Talk

Advanced search

Tatoos; anyone got one on the base of their spine?

(30 Posts)
toptramp Tue 14-Jun-11 19:35:38

I've wanted a tatoo for ages and I know exactly what I want. However, I am a real wimp so don't know if I should have one at the base of my spine or on the top of my buttock but to one side. Does it hurt?

I am not doing this as a fashion statement but as an improtant symbol in my life.

BelovedCunt Tue 14-Jun-11 19:38:43

everyone need improtant symbols in their life but do they have to be on your arse?

unfitmother Tue 14-Jun-11 19:44:34

A 'tramp stamp' ?
Gracious - no!

toptramp Tue 14-Jun-11 20:14:46

Anyone? I am a tramp hence my name!

Karbea Tue 14-Jun-11 20:32:37

I don't really 'get' tattoos, I think they look a bit cheap, but if it's a symbol of your life, wouldn't you want to see it?

Phoenix Tue 14-Jun-11 20:40:49

Yes I have and tbh yes it hurts but you soon forget it, like childbirth. You'll never know how it hurts til you do it. I have 8 tattoos (have had 9 but 1 has been covered) and always think while getting them 'OMG this hurts' but I keep going back for more so it can't be that bad grin.

toptramp Tue 14-Jun-11 22:24:19

I don't want everyone to see my tattoo. Partly because of work; it would look unprofessional. Partly because it won't always go with my outfits so it'e best to keep it covered and partly because I like the idea of only certain people such asme and my lovers knowing that I have one!

donnie Tue 14-Jun-11 22:26:10

but it will look awful when you are 60 won't it?

Casmama Tue 14-Jun-11 22:45:38

If it is just for you and your lovers then I wouldn't go for the tramp stamp as everyone can see them when you bend down to get something etc and then your secret would be out.

QueeferSutherland Tue 14-Jun-11 23:06:33

Arse antlers are VERY visible.

Inner upper arm?
Top of thigh?
Shoulder blade?

notlittlemissperfect Tue 14-Jun-11 23:25:25

I have mine mid back really low down but not betwen my buttocks. It is a symbol and means something to me but it can't be seen by anyone else. It is covered by mu underwear and my trousers and I do do low builder butt jeans so I know it's in a safe place. I was my first tatoo, I only have two and I can say they both hurt. Just take lots of deep slow breaths and breath out the pain. Child birth is so much worse on every level. Saying that I didn't have ay drugs for that. Either way we forget the pain quick enough.

somethingwitty82 Wed 15-Jun-11 00:31:03

I can assure you everything is in pretty bad shape when you hit 60, a tattoo is the least of your worries!

At least they dont turn green anymore

StrawberryMewMew Wed 15-Jun-11 00:32:55

I have one on my lower spine (not the usual tribal tramp stamp though, they are awful looking). And yes, it hurts.

StrawberryMewMew Wed 15-Jun-11 00:35:03

However... Forgot to add.

Pain is subjective though, and what I found agonising you might find painless.

Make sure you go to a reputable studio and don't be afraid to question them about hygene certificates, first aid etc. Or to walk out if you don't like the look of the place. And remember, if you go for cheaper work it will be just that, normally including hygene.

ComradeJing Wed 15-Jun-11 09:06:37

Not the most pain ever. Grit your teeth uncomfortable to "Oh god this really hurts." The worst bit is when it goes over your spine.

If you really want it hidden put it further up your back. Those just over the base of your spine are ALWAYS visible unless your shirt is always tucked in. Or over your hip bone. Or hide it under your (head) hair line.

Many people hate tattoos. You'll get as many criticisms as compliments. I really couldn't get a dead rats arse what you do to your body and I care even less what anyone thinks of mine.

moondog Wed 15-Jun-11 09:53:00

'only certain people such as me and my lovers knowing that I have one'
Are there really people out there who say things like 'my lovers' with no sense of irony whatsover?

lm (untatooed) ae

Mamaz0n Wed 15-Jun-11 09:55:14

top of your arse will be a lot less painful as it is a fleshy area.

The base of your spine will require you to sit uncomfortably througout the Tat and the fact it is a boned area will make it more painful.

Tattoos in general though don't hurt anywhere near as much as you anticipate them to.

Hopefully Wed 15-Jun-11 11:25:40

I've got one at the base of my spine and one on my shoulder and TBH they both hurt about the same. Maybe your bottom would hurt less though? Neither were as bad as I was expecting.

Lugsie Wed 15-Jun-11 11:44:55

I've got tattoos and I actually like them! Yes they hurt but its bearable and depending on how big the tattoo you want is it could be all done within 10 minutes or so.

As for them looking bad at 60 I wouldn't worry about that. Tattoos are so popular these days that most 60 year olds will have them eventually!

monstersX2 Wed 15-Jun-11 12:58:30

I have a tattoo running half way down my spine from my neck and although it hurt it wasn't unbearable (i can be a bit of a whimp and pain makes me feel very sick) and i would have another without worrying.
I've had many compliments on it and fortunately no body has been rude enough to criticise it.

Definately go for somewhere it can be hidden when needed to though.

sprinkles77 Wed 15-Jun-11 15:31:14

I have one on the side of my foot. The tattooist asked if I was sure hmm as it would hurt loads, the most painful place apparently. It was OK. Take a nurafen first. Agree, have it somewhere you can hide it if you want to, I think low on the back will show more than you realise. I have one on my shoulder blade, right in the corner where my bra strap meets the back of the bra. I can wear fairly low backed things and still hide it.

Mamaz0n Wed 15-Jun-11 16:27:44

I have a lot of tats and the foot is seriously painful. Though mine goes across the top rather than along the side, so right where all the bones are.
I could have cried it hurt so much.

I am normally quite happy with the feel of being inked but my word that one hurt

mrsravelstein Wed 15-Jun-11 16:32:14

i've only got one (which i love) which is on my back but sort of over to one side near the hip. i would say it is a bit less visible than the lower mid back ones which indeed do show up if you bend over in the playground.

i nearly passed out when they did it which is odd because i've had more painful things done and been fine... for me it really started to bite when it got to the fleshiest part and wasn't so bad on the lean bit... but i've heard conflicting reports from friends (though sprinkles, everyone i know who has one on their foot agrees that is the most painful!)

GeorgeEliot Wed 15-Jun-11 18:01:16

Arse antlers are horrible

JentlyDoesIt Wed 15-Jun-11 18:07:51

I have 3 tattoos Inc one across my lower back. I love it, it is very personal to me & in fact I'm booked to have it extended in July smile

I found the pain more bearable when lying down rather than hunched over

Can't say I'm looking forward to having it done but the end result will be awesome smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now