Talk

Advanced search

Would I look silly wearing a narrow Alice band?

(9 Posts)
SunnyAgain Thu 16-Jun-11 14:00:00

I'm late 30's and have thick hair that is a bit wavy, a little below shoulder length with some long layers. The problem is that round my face the layers aren't long enough to go behind my ears, and I definitely can't get it all into a pony-tail.

I've started going to a yoga class and my hair keeps getting in my face, so I bought a 2-pack of Alice bands yesterday in Sainsburys. They are narrow, fabric covered, and were on a display with adult jewellery, but when I got home I noticed they have warnings about not being suitable for under-3s, and not to wear when sleeping, so I think they are actually for children!

Would I look ridiculous wearing that kind of thing? (I know at a yoga class appearance shouldn't matter, but..!) I've lost my confidence a bit and just don't know what looks ok any more.

TrillianAstra Thu 16-Jun-11 14:01:40

You won't look sill, but your temples will hurt. Alice bands pinch.

Can you get one of those big thin hair bands that you put all around your head? That wya the head-squeezing is spread out.

WhipMeIndiana Thu 16-Jun-11 14:01:56

wear them! I bought a 5-pack from primark for £1 and share them with my 5 yr old. I am mid 30s. we fight over the silver one. grin

WhipMeIndiana Thu 16-Jun-11 14:02:39

I fancy taking up a bit of yoga

BettyBleu Thu 16-Jun-11 14:12:12

I really don't think it matters, I have similar hair to you and for yoga and exercising I use a zig-zag hairband like David Beckham used to wear!

SunnyAgain Thu 16-Jun-11 14:17:05

Thanks, I'll give it a go for my class tomorrow and if it makes my head hurts will look for one of those stretchy ones. Maybe my head is small as I've tried it on at home for a bit and it didn't feel tight at all, though I expected it might do.

I remember wearing a velvet one in the late 80's and can't quite believe I've gone back to them!

Yoga is great by the way Whip - I've returned after a 5-year absence, now DCs are at pre-school and school so I have a free morning.

moragbellingham Thu 16-Jun-11 15:09:14

I have some that are like plastic coated wire, you can't even see them but keep the hair off my face. What about something like these but in a colour similar to your hair?
Claire's have loads and some aren't even tackysmile

stylemum Thu 16-Jun-11 19:47:47

For yoga I'd definitely wear a stretchy one. More comfortable, usually cheaper and you can get them in nice colours. If you want to add a bit of your own style (it helps LOADS with building up self-confidence to like your own style) you can add a strip of material you like which you scrunch up and turn into a rosette then sew on with a few rough stitches. Or add a few sequins. Or anything that isn't too heavy to stay in place.

Butterbur Thu 16-Jun-11 19:56:29

I've worn a hairband for karate, when my hair was longer, even though I'm in my 50s. I'm not the only one, either. In fact on a couple of occasions, I've noticed the longer haired men wearing them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now