Talk

Advanced search

SLS free shampoo for Psoriasis

(21 Posts)
MissFoodie Mon 13-Jun-11 16:36:36

Can anyone recommend a good shampoo that is sulfate free for mild scalp Psoriasis? (for adult, not a child!)
or a home made remedy?
Has anyone tried Apple Cider Vinegar? or is this a myth?

Ixia Mon 13-Jun-11 17:24:57

Lots of shampoo on here...

www.mypure.co.uk/

More to say, but have to dash...

growingstrawberries Mon 13-Jun-11 17:26:17

Urtekram products are free from most irritants.

I get mine from Goodness Direct.

also a good range of gentle products at theremustbeabetterway too.

kyacat Mon 13-Jun-11 19:28:05

The Bodyshop have SLS-free and paraben-free shampoos, they are good smile

Ixia Mon 13-Jun-11 19:58:35

My mum has suffered with quite bad psoriasis on her scalp for years and has tried a lot of products.
She sticks with shampoos that are as chemical free as possible,this one at the moment -

www.weleda.co.uk/calendula-products/calendula+chamomile-shampoo-250ml/invt/103014/

She's also had limited success with this...

www.trustnature.com/derm-essentials/seborrheic-dermatitis.html

Although it's not technically for psoriasis. But she tends to use just coconut oil on her scalp now, let it soak in, then comb out the flakes.

DH also has psoriasis (although not much on his scalp). He finds sunlight and soaking in dead sea salts the best help.

MissFoodie Mon 13-Jun-11 21:21:04

Thanks Ixia - after the coconut oil, does she shampoo with the weleda one then?

mumtoted Mon 13-Jun-11 21:57:01

Moo Goo.

Ixia Mon 13-Jun-11 23:10:24

MissFoodie - Yes. She sometimes leaves the coconut oil on overnight (towel over pillow), combs it out in the shower in the morning.

mumtoted - Lol at Moo Goo, my Dad's a retired farmer and recommended udder cream for every ill, I thought he was bonkers, I'd no idea someone has made a business out of it!

awaywego1 Mon 13-Jun-11 23:17:08

weleda are good..or cheaper waitrose organic shampoo and conditioner.

MissFoodie Tue 14-Jun-11 08:23:57

So far I've tried Liz Earle, Beyond organic, Tara Smith, A'Kin.....

thehairybabysmum Tue 14-Jun-11 08:35:14

I use a Boots 'Sensitive Scalp' shamppo that is v. good. No idea if it is SLS free though.

fishie Tue 14-Jun-11 09:36:06

my sister uses aveda and they'll refund you if it irritates. I find organic stuff can be rather harsh.

BelleOfTheBawl Tue 14-Jun-11 10:51:36

Aveda is eco friendly but not non toxic, basically they are good for the environment in that they use wind power and use sustainable ingeredients etc but they have sls etc in their products so not good for your skin/body.

I would suggest buying nothing off the highstreet and don't go for something because it says organic on it, read the ingredients and avoid sls, sles, parabens and sulphates, which are the main ones but anything too chemically sounding or a very long ingredient list is generally not good. If you google cosmetic database you can get a better idea of what everthing is, site isn't working for me right now though.

I can recommend lavera as a good, well priced product that is sls free, they do a basis range which is even gentler. I prefer their 'normal' stuff but don't have skin issues to consider. Lucy rose is a really good site because the delivery is free so it's easy to see the price of the products. They sell weleda and green people too which are also good. You can also pick some free samples to try.

JennyPiccolo Tue 14-Jun-11 16:16:56

aussie shampoos are sls free, if you're just wanting one from asda.

Ixia Tue 14-Jun-11 17:25:35

Aussie shampoos aren't SLS free.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 14-Jun-11 19:15:35

The Rainforest Shine range at Body Shop is free of SLS, Parabens etc. Link HERE to one variety, but there are more. I've not used it, but I have used the sister range of Shower Gels which really does not irritate my eczema.

THIS by Philip Kingsley is what I default to when my scalp flares up. Pricer but just fab. SLS and Paraben free.

MissFoodie Tue 14-Jun-11 20:12:43

has anyone tried barefoot botanicals SOS shampoo????

SandyChick Tue 14-Jun-11 22:17:31

I have psoriasis on my scalp. I've found Simples shampoo and conditioner really good for my scalp but my hair never felt properly clean. I had to wash and rinse it twice. I've recently been using Elvive with selenium which is ok but think I'll go back to Simple once the Elvive one has ran out. I might try Weleda or maybe the bidyshop. The Simple shampoo is the only shampoo I have ever used that has made a different to my scalp. I would say that for the 12 months I used it my scalp was flake/itch free.

AKMD Tue 14-Jun-11 22:35:00

Waitrose Baby shampoo, here

MissFoodie Wed 15-Jun-11 16:56:25

thx all - going to try barefoot Botanicals, Dr organic and tisserand...

Ixia Wed 15-Jun-11 17:24:33

Holland and Barratt have Dr.Organic. The waitrose baby stuff in the link above is v.good, I'd forgotten we used the shampoo as bubble bath for DD when she had baby eczema (I've never used shampoo on her and she's 6 now).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now