Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

silicone free hair stuff

(17 Posts)
sprinkles77 Sat 11-Jun-11 14:26:28

I have weaned myself off silicone hair things because they, combined with colour and heat styling, left my hair flat and stiff and very dark. But I crave the amazing shine! I've been using tresemme naturals shampoo and conditioner, which are not that great. Recently using head and shoulders for dry hair and a boots own brand hair mask. And GHD heat defense spray. But i want that shine back! Moroccan oil has silicone in it. Hate the smell of olive oil. Any suggestions for silicone free? Anyone tried coconut oil on hair other than asian or afro- carribean? I'm on a bit of a budget and don't want to spend on something that doesn't work, so max about £10.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes Sat 11-Jun-11 16:18:36

I have also weaned myself off silicones, and am now using the following

Aussie Frizz Miracle Shampoo and conditioner, followed by a good squirt of Boots Botanics Leave In Volumising Conditioner and a tiny amount of Boots Curl Creme. I don't need heat protection as I let it dry naturally. It looks pretty glossy.

neuroticmumof3 Sat 11-Jun-11 16:22:09

Modern Organic Products do silicone free shine drops in their Glisten range, not sure about the price though

FriedaRoam Sat 11-Jun-11 16:30:01

Why are silicones bad ?

fluffles Sat 11-Jun-11 16:31:56

are you curly or straight?

boots do a great 'pink' curl cream in their basics range which is silicone free and water soluble.. it's brilliant for curlies but i reckon you could maybe get away with using a tiny bit on straight hair.

Pippaandpolly Sat 11-Jun-11 16:37:38

Liz Earle shampoo and conditioners (choice of three of the latter) give amazing shine.

Piccalilli2 Sat 11-Jun-11 16:46:53

Aussie is brilliant - transformed my hair and smells luscious.

I think silicone is bad because it coats the hair so it looks shiny but basically the silicone is like varnish and over time strips the moisture out of your hair leaving it brittle - that's what a hairdresser told me anyway

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes Sat 11-Jun-11 18:12:49

My hair is a mix of straight (on top), wavy (in the middle) and curly (at the ends) and the Curl creme is fine.

Igetknockeddownbutgetupagain Sat 11-Jun-11 18:38:57

I used to have long blonde, bleached hair (I know, I know, I was young and didn't know any better!) and one day decided I was sick of it. I hacked it all off into a sleek inverted bob and I've never been happier. The hairdresser said to do the following and now people chase me down the street to ask where I get my hair done (sorry to brag, but its for a good cause).

Alternate V05 Hot oils and John Frieda colourless gloss products alongside normal shampoos and conditioners. Annoyingly, the John Frieda Gloss has been discontinued in a lot of places, but I can easily get it on Ebay.

sprinkles77 Sat 11-Jun-11 20:38:20

Thanks for all the tips! grin I'm sort of wavy rather than curly, use the ghds 2-3 x a week. I'm off the silicone cos it coats the hair, then gets cooked by the ghds. Long term it left my colour flat and dull and the hair sort of stiff and brittle. It also makes changing your hair colour difficult!

FriedaRoam Sat 11-Jun-11 20:50:00

Ohbi see. Thanks. I never knew that

caffinequeen Sat 11-Jun-11 23:11:49

I use a Naked one for long hair or Johnson & Johnson baby leave in conditioner. The latter was bought for my 3 year old but I have been known to pinch it. Smells gorgeous and leaves your hair really soft.

caffinequeen Sun 12-Jun-11 10:02:23

Sorry have checked the Johnson's one and it does have silicone. I either misread the label of the old tube I had or they have changed the ingredients since I first bought it about a year ago. Damn! Icm trying to avoid silicon conditioner too!

Haven't tried the rainforest range in body shop but think they are silicone free.

MissHonkover Sun 12-Jun-11 10:14:43

Have a look here: www.britishcurlies.co.uk/curl_forum/viewthread/215/

It's a list of silicone free products available on the high street. Lots of them are intended for curly haired people but you might find something that catches your eye.

MummyTo2MonkeysAnd1Bug Sun 12-Jun-11 11:45:08

Naked hair products are all silicone free - also Boots Naturals are - their coconut and almond hair mask smells amazing and leaves hair wonderfully shiny.

As for a serum alternative - Boots Vitamin E facial oil - silicone free i use it as a hair serum, cuticle oil, eye cream, the possibilities are endless!!

And steer well clear of Schwarzkopf LIVE XXL hair colours - they are full of silicone and combined with heated products they literally cook your hair.

sprinkles77 Sun 12-Jun-11 18:04:58

Thanks for all the responses. Going to give my advantage card a work out tomorrow!

kyacat Sun 12-Jun-11 20:13:59

Unrefined coconut oil is very good for hair. Silicone is actually not bad as such but yes it does coat the hair. You can still use silicones and enjoy the shine and protection they give, as long as you use a clarifying shampoo regularly. Not everyone's hair can handle them though.

The Bodyshop have started a range of SLS, paraben and silicone-free products, called rainforest shine. They smell lovely and leave my hair soft and manageable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: