Talk

Advanced search

matching toe/finger nail polish

(21 Posts)
gapants Fri 10-Jun-11 19:55:41

Is this a yes or no?

I have a wedding tomorrow, have nice bright orange on my toes, looks great with my wedges and my tan. Now do i do the fingernails the same?

Cutiecat Sat 11-Jun-11 01:22:45

No i think it might be a bit much. Go nude on your hands.

5DollarShake Sat 11-Jun-11 01:56:09

I think the rule is no.

A whore's toes and a nun's hands.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 11-Jun-11 07:10:54

5DollarShake -so true and v. funny!

No, nude hands definitely.

gapants Sat 11-Jun-11 10:13:33

nude as in no nail polish whatsoever or nude as in a nude colour? confused

Thank you!

A nude colour. Or no polish and just neat nails, cuticles etc. Whichever you prefer.

Just not bright orange! grin

smartyparts Sat 11-Jun-11 10:27:28

Nude colour on hands

Justfeckingdoit Sat 11-Jun-11 10:30:25

5dollarshake brilliant. Am so nicking that one smile

gapants Sat 11-Jun-11 10:30:34

OK, gotcha, will comply. grin

chipstick10 Sat 11-Jun-11 10:40:42

Whoa i stand alone here, whatever polish i have on my toes i wear on my fingers. Didnt realise i was making such a faux par blush

FaffTastic Sat 11-Jun-11 14:42:58

I've got matching coral toes and fingernails at the mo. Nearly always wear matching. Are people secretly laughing and commenting behind my back then?!

chipstick10 Sat 11-Jun-11 15:48:40

Lol FaffTastic. Im in the same boat. I always wear matching. I only found out last year that wearing black and brown together is a no no (not varnish you understand, but clothes). My toes are painted rasberry atm and so are my fingers. Personally i dont like nude varnish on me.

NieuweBuurvrouw Sat 11-Jun-11 15:58:26

I beg to differ - matching hands and feet is OTT, but it's way, way better than two different colours. That's a total no-no <boak at orange and nude>.

If OTT is your thing and it works with the outfit, go for it. Otherwise clear or bare fingernails and colour on toes . 'tis the gold standard. Whore's toes and a nun's hands as 5Dollar says.

chipstick10 Sat 11-Jun-11 16:51:48

blush i honestly had no idea of the politics of varnish. i have been walking about for the last few summers wearing matching toes and fingers, goodness knows what people have been thinking. confused

NieuweBuurvrouw Sat 11-Jun-11 16:53:47

Well, I'd have been thinking: 'Ooh, that's a wee bit OTT, I like it' grin

JosieRosie Sat 11-Jun-11 23:17:36

Matching toes and fingers probably looks quite 'statement'. If that's your thing, go for it! I don't think it sounds OTT at all. Would recommend that your fingernails are short if you're wearing a loud colour but hey, it's all about personal taste so go with what you prefer

gapants Sun 12-Jun-11 09:39:13

I did bright orange on the toes, and just buffed my fingernails. Think it looked good.

Bunbaker Sun 12-Jun-11 09:41:49

Years ago it was the done thing to match varnish on fingers and toes. When did this stop?

geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 12-Jun-11 09:43:49

<gazes at chipped bright pink finger and toenails>

CointreauVersial Sun 12-Jun-11 09:49:54

I have my toes painted all the time, but only paint my nails on "special occasions" (I'm so clumsy it gets chipped in no time). I would probably match my fingers to whatever was on my toes. But this thread has opened my eyes - I had no idea there were matchy-matchy rules.

But back in the day you had to match your handbag and shoes. And lets not mention double denim........oh, how times have changed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now