Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Who wants to help me find a new suit?

(23 Posts)
stainesmassif Sat 11-Jun-11 07:16:18

Am on mat leave, have interview next week within my current organisation.
I've lost a bit of weight whilst off and dropped s dress size.
I'm 5.4 and 10 stone, large of bust. Max £200 budget.

stainesmassif Sat 11-Jun-11 09:46:25

Ah, come on, it'll be fun! Trousers v skirts etc etc.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sat 11-Jun-11 09:50:53

Hobbs have some nice jackets in their outlet bit online. I think a dress and a jacket or a skirt and not necessarily matching) jacket much nicer than a trouser suit, personally.

stainesmassif Sat 11-Jun-11 09:58:10

Ooh good idea, colonel and much more versatile. I haven't looked in Hobbs for ages, but have a vague impression of matronliness?

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sat 11-Jun-11 10:00:44

You do need to look amongst some matronly stuff but some of it is fab. I am a recent convert!

stainesmassif Sat 11-Jun-11 10:45:45

what do you think of this one?

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sat 11-Jun-11 10:49:48

What's it called? The Hobbs site never links to specific items - just to all of the jackets.

stainesmassif Sat 11-Jun-11 11:06:09

oh bugger now i can't find it again and ds is starting to grizzle. i will return. thanks Colonel.

scotsgirl23 Sat 11-Jun-11 13:41:58

Sorry to hijack but Colonel (or anyone else!) can you give any guidance as to sizing in Hobbs? I have a new job starting soon which requires a much smarter wardrobe so a few suit jackets/smart jackets might be required. And possibly some complete suits and dresses. There is some lovely stuff on the outlet site!

iheartdusty Sat 11-Jun-11 22:28:49

OP have you looked at Austin Reed in their sale stuff? v v professional, and excellent for the large bosom IME.

I always find Hobbs to be small sizewise, but I am quite large in the bust and that's usually the problem. Cut for a small frame, i think, but quite a curvy cut usually.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sun 12-Jun-11 17:48:27

I find that the jackets come up big in Hobbs and the tops come up a bit small (am also norky). Skirts and dresses pretty true ime. Shoes - stupidly big.

stainesmassif Sun 12-Jun-11 17:50:37

Still haven't had a chance to sit down with the laptop for some serious opinion seeking. Bloody babies. How does everyone else find the time??

stainesmassif Sun 12-Jun-11 17:51:18

Ps thanks dusty will check out Austin reed.

stainesmassif Mon 13-Jun-11 07:10:08

hi

what do you think of the hobbs castela jacket? am really not sure, so feel free to shoot down in flames

stainesmassif Mon 13-Jun-11 07:12:02

or the delaunay

stainesmassif Mon 13-Jun-11 07:12:34

or the golford?

stainesmassif Mon 13-Jun-11 07:18:44

i think i'd need to go into austin reed. the website makes it look like they have 900 identical suits in slightly differing shades of grey.

Mumelie Mon 13-Jun-11 10:32:24

I really like the Golford Hobbs jacket as think it can do summer and winter, would go with a lot more than just the matching skirt and is a little bit different.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Mon 13-Jun-11 16:58:42

Not so fond of the Delauney one as it looks v severe with that high neck. I don't think it would work with large norks, especially fastened. I like:
Cabot
Maria
Adelphi
Chapelle
Fitzjohn
Holly (this is lovely but massive irl - the 12 absolutely drowned me)
Keats (LOVE this one)
The Golford is cute too and whilst not a v neck is softer looking than the Delauney.

stainesmassif Mon 13-Jun-11 21:04:40

Change of plan.....i forgot that i have a dress similar to this in black with beige polkadots. Do you think this could work with a jacket?
And do you know the jacket?
Love the jackets you posted to, btw, colonel.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Mon 13-Jun-11 21:11:57

I think the dress would be fine with a black jacket over it - maybe the Keats one? It would depend where it ended, I guess, re the wrap over bit of the dress. I don't wear wrap dresses so don't really know what kind of jacket is best with them, sorry.

stainesmassif Mon 13-Jun-11 21:15:19

Yes, the wrap tie is actually in the middle of the dress, rather than the side. Maybe it wouldnt work. The wrap bits look a bit like a tie. I'm making it sound horrible! It would prob work best with a cardigan, but not for interview.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Mon 13-Jun-11 21:33:30

I think it's deffo worth a try.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: