Talk

Advanced search

Help, what do I wear for this?

(6 Posts)
ElusiveMoose Thu 16-Jun-11 09:32:15

OK, I'm rubbish with clothes and need advice. I'm going to a hen day in a couple of weeks' time. Should be a very civilised affair: lunch in a very nice (but also kinda laid back) restaurant in London, followed by late afternoon/early evening cocktails in what looks like a very cool cocktail bar in the City. Not sure, but I don't think it will go on into the evening. I haven't been anywhere at all like this for years (ie pre-children!), and I just don't have a clue what to wear. Does it call for a summer dress (if the weather's nice), or something more evening-y? Help!

crispyseaweed Thu 16-Jun-11 09:37:09

How about some white trousers, with a floral blouse.
Or a summery skirt with a shirt to match
Evening perhaps a black top and skirt to match or a darkish shade (slimming)
Its whatever you feel comfortable in but looks smart, trendy, stylish too.

notyummy Thu 16-Jun-11 10:40:10

I would think either:

skinnies, great heels and a lovely top - like this. Not necessarily at these prices!

You could also try a dress like this that could be worn with nude heels or wedges, or dressed down with flats. This also nice and can wear with heels or flats.

Depends on your shape, size, style - and the weather! Give your description, I think I wouldn't want to look too dressed up in case I looked too over the top and 'middle aged mum who doesn't get out much'. (Even if that may be true in my case..!) Go for some killer heels/accessories instead.

ElusiveMoose Thu 16-Jun-11 14:05:05

Hmm, great advice, but I'm not sure it really corresponds with anything in my wardrobe at the moment (or at least, not the stuff I can still get into). But I don't want to spend loads of money on something I won't wear much.... Love those dresses you linked to, notyummy, and I heard on the radio this morning that all the summer sales have started early. So I might see if I can pick up a dress or a blouse on the cheap. (For the record, I'm a 12/14 and very hourglassy, so skinny jeans don't work at all. And I normally live in jeans and t-shirts. But I've got a couple of nice pairs of summery trousers, so a new blouse could probably dress those up sufficiently.)

stylemum Thu 16-Jun-11 19:56:39

I love the black and white dress that notyummy suggested (but I'd NEVER pay that price for it)!
If you're an hourglass (you lucky thing!) make sure you wear a waist belt that emphasises your lovely curves. In fact, hourglasses look best in dresses that emphasise their shoulders and hips and nip them in at the waist. You could wear a plain(ish) dress and have dress down accessories with it for the lunch, and dress up accessories for the evening do. ('Dress up' doesn't mean expensive)!!
That way you could wear something you already have in your wardrobe, or certainly buy something not too costly.

ElusiveMoose Fri 17-Jun-11 09:56:02

Thanks. When I say hourglass, I obviously really just mean big boobs and big bum. I used to be a proper hourglass, but that was before two children did for my stomach muscles. But yes, you're right, the sort of dress with a small waist does suit me best. Time to have a proper reassessment of my wardrobe, I think, and then maybe go shopping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now