Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Allergic reaction on face - anything I can do to help it?

(6 Posts)
TracyK Fri 10-Jun-11 12:06:08

I got Mama Mio Clean Slate a couple of days ago. I used it at night and 1st thing in the morning - so 2 times in total.
Now my cheeks are very red and very flaky looking.
I either rubbed too hard, didn't dilute it with water (it did say not to - for a deeper cleanse) - or I'm allergic to it.
I did feel it quite 'zesty' feeling when I was doing it - so I think it might be quite potent!
Anyhoo - am laying off it for a while - but is there anything I can do to help my skin repair itself quickly.
I'm just using simple face wash - very gently and using my old Mir moisturiser (I used vaseline last night).
Do I just have to wait it out??

Pandsbear Fri 10-Jun-11 12:23:32

Use as little of anything as possible - water is best. If you have had an allergic reaction you can also go on to develop other reactions to lotions etc you are already using as your skin will have become over-sensitive (according to my Dr when I had an massive allergic reaction on my face last summer). Sounds like you are doing the right things. If it is really bad, an antihistamine like Piriton will help. You have my sympathy hope it clears up soon.

worldgonecrazy Fri 10-Jun-11 12:41:03

Calendula (African Marigold) may help but probably best to test a small area first. Aloe Vera is also good for helping the skin heal itself - again best to test a tiny patch first.

tangerinajolie Fri 10-Jun-11 13:06:58

2nd vote for taking anti histamines and also recommend gently massage some jojoba oil a few times a day to nourish, heal and repair the damage.

Can get at Holland and Barratt and is fantastic to have in your cupboard for any time your skin needs a boost.

Also, you can use the oil to gently cleanse at night too and remove with warm water then apply a little bit more to moisturise.

thomasbodley Fri 10-Jun-11 13:13:48

Anti-histamines, only water on your face, and a dab of Sudocrem on any bits that are flaky, crusty or weeping.

TracyK Sat 11-Jun-11 13:51:51

Thanks girls - its not red anymore - just left with dry flaky skin - you can't really see its dry - only when I run my fingers over it and also if I put makeup over it - it looks cakey iykwim.

I'll let it settle down and then try a wee tiny amount, very gently this time of the Mama Mio face wash again. I want to love it - as I love their moisturiser!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: