Talk

Advanced search

I don't know what to wear anymore

(6 Posts)
Udderly Tue 14-Jun-11 09:25:35

Hello wise S&B people!
I am in a bit of a rut. I have a 7 month old DD and its been a while since I've bought som nice clothes for myself. I'm awkward to dress - I'm small, 5ft2, with shorter legs than upper body (28in), ginormous breastfeeding norks (but they were always big, 36E at the mo) and broad shoulders. I'm going to Take That this weekend and would love some ideas for what to wear and generally some nice casual ideas for summer!

MarmadukeMarmalade Tue 14-Jun-11 21:14:07

Bumpty bumpty for the later crowd

celticlassie Tue 14-Jun-11 21:22:40

For Take That I'd probably wear jeans / crops and a nice vest top thing. Maybe coloured skinnies - I love these. Maybe with a plain vest to take attention off your top half and a scarf - something like this?

Now I want to go to Take That - and wear that exact outfit!

animula Tue 14-Jun-11 21:34:55

How old are you?

Is this a post-baby dress-identity-crisis? It's very common.

I can't give you anything specific - I don't know you but I'm happy to tell you what I did. Not that I'm particularly stylish or beautiful! But I did go through that thing of wondering how on earth I should dress post-baby.

The first answer is kind of obvious - there is nothing, at all, to stop you dressing the way you did before. But it's not so simple, is it? Maybe it was just me, but it didn't feel so simple, somehow.

I found that during pregnancy and the first few months I'd slightly fallen out of the fashion-loop. And I felt I'd "changed" (though I couldn't put my finger on how) and I didn't know how to get my identity matched with clothes, partly because I didn't quite "know" who i was.

All this is probably self-indulgent twaddle!

What I found helped:

I went on an intensive course of window-shopping. I put baby in a sling (and put him on the floor in the changing-room <gasp!> - though sometimes he would be cuddled by shop assistants - I still feel particular love for "Office" shoes on King's Road!) and went out and just looked and looked at clothes, and tried things I liked on.

I also stared very hard at women who's style appealed to me - and tried to work out what I liked. And I looked through magazines (on the cheap, in Sainsbury's!) to look for things I liked.

A bit of confidence came back. I started to buy things, and experiment a bit - and I really used the returns policy shops have these days.

I spent a lot of time in jeans and a T-shirt. But that's OK - most people do!

I'm not fashionable by a long chalk, and I suspect I often look a bit eccentric. I'll never make "groomed" but I do think I've arrived back in the place where I think clothes are fun, rather than a bit mysterious.

Hope some of that is helpful! I know none of it is going to help with the immediate problem of the Take That concert - but for that you'll need to put a bit of a word out about what your usual style is, and where you want to pitch yourself fahion-wise.

Eg. If you're a 40-something woman, it's (still) all about colour-blocks. Though you could try tight cargo-pants and an "ironic-serious" rock top. but that's 40-somethings!

animula Tue 14-Jun-11 21:41:16

Ha! Celticlassie's straight to the target!!

Have a look at the Uniqlo and Urban Outfitters websites. Uniqlo is v. cheap and usually a good point of dispersal of trends in ways that aren't frightening but not frumpy either. And did I say they were pretty cheap?

Urban Outfitters is a bit cooler though far more expensive. Looking at their website is a good way to see things, so that you can then pick up the cheaper lookie-likie somewhere else.

Udderly Tue 14-Jun-11 22:21:02

Aw thanks for the responses!! I don't know that I'd have the balls to pull off yellow cropped jeans, but I now might actually try them on! I'm 32. Animula, thats pretty much exactly how I feel. Before DD, there was work clothes, casual weekend clothes, and going out clothes. I'm a SAHM for the next year maybe. I haven't been on a proper night out since Jan last year, not that I anticipate many of them in the near future. I'm going to check out Uniqlo and Urban Outfitters, will be limited to online as there are no stores locally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now