spy'! grin), so know I need to figure something out.

What are all of you wearing on your feet today?

cupnoodle Fri 17-Jun-11 15:53:26

Message withdrawn

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 17-Jun-11 15:55:08

I've actually decided that my fitflops are the most suitable for this weather. Can't bear shoes in warm weather and my feet dry out faster than any shoe.

Macaroona Fri 17-Jun-11 16:14:52

Boots! Leather flat boots over leggings or tights and a skirt. Too much rain to consider anything else!

wineandcheese Fri 17-Jun-11 16:22:36

I'm wearing Converse today. I can't bring myself to wear boots in summer, although that would be the sensible thing to do!

polyhymnia Fri 17-Jun-11 18:09:28

Snake print leather loafers/ moccasins, like this:

www.lkbennett.com/shoes/ss11preview/FLADELINA214SNAKE

(with straight leg jeans, stripy top and khaki parka).

As usual, had sprayed my shoes with protector before I started wearing them.

faustina Fri 17-Jun-11 18:56:26

fitflop leather sneakers. ballet flats when it's really pissing it down don't work for me - they just soak straight through. it is horrible today, but too warm still for boots where I live

notsogoldenoldie Fri 17-Jun-11 19:01:38

Sketchers Shape - ups - the Mary jane sort. great for cool days, but too hot for hot days, methinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now