Talk

Advanced search

Going out for drinks and dancing, I have no clue what people wear to go dancing anymore. I may as well be going to the moon!

(23 Posts)
trixymalixy Sat 11-Jun-11 09:20:27

Going out with ex colleagues all in our mid thirties. God knows whose idea it was to go dancing instead of our usual reunion in a restaurant.

What do people wear out on the town these days? It's been a looooong time since I've been out on a Saturday night!!

madammecholet Sat 11-Jun-11 09:25:20

if you can get away with jeans (check which club you are going to) wear skinnies with killer heels and a top with some sparkly detailing. I have a black sequin fitted vest which looks great with jeans and patent peep toes for dancing the night away.

If you cannot, swap jeans for black cigarette style (fitted) trousers and wear either shoe boots (high ankle boots) and again a top with some detailing.

You can slip a black blazer & scarf over both of these for your walk home smile. Of course I may be way off with your own style, what do you like wearing?!?!?
grin

trixymalixy Sat 11-Jun-11 09:47:18

I normally wear dresses, haven't worn my skinny jeans for ages, as felt I was a bit too fat for them. Have lost 8 pounds since I last wore them so might dig them out and havexa trawl through my drawers for a top.

Thanks.

superv1xen Sat 11-Jun-11 10:38:02

haha i had this a couple of saturdays ago

i am 31 and went out with some of my younger friends, "clubbing" hmm

i hadnt been to this particular club for about 6 years, but we had a brilliant night. i wore a black "skater style" mini skirt with a tight black vest and knee high black leather boots. with a cropped denim jacket over the top. but i agree with the others with skinny jeans and nice top if you werent comfortable with a skirt or anything too revealing.

have a great night!

pink4ever Sat 11-Jun-11 10:49:39

Sorry but I just dont get the whole skinny jeans and tops thing for nights out. Firstly it only looks good if you actually are "skinny" and secondly I dont think it is smart/special enough for a night out.
Personally I would go for a nice dress-either a tea dress(maybe with leggings?) or a maxi dress(I know they get a pasting on here but I love them). Plus with a maxi you can get away with wearing flats and still dance the night away!.

madammecholet Sat 11-Jun-11 10:54:42

A tea dress...in a club?? Agree Maxi is ok, but a tea dress I would question...

Also, I am not skinny pink and I wear skinnies with heels or boots and a top which comes to half way down my bum. I am 5'9 and curvy and it looks just fab...skinnies can work on many shapes, but I agree it is how you wear them. Not all fashion suits all shapes, but you cannot discount people from wearing skinnies because they are not skinny?

Sorry to not agree with you....hmm

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sat 11-Jun-11 10:57:40

Absolutely no to a tea dress in a club (she says, as if she actually ever GOES to clubs anymore!!!). I wouldn't wear a maxi dress either. I would wear my trusty Anglomania dress or grey skinny-ish combats with heels and a silk top.

DotRotten Sat 11-Jun-11 10:57:56

Dress & shoe boots?

I think that's what the young'uns are wearing these days.confused

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sat 11-Jun-11 10:59:43

DD1 is currently sporting ultra skinny jeans, stupidly high brown leather shootboot/sandal things and a cream lace top and looks as if it would take her anywhere from a barbecue to a night club. It helps that she is size 8 and 5'7 I guess. envy

ruddynorah Sat 11-Jun-11 11:00:06

You'd rather stand out in a club in a tea dress or maxi dress.

Most people wear smart shorts or those tapered chinos that are everywhere. Then a vest or boob tube, often in a very bright colour block. If not a vest then a t shirt. Look on river island website 'look book' for ideas.

Also there will be loads of girls in very very short bodycon dresses.

pink4ever Sat 11-Jun-11 11:21:43

Eh this is a grown women we are talking about not a teenager!(shorts?,bodycon micro minis? wtf!). Also I have a sister who is alot younger than I and who is out clubbing every weekend who assures me that all the young girls are wearing maxis(or those vile harem pants that everyone keeps reccomending on here-vile.really.)
Op maybe skinnies do look good on you as you are quite tall but I think alot of women fool themselves that they suit them because they are fashionable-they really dont. Even my dh(who wouldnt know fashion if it hit him in the face) commented on the skinnies with flats aka "max wall look" and how truly hideous it is.

ENormaSnob Sat 11-Jun-11 11:25:30

Maxi or tea dress will look ridiculous in a pub.

ruddynorah Sat 11-Jun-11 11:30:03

She's 35. I'm 30. Obviously it depends on body shape etc but I would, and do, wear tapered trousers, boob tube, belt, heels. Miss selfridge and river island have good options at the moment. No need to look like a teen so yes you swap shorts for trousers, maybe boob tube for t shirt.

pink4ever Sat 11-Jun-11 11:30:45

Eh I beg to differ. I was out last night with the girls. Not clubbing but went to bars and say many,many girls in maxis(including myself and one of my pals) and tea-dresses. Also saw many teenagers in very short dresses/skirts with tops/vests but then *they are teenagers*hmm. Do you all go out without jackets then?.

ruddynorah Sat 11-Jun-11 11:33:22

Sometimes a soft cropped sleeve jacket, or a cocoon type cardigan, but not if clubbing really.

Gillybobs Sat 11-Jun-11 12:14:57

Of course you can wear skinnies when your not stick thin/teenager, Im 5 7 and a size 16 but I have great legs so skinnies with the right shape/length of top is a great look. Its about your porportions as much as your overall size. My very slim sister doesnt wear skinnies as she carries what little weight she has on her thighs and doesnt feel it flatters her. Would concur that they do look better with heels than flats on most folk.

Have never seen a tea dress in a club and think Maxis are great for dinner/drinks but perhaps not so great for dancing???

Fifis25StottieCakes Sat 11-Jun-11 12:22:31

Im skinny but could not go clubbing in my skinny jeans, far too uncomfortable

I am 34 but agrees all the youngins are wearing maxi's or playsuits long or short. I would probably wear a trouser playsuit

Have fun grin

madammecholet Sat 11-Jun-11 12:50:29

Pink I have never seen a thread on S&B recommending hareem pants? I think most threads are slating them....and rightly so!

Trixy wear what you feel confident in, as it you're confident and happy no one will care what you are wearing. If you wear something outside of your comfort zone then it'll show. Dress anything up with killer heels and jewellery and you'll be fine.

Have a lovely night smile

trixymalixy Sat 11-Jun-11 13:04:58

Had been considering wearing this dress will I look middle aged and frumpy?

It's more likely to be a bar with a dancefloor rather than an actual club.

I have tapered trousers, but wear them to work, so not sure about wearing them. Also have hareems but wore them last time we went out for dinner.

trixymalixy Sat 11-Jun-11 13:25:43

I think whatever I wear I won't feel that comfortable!!

madammecholet Sat 11-Jun-11 13:35:29

No, not at all. Accessorise with silver/gold big hoop earrings and some chunky bracelets. What are you wearing on your feet? Nothing too clumpy!

Fifis25StottieCakes Sat 11-Jun-11 18:43:26

Trixy, i think thats fine. You will be comfortable for dancing. What about some nice dressy wedges.

threadsoffeeling Sat 11-Jun-11 18:50:54

wear a dress and nice shoes. either heels or flats, but not the inbetween nasty things. just make sure you are comfortable. as you arent on the pull, you just need to make sure that you feel you look good, and you look good compared with your friends. what the 19 year olds are wearing doesnt matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now