Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about mineral make up

(59 Posts)
sunshineatlast Thu 16-Jun-11 13:17:48

any good?

Was given the sales pitch by Bare Minerals lady the other day and was tempted..

Am 43 and have broken veins, forehead lines, eye lines, nose to mouth lines and puffy eyes (you get the picture?) need something to even it all out a bit.

Have been using MAC studio fix for years now but its beginning to sit in the wrinkes.

Any suggestions???

vjg13 Thu 16-Jun-11 13:21:58

I've just bought a starter kit and brushes duty free but haven't watched the instuction dvd yet so will watch this thread with interest smile

KateMush Thu 16-Jun-11 13:43:46

I recently bought the bare escentuals starter kit and have been really impressed. Liquid/mousse foundations don't suit my skin, but the minerals one looks really natural.

You get 3 brushes, 2 foundations, concealer, 'warmth' to give a bit of colour to your cheeks and mineral veil to go over the top.

I'm 40 and have quite fair skin so bought the light pack - people have commented how good my skin looks since I started using it so would definitely recommend!

gregssausageroll Thu 16-Jun-11 14:03:13

Exactly what Kate said above. I have the starter kit and have also added some more stuff from QVC from the bare escentuals range. I am 40 too and have had lots and lots of comments about my make up recently. I am particularly impressed with their lip colours.

Naetha Thu 16-Jun-11 14:06:17

I had a makeover done last week by the bare minerals people, and I looked moderately attractive amazing!

That was me sold smile

valiumredhead Thu 16-Jun-11 17:05:35

Bare essentials Bisque concealor is the best thing I have ever tried in all of my 40 years - amazing stuff!

Feelunique is the website to buy BE make up from - free P and P and much cheaper than department stores.

issynoko Thu 16-Jun-11 17:07:59

You're selling this to me ladies. I have rosacea - very red skin on cheeks, nose and chin. It's hard to cover with normal foundation - I hate wearing makeup but feel I have to to look normal and feel confident. Have tried green cover up and just looked ill. Anyone with very obvious redness as well as broken capillaries? Does it work for you?

sunshineatlast Thu 16-Jun-11 17:13:37

wow thanks for the responses! great tip about the feelunique website too.
will let you know how I get on

valiumredhead Thu 16-Jun-11 17:16:01

Yes issy you need the concealor - WONDERFUL FOR COVERING REDNESS!!!!!

I have used Estee Lauder, Clinique, Mac practially everything on the market and it's the best. You need to get the concealor brush too, I have tried using other ones and it doesn't go on as well.

CalamityKate Thu 16-Jun-11 17:17:07

I used Lily Lolo stuff for a while and although it was a good colour for me, after a little while it tended to go really shiny and make my not particularly large pores look HUGE.

Clearly it didn't suit me but I've heard great things about it from others.

gettingolderbytheday Thu 16-Jun-11 17:18:22

I love this stuff, discovered it last year and won't go back to ordinary foundation.

gettingolderbytheday Thu 16-Jun-11 17:20:39

By the way the bisque clogs a bit under my eye so I use Touche eclat there and the bisque on imperfections and side of nose to mouth. It is a great concealer. The lip gloss is good too.

valiumredhead Thu 16-Jun-11 17:21:06

Calamity Bare essentials does that on me too but now they have brought out a MATT version and it's great.

valiumredhead Thu 16-Jun-11 17:22:02

YY lipgloss is fab <<listen to me getting all excited! grin>>

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 16-Jun-11 17:22:38

Ooh, I think I'm sold too. I also have broken veins, eye lines and puffy eyes (although I'm only 36).

Is an in-store makeover a good place to start, then? I always find myself buying products I don't need/like/know how to use in these scenarios, out of sheer Englishness. <looks pointedly at Bobbi Brown brushes and 'concealer' gathering dust>

valiumredhead Thu 16-Jun-11 17:24:52

Debenhams is good and ime no pressure to buy. The starter kits are good as they come with the brushes free ( then order on line once you know your colours!)

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 16-Jun-11 17:30:08

Thanks! Ooh, it's late-night shopping ... <dials bank to extend overdraft>

valiumredhead Thu 16-Jun-11 17:47:28

I don;t think you'll be disappointed - come back and update! grin

nbee84 Thu 16-Jun-11 17:52:21

Another convert here grin

It takes minutes to put on your base, gives you a lovely even complexion and looks very natural. I slick on some every morning (unless I'm not leaving the house that day) and it lasts for ages - I bought mine before Easter and I reckon I'm not even halfway through the pot.

valiumredhead Thu 16-Jun-11 17:58:25

Oh yeah, it lasts AGES.

gregssausageroll Thu 16-Jun-11 18:18:57

The department stores have starter kits plus lots of little additional kits too so if you are not sure of colours they are good but QVC have their 30 day money back guarantee which I think is fantastic. Also, there is a TSV on QVC for BE coming up on 7th July I think but I don't know what is in it yet.

Mumelie Thu 16-Jun-11 18:58:56

Its fab stuff. Get to Debenhams, get a make-over and buy a starter kit, you wont look back grin

TheDogsKnees Thu 16-Jun-11 19:03:16

I bought Prestige Skin Loving Minerals on the back of reviews on Makeup Alley. I was sceptical so went with a mid-range high street brand so as not to waste money. Best tenner I ever spent! I suffer from hormonal breakouts and am in the middle of a particularly bad one at the mo. My friend commented on how good my skin looked yesterday! I already had a kabuki brush but finds it work just as well with a bronzing brush. I use a concealer brush dipped in the powder for exact-match disguising of spots & red areas. The coverage is so good (can look cakey for the first 30 mins or so) but can look a little flat so I finish with a bit of bronzer and/or blusher. I sometimes use a highlighter for extra definition. Another bonus is that it drastically cuts down the whole application process - takes me minutes to get ready now which is a joy given what it usually takes to mask my spotty boat race imperfections.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 16-Jun-11 19:32:12

I bought a tiny starter kit in Debenhams and am v impressed. It said there was enough for a month but I've had it around that long and still have lots left. am deffo going to buy the full size starter pack next.

I have a question about 'warmth' though - is it like bronzer? I hate bronzer and I'm so pale that it makes me look dirty - a bit of pink blusher is much better for me.

onlyaname Thu 16-Jun-11 19:41:52

Bare Minerals is great. I have terrible skin at the moment ( red, itchy, dry, flaky, spotty - honestly, a mess) and it has helped it to look better by covering it up and does seem to be improving it too. love the stuff!

Any advice on how to improve my own skin issues gratefully received - use dr hauschka and the minerals. Any vitamins / foods that could help too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now