Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

dress for a millionaires wedding

(26 Posts)
mamasmissionimpossible Sat 11-Jun-11 21:08:50

I am going to be singing in a choir at a wealthy businessmans wedding next month. Unfortunately, I am not a millionaire grin but I would like a lovely dress to wear for the occassion.

I am size 14, 5ft 8 with large boobs, hourglass shape. I would prefer something I can cover my upper arms and my thighs.

If I can get something for less than £50 that would be great.

nokissymum Sat 11-Jun-11 21:11:59

If you are in london go to finsbury park, check fonthill road, youll find a nice affordable dress there.

mamasmissionimpossible Sat 11-Jun-11 21:17:07

nokissymum - I'm not in London sadly, but thanks anyway.

nokissymum Sat 11-Jun-11 21:25:14

Oh what a shame. Do you want a floor length gown or short ? This might sound odd but worth checking a prom dress shop, they usually have collections which arent barbie princess like but will make a statement.

mamasmissionimpossible Sat 11-Jun-11 21:27:39

I'm looking for just above knee length, ideally. I'm worried I may trip over a long dress on the night! I will be nervous as it is.
I will try a prom dress shop.

nokissymum Sat 11-Jun-11 21:35:47

Its a tough one, you could look at the normal high street shops but at a wedding you run the risk of bumping into someone wearing the same dress!

What about denhams ? Or Red herring sometimes have some nice evening type dresses, might be slightly over budget though. Have you looked online ?

mamasmissionimpossible Sat 11-Jun-11 21:49:15

I have looked online at most of the high street stores, but I can't find anything that is quite right. I hoped MN may give me some ideas.

DrNortherner Sat 11-Jun-11 21:53:37

this?

sailorsgal Sat 11-Jun-11 22:00:38

have a look on damsel in a dress website or I would think something from lk bennett would be suitable.

blondepinhead Sat 11-Jun-11 22:43:20

Have you tried any sale sites? The Hobbs Outlet site is pretty good, have found some nice things on there in the past, when I haven't been too bothered about 'seasonal' things.

Petrol blue?

Stripey?

Confession - I actually own the 2nd one in a size 12. It's genuinely lovely. So don't be mean!

vanillamum Sun 12-Jun-11 14:15:11

blonde-I think the stripe one is gorgeous, was going to order it myself but did not have my size. But i would second buying that with a bolero cardigan and you are sorted and not much over budget. However, what about ordering this keats floral. I know it looks a bit loud but it covers your problem areas up and is in budget, also being 100% silk it could look better in real-life than on the web. Also Hobbs is free returns so no risk.

blondepinhead Sun 12-Jun-11 15:08:12

I think the keats floral is lovely, go for it!

mamasmissionimpossible Sun 12-Jun-11 15:17:03

thanks, I like the dresses, but they look much too short for me. I was ideally looking for knee length.

blushingm Sun 12-Jun-11 15:55:27

prett kitty do some lovely dresses

pinksky Sun 12-Jun-11 16:14:43

House of Fraser have a good sale on atm, I like these, although not sure any are quite what you're looking for

biba -don't think you'd trip in this

alexon

linea

linea

and from debenhams

julien m

If you are worried about smooth lines, I recently bought a shaping slip from debenhams to under a slinky dress at a black tie do and it was fantastic.

mamasmissionimpossible Sun 12-Jun-11 16:43:52

pinksky - thanks I like that alexon dress.

Can you post link to the shaping slip from debenhams please.

brookeslay Sun 12-Jun-11 16:55:35

here good for hourglass

brookeslay Sun 12-Jun-11 16:55:55

the rose one

mamasmissionimpossible Sun 12-Jun-11 16:59:26

brookeslay- um sorry, I don't want to look like my Granny in the 50s!

brookeslay Sun 12-Jun-11 17:10:34

That made me laugh I thought the rose one pretty not keen on the others. Have you tried Pepperberry if you are curvy ?.
Whose style do you like ?
What is your aim to look sophiscated, slinky ?
The alexon one I could not see the link so not able to check your preferences.

ATripperToTheLast Sun 12-Jun-11 17:20:40

Have a look on ebay for LK Bennett, they do nice ones

brookeslay Sun 12-Jun-11 17:34:30

I managed to see the alexon maxi pretty and good price.

cleverything Sun 12-Jun-11 17:36:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mamasmissionimpossible Sun 12-Jun-11 18:19:29

brookeslay - I'm glad it made you laugh and you weren't offended! I am grateful for your help, but the dress just really isn't 'me'

I would like to look sophisticated, however I am not sure how easy that will be to achieve, given that I live in jeans mostly grin

I admire the style of Jennifer Aniston's and Audrey Hepbern.

I am wondering if that purple dress will suit my colouring. I am fair/celtic (think Cate Blanchett/Gywneth Paltrow..or so people say!)

Don't mind vintage, if it comes in budget. I will need to get shoes and a cover up so that's why I don't want an expensive dress.

brookeslay Sun 12-Jun-11 19:39:34

here inspiration

love this very celtic look great with silver.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: