Talk

Advanced search

Forty somethings do Fab and Funky in the Westend?

(12 Posts)
JustLikeHeaven Thu 16-Jun-11 12:53:11

I need your help from you stylish ladies please. I am travelling to London with my sister to see a show. Its her 40th birthday and I wanted to treat her to a fancy pants dinner before the show. A friend has suggest Bentleys. Does anyone know if it is close to Coventry Street where the theatre is and if this is a nice place to go. We would like somewhere fancy but funky. I know Bentleys is probably a bit posh but I dont want it to be a 'stuffy' experience. I want her to feel spoiled.... but comfortable. Has anyone got any other suggestions. We dont see each other often or splash out on treats for ourselves so I would like it to be the best evening possible.
Thank you so much

moragbellingham Thu 16-Jun-11 13:50:46

Yes, it's very near.
I've never been but another one relatively close is this Seven Park Place - Or Hush for a drink after shopping, I know people who say the food is good also, but I've only had the wine.
Patterson's and Galvin both have great food but are not incredibly funky. Hakkasan maybe?

moragbellingham Thu 16-Jun-11 13:57:53

Vanilla is definitely funky with nice cocktails in an all white bar - slightly odd location though.

JustLikeHeaven Thu 16-Jun-11 14:44:49

thank you both. When I say funky... I just mean, not a snooty place... it doesnt have to be very trendy. I will look up those sugesstions... and am open to any others.....

JustLikeHeaven Thu 16-Jun-11 15:29:28

What about Cocoon? Does anyone know what thats like? And is Mayfair near the Westend? I would prefer something within walking distance but as time is running out I'm starting to panic

katkitya Thu 16-Jun-11 16:06:23

The good old Ivy. Not funky but not stuffy either. In the middle of everything. Great food and great bars nearby. In the middle of theatre land.

moragbellingham Thu 16-Jun-11 16:07:26

Check out TopTable website and put your location in the search area. This will give you loads of restaurants in the vicinity. Fluid website will give you lots of bars.

I would say Mayfair is walkable but not in high heels. Very quick in a black cab if your pushed though.

I have wanted to go to Cocoon for a while. Have heard the food is OK but it's more of a place to go for drinks and to meet and generally enjoy the place. I feel like I'm persuading myself to go here!!

sweetheart Thu 16-Jun-11 17:45:04

Veeraswamy is nearby if you fancy the best Indian of your life in a stunning restaurant. I'd also recommend Hakkisan if you fancy the best Chinese of your life in a superb setting. The Ivy is nice, relaxed, hearty food but I have to say having been to all 3 it wouldn't be my first choice.

JustLikeHeaven Thu 16-Jun-11 19:59:25

Thank you all. I'm more confused that ever. Some of your suggestions dont have availability or dont do the time we need... looking for pre theatre dinner.. .so about 5pm. Here are two other options..... [http://www.criterionrestaurant.com/home.html] There are very mixed reviews on line. Has anyone been recently. Or my other option at the moment is The Forge [http://www.theforgerestaurant.co.uk/]. Anyone know either have any comment... Thanks so much

JustLikeHeaven Thu 16-Jun-11 19:59:44

sorry.. links didnt work

sweetheart Thu 16-Jun-11 20:23:43

I've also been to Clos Maggior in Covent Garden which was lovely - just looked and they do pre theatre dining. I didn't mention it before because it's more of a couple / romantic setting but would still be lovely

JustLikeHeaven Thu 16-Jun-11 21:21:14

Thanks sweetheart... I'm at the stage where I am just going to book anything. Will take a break from it and look again tomorrow.... thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now