Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Skinnies - do they really suit everyone?

(13 Posts)
Zwitterion Mon 13-Jun-11 11:04:40

Realise I'm coming to the party at least 10 years to late.....

But do they really suit everyone? I've avoided as I have skinny legs, big boobs and wide shoulders so just think they would make me look more carrot like.

But now I'm intrigued. What do you all reckon?

madammecholet Mon 13-Jun-11 11:55:01

Its all about how you wear them and how you create balance. I'm not of the 'you can't wear this' 'you can't wear that' brigade, but I am also not a 'wear what you like'. I am from the 'wear what suits you' camp.

If you have skinny legs then try them with chunky boots/ uggs (did I really just recommend those shoes of the devil) or chunky wedges so you dont look too tapered at your ankles (creating the carrot shape), make sure you also wear a top which does not highlight your broadness, ie no shoulderpads or shoulder detailing, wear simple understated T and layering & draw the eye to your waist with a hipster belt or bright cinched in waisted belt....

try them, see of they work for you..

pink4ever Mon 13-Jun-11 12:31:03

Nope they suit very few people imo. Basically I think if you over a size 12 then they are to be avoided at all costs<awaits flaming>. I am a size 14 and have what sounds like a very similiar build to you-look fecking hideous in them. Also cannot stand the skinny jeans,killer heels and vest top look that is everywhere. Looks very cheap imo.

madammecholet Mon 13-Jun-11 14:01:10

<Holds match against wodge of flamey paper>

MizzyFizzy Mon 13-Jun-11 14:07:52

I'm a 'carrot' shape too! grin

I wear skinnies but only in the winter with calf/knee length chunky boots and a tunic style bum covering jumper. I use a chunky necklace to draw the eye away from my shoulders and in towards my middle.

Long chunky necklace with slash neck jumpers and short chunky necklace with V necks. 3/4 sleeves (or rolled up sleeves) also seem to help draw attention away from shoulder area.

I don't own any round/crew neck anything...to avoid the 'Hulk' shoulder look.

I also have skinny ankles so never, ever wear my skinnies with wedges, flip flops or ballet pumps. I always end up looking like I'm wearing the boxes the shoes came in rather than the shoes themselves if I do....not a good look!

Meggles76 Mon 13-Jun-11 14:13:42

IMO, clothes in general look better on the tall and slender - however, the reality is that many of us are neither. I am 5ft and a curvy 8 - 10. I wear skinny jeans but I think there are a few things to bear in mind if you do so:

1. Dark coloured skinnies will always be more flattering and slimming than light coloured ones
2. High waisted ones are also more flattering - nothing worse than flesh spilling over the top of a waistband IMO.
3. As I am short, I wear with wedges to create an illusion of height
4. If you are wearing skinnies, pair with a loose fitting top - I wear looser cotton tops and boxy ts

kyacat Mon 13-Jun-11 14:13:46

I am a bit carrot-like too and I agree with chunky footwear to balance them out. I have a pair of chunky man-style boots that make me feel very badass grin my mum saw them and said "oh they look.. comfortable" Ha!

When I'm wearing skinnies I also usually wear a loose fitting top or shirt, so I don't look too skin tight.

thestringcheeseincident Mon 13-Jun-11 14:16:20

I prefer dark very straight leg jeans. Not quite skinnies.
They suit my 12 frame better. Skinnies not so good.

Zwitterion Mon 13-Jun-11 17:47:11

Thanks everyone for your replies - seems a resounding yes (apart from Pink)

So where are your top skinny shops?

WhatsWrongWithYou Mon 13-Jun-11 18:14:23

Stringcheese, where do you get your dark straights from? Most of the ones I've seen have faded bits on the thighs.
I've got dark skinnies, but my straights came from Primark last year blush.
I think it's time to upgrade!

Paschaelina Mon 13-Jun-11 18:16:08

IMO 90% of people wearing skinnies look terrible.

thestringcheeseincident Mon 13-Jun-11 18:16:27

I got some from oasis. Cherry I think they're called. Probably labelled as skinny but not tight round ankle. Look good with lots of different shoes!

WhatsWrongWithYou Mon 13-Jun-11 21:45:00

Thank you will have a look.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: