Talk

Advanced search

Wedding outfit I can bf in - HELP!

(15 Posts)
Mij Wed 15-Jun-11 16:30:26

Going to a wedding in early August, & BF nearly 2yr old will be with me. While she doesn't feed loads there will be no way of fending her off for a whole 8 hrs, particularly into the evening.

I'm not generally into frocks, but wondering about a maxi-dress? Is this too wafty for a wedding? Don't do heels either, so thinking something very long might give me a get-out there too. What happens to your boobs in a maxi dress with a stretchy top? Does it kinda keep them in or will I droop horrendously?

Also, I'm kinda pear shaped - sz 14, 12 on a good day, 5'6 in my besocked feet, only a C cup etc etc. Should I just give up and go in my jeans and hope no-one notices?

Haven't got much cash either. Not too much of a challenge then sigh.

TattyDevine Wed 15-Jun-11 16:32:55

I'd wear some kind of trouser or skirt suit, I think, then I could roll my top up but the jacket would still cover any exposed flesh on my back or if your bigger little one doesn't like to feed like that you could wear something button down with it and unbutton it to feed...

bufforpingtonchick Wed 15-Jun-11 16:34:02

Asos have some lovely maxi dresses?

TattyDevine Wed 15-Jun-11 16:34:46

Does she lie on you or is she kinda upright these days... (gets to the point where they just sort of dive in and help themselves)...

friendcat Wed 15-Jun-11 16:37:20

maxi dress with pashmina (type thing) over the top, covers arms and squashed in/falling out boobies.

Don't you wish sometimes you could wear a burkha? <sigh>

mrsjohnsimm Wed 15-Jun-11 16:38:10

I've worn this (an official breastfeeding dress) to two weddings this year and it is fab. It's not cheap but they do come up on eBay fairly often. And it's obviously easy to bf in.

QueeferSutherland Wed 15-Jun-11 18:12:10

What's your budget, Mij?

What do you like?

Are you adverse to florals?

Is it a super-posh event or more relaxed?

What shoes do you have? I'd start there and move up.

QueeferSutherland Wed 15-Jun-11 18:31:15

I bed you could BF in this.
I have similar and it's possible. Wear a pashmina with it to hide more.

Mij Wed 15-Jun-11 21:02:58

Oh ladeez you are being brilliant!

Boden one is lovely but ive got a wrap dress & can't wear it cos nursing bras don't fit under it properly - they all show.

The actual nursing dress looks amazing - I've got one Frugi dress but no good for wedding - way too floppy and frankly a bit drab. But yes, pricey.

Budget? Well, as little as possible I guess, realistically i know there's not much decent for under £100 but willing to raid if resale possible or it has a life post-wedding.

I've realised I have no big girl shoes at all, except one pair of stupid high heels in pale pink satin. They were for something very specific. And pre-kids. My feet are now wider. Oh god, I'm a total failure at being a girl.

I would consider floral. Depends on the kind of floral I think!

Will check out Asos. Don't know 'em at all. I generally just run into White Stuff once a year, grab anything that looks a bit vintage and pray it goes with Converse. blush

Mij Wed 15-Jun-11 21:08:29

And tatty I had also been thinking of trouser suit type solution but I think they're hellishly difficult to shop for, partly because I'm very fussy about trouser shape (have to be with my arse) and they always seem to be pastel or beige, and I prefer stronger colours. Plus I'd get very little wear out of it, as I work in a jeans/polo neck kinda line. But if you've seen summat cool I'm keeping an open mind on this one!

Mij Wed 15-Jun-11 21:11:12

Oh, and yes she still likes to lie down. She saves the acrobatics for when we're feeding in bed, unlike her older sister did. My top-adjustment reflexes became extremely sharp with DD1 wink

Mij Fri 17-Jun-11 14:20:57

Wow, Asos is astonishing. If a bit overwhelming!

Ambernj1 Fri 17-Jun-11 19:29:41

I have a similar problem coming up (38 weeks pg with several weddings in Aug) and I have gone with a maxi, this one in fact. I went for the marine colour - it's lovely and very forgiving.

I also like this one which I think would work...

Mij Fri 17-Jun-11 22:52:07

Ooh, ambernj1 that looks great. Could I (of the average 40yr old bosom) get away braless in it do you think? ie does that empire cinch offer any support?

I quite like the tropical print - thinking no need for accessories = one less headache.

Ambernj1 Fri 17-Jun-11 23:11:22

Yes the bust is cut reasonably tightly, so risk of sagging would be minimal I'd say, but actually I can wear my massive not insubstantial nursing bras and they don't show. Best strategy possibly to order and try on, as Boden are pretty good with returns, and if you don't need it till August you've got time!

If you are planning to wear heels I'd order the long length as I originally ordered regular but it was ankle swinging (not foot skimming as I prefer) on me and I am only 5'4!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now