Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

do i throw out old faithful grotty knickers?

(24 Posts)
lollipoppet Sat 11-Jun-11 23:48:56

I feel I should get rid of my super comfy massive knickers that I know repulse dp and cause me to have a panic attack if he tries to get amorous and I know I've got them on...
I know I should but just need a little push! Then I'll buy some basic black thongs (much more appealing to dp) and start buying pretty sets again.
Is anyone like this with underwear? (please someone say yes...)

Brevity Sat 11-Jun-11 23:52:36

Yep, but tend to keep them as period pants, that sounds grim blush

Have just had a cull of pants and feel much better for it, though I tend to worry more about being run over and being seen in said pants- than worrying about DP seeing them.

madhattershouse Sat 11-Jun-11 23:56:41

I have given up on anything but large comfies! After 13 years if dp wants underwear that chafes....he can bloomin wear it! grin

PilgrimSoul Sat 11-Jun-11 23:57:50

Oh I have just had a cull too, I was pants shopping today, and they are actually very cheap, and there is actually no excuse for the faded crotch (tmi) and grotty ones I was wearing.

Its not for a dp, just me.

lollipoppet Sat 11-Jun-11 23:57:57

Why would being run over cause all your clothes to fall off??

Brevity Sat 11-Jun-11 23:59:54

Seen by emergency services and a/e staff- as you can see I've given it some thought!

greencolorpack Sun 12-Jun-11 00:00:39

Brevity, you'd probably have other things to worry about.

However I remember once seeing one of those A and E programmes, there was a woman in that had a crash and she was wearing a really nice frilly bra and pants set, with polka dots, I thought, that's really classy, she's lucky she was run down with those on. Then I felt all weird because why should I care about that woman's clothes?

I was never confused.

madhattershouse Sun 12-Jun-11 00:02:08

brevity I really think they will not be worrying about old knicks if they need to strip you! It's putting the faded ones on the line that does my head in...have to dry them inside!

GooGooGadget Sun 12-Jun-11 00:03:51

have lots of pairs of big black comfy pants from matalan which I have had for years but are not embarassing in the slightest. they are not faded or elasticy. Get some.

lollipoppet Sun 12-Jun-11 08:05:26

Yes madhatter I refuse to dry mine on the line too!

MissBeehiving Sun 12-Jun-11 09:29:41

God I hate thongs, and I'm actually not sure they do the wearer any favours arse wise either.

BluddyMoFo Sun 12-Jun-11 09:31:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pantaloons Sun 12-Jun-11 09:38:26

My friend came off her horse in her best black lacy thong, she was mortified when they cut off her jodpurs and rolled her over to check her back! Lots of arse on show and red cheeks at both ends!!

I have to say I do like my old comfies, but there is really no excuse for this apart from the fact that I'm a bit of an I'll do it next week kind of girl. Coupled with the fact DH would shag me in a bin bag, not because I am lovely and slim, more that that's how we are.

Bunbaker Sun 12-Jun-11 09:45:39

"God I hate thongs, and I'm actually not sure they do the wearer any favours arse wise either."

Or healthwise. You can buy comfy but pretty high leg knickers from M & S.

Evizza Sun 12-Jun-11 09:50:24

Funny enough, last year I had to sly a pair of hubbys boxer shorts in the bin. He had them bought before we got together (we have been together 12 years).

He called them his lucky pants and I swear, by the time I threw them out they were just a waistband with a few threads and the odd patch of scruffy material. They reached his knees shock Shameful !! He still moans about me throwing them away lol !!

Karbea Sun 12-Jun-11 09:59:44

Yes do it, I always feel better wearing nice undies. And you don't have to buy thongs you could buy nice normal knickers...

cleverything Sun 12-Jun-11 12:14:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lollipoppet Sun 12-Jun-11 21:47:35

Uh oh, I seem to have portrayed dp as a tyrant when it comes to pants! He'd happily shag me in whatever but I am embarrassed by said pants and I do feel like I should make an effort to look good for him (old fashioned I know! I also have his tea on the table as soon as he gets home and get up at 5am with him to make him a cup of tea... madness?) Anyway. I have done it! I have thrown away all scruffy knicks, par one enormous pair for emergencies! Hooray, make way for the new pants!

bluebobbin Sun 12-Jun-11 21:55:04

I buy all black knickers now so they don't end up looking scruffy (or bloodstained!). You can still be comfortable and have smart looking knickers (hate thongs!).

wendihouse22 Mon 13-Jun-11 15:34:31

Throw them.

I'm ashamed of my bras ATM but can't afford to replace them.

coastgirl Mon 13-Jun-11 20:37:00

Places like Primark do bra and knicker sets for £5/6 - if you're a standard bra size they're absolutely fine. I'm usually a small size when not pg and have often got nice sets on the reduced rail for £3! Same goes for any cheapish shop - Peacocks, New Look - just shop wisely and you can get cotton ones, they're not all cheap scratchy lace. Bung one of those sets in your basket every time you're in town and you'll have a drawer full of only pretty drawers in no time! Life's too short to wear old horrible pants.

HonestyBox Mon 13-Jun-11 21:22:41

Thongs only okay if you have no hint of a flat arse going on.

wendihouse22 Tue 14-Jun-11 09:20:40

Thanks coastgirl....

PerryCombover Tue 14-Jun-11 09:41:10

get brazilians

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: