Talk

Advanced search

Crackle nail polish

(8 Posts)
CalamityKate Wed 15-Jun-11 13:59:44

Nice, or chavvy?

I ordered some W7 stuff (black) and it arrived today. I am currently sporting Black/Red on my toes (thinking it might be a bit Freddy Krueger though), and White/Black on one very bitten thumb nail.

I made a better job of the thumb - the trick is NOT to go over bits you've already done, like you might with normal polish. It's thick, gloopy stuff and sometimes you can't finish a stroke, but it doesn't matter - just redip the brush and start where you left off.

Nice or not, it's huge fun to watch it crackle in front of your very eyes grin

ceebeegeebies Wed 15-Jun-11 14:03:45

I love it and don't care if it is chavvy lol.

I got the cheapo Barry M stuff. Did loads of experiments with it - found red/black on my fingernails looked a bit like ladybirds grin, white/black would look great with good quality white nail varnish (the one I had was really thin and looked rubbihs) but it looks best with pale (but not too pale) colours - the best it looked was with a mid-shimmery pink colour - they looked fantastic.

Saw an advert for OPI - they now have 6 different 'shatter' colours!!

CalamityKate Wed 15-Jun-11 14:06:35

Ooh if I had fingernails I'd like the ladybird look! grin

I'm going to go to Tesco after the school run and get some brown - I'm thinking leopard print grin

The white I used was actually a French Manicure nail tip white - it still took about 3 coats to get even enough. Might go and take the red/black off my toenails now and try black/white.

How sad that this is the most fun I've had in ages hmm

ceebeegeebies Wed 15-Jun-11 14:09:54

Yeah, the white I used was a french manicure tip one but it was just so thin.

I had forgotten that - I have a pale beige nail polish and that did look great - as you say, like leopard skin.

On the downside, I have a feeling it has ruined my nails as I had lovely long nails when I got it in January and I used it for about 2 months cos I kept trying it with different colours underneath - and my nails have not been the same since sad Really flaky, keep splitting etc etc - maybe it was because I used the cheap stuff hmm

monstersX2 Wed 15-Jun-11 14:13:53

ceebee- My nails went flakey but are fine as long as i use a base coat, if you already do then ignore me smile

ceebeegeebies Wed 15-Jun-11 14:20:04

monstersx2 thanks for that - I generally do use a basecoat but I don't think I always did when using the crackle stuff as I was already putting 2 coats of base colour and then the crackle stuff and didn't have time for a 4th coat aswell.

I assume that there is something in the nail polish that makes it crack that is drying/bad for nails?

Anyway, haven't used it for months as I have been trying to get my nails back (unsuccessfully sad) but am going to a wedding this weekend and this thread has made me want to wear leopard-skin crackle again smile

Evizza Wed 15-Jun-11 14:22:53

I love it !! love it love it love it !! grin

I recently wore shocking pink as the base and the black crackle on top (the barry m one) and then followed with a high gloss top coat. It looked great !!

I am off into town this week for some more colours (currently use the black Barry M and the gold 17 one).

MeAndRoo Wed 15-Jun-11 14:44:53

I just bought the Barry M pink crackle one the other week, looks good over a bright coral-y orange smile nice and summery!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now