Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Pitrock - any experience?

(16 Posts)
Mendeleyev Fri 10-Jun-11 07:37:25

I was thinking of trying some Pitrock a mineral based "deodorant". It is supposed to kill the bacteria that cause BO. I'm sick of my nice tops being ruined by deoderant stains but don't want to lash out if it's rubbish. Any advice please? Thanks.

AlpinePony Fri 10-Jun-11 08:13:22

For me it wasn't strong enough for all day wear. sad Clearly I am a filthy sweaty-betty.

Mendeleyev Fri 10-Jun-11 09:13:48

So am I alpine pony. I use an aluminium chloride antiperspirant that I put on at night that has dealt with the sweating. I just need something to deal with the stink blush

MissFoodie Fri 10-Jun-11 11:22:11

salt based deodorants are deodorants, not antiperspirants, so you have to decide what is more important to you; they WILL stop the smell of sweat but they will not stop wetness;

the whole point is that antiperspirants (which stop wetness) are full of aluminium et al, which is what is toxic (the first thing oncologists tell breast cancer patients is to stop using them!)

I've used one for over a year, I bought a travel size one for £3 and it's still going, so def cheap; I tried the roll on/sprays and they were not as good. the key thing to remember is to apply to wet skin or wet the rock first, or it wont work!

definitely no stains since I started using it - but, as I said at the beginning, it's a "lifestyle" choice, shall we say! good luck!

Mendeleyev Fri 10-Jun-11 11:32:13

So you have actually got one of the solid rock type ones, MissFoodie? Can I ask what make it is and where you got it? I actually sweat very little now as I have used a strong anti-perspirant for years. I hardly ever have to apply it now but I am using q daily anti-perspirant/deoderant just for the smell value. I just want something to deal with the bacteria that cause the nasty niffs!

TattyDevine Fri 10-Jun-11 11:39:14

I'm a stink-o, who needs to use the good old Mitchum 48 hour roll on for just daily use, and I do the occasional application of Driclor in the heat of the summer if its tight t-shirt time of year.

I have been through various phases of trying out "natural" deodorants, and the only one that has ever worked was Lush's "Aromacreme". But it has apparently been discontinued. They have other deodorant cremes (they sell them in a block they cut some off for you, its weird, but so is most of Lush!) but none of the other ones really worked and the consistency was wrong. I would say the Aromacreme was very allergenic, in that I don't have sensitive skin and don't tend to react to things, I but occasionally would get a bit rashy from it so I'd imagine a lot of more delicate people could not use it at all, hence its discontinuation.

So that's not much help except to say I've tried the pit rock, the "Trust", the various tea tree and Eucalyptus ones, the Dermologica one...to no avail! So give me Aluminium baby! Not ideal but you've probably seen the "there really is no need to smell is there" type threads ion the Am I Being Unreasonable board and even vaguely whiffy people are up there with pedophiles and terrorists in terms of hatred and judgement so embrace the chemicals pet!

TattyDevine Fri 10-Jun-11 11:40:56

OP having just re-read your latest post, saying you've dealt with the sweat aspect, perhaps you should go into Lush and have a little play with their deodorant blocks and see which one you like the smell of most - if you are using an antiperspirant product then these will be enough to deal with neutralising the bacteria smell (they are essential oil based)

MissFoodie Fri 10-Jun-11 11:41:13

I got a travel one in As Nature Intended, they also sell it in Whole Foods, but am sure you can get it online? The one I got is Salt of The Earth travel size, about £3, but its the same as Pitrock.

http://www.vit-shop.co.uk/store/p/15332/1/Salt-of-the-Earth-Natural-Classic-Deodorant---90-grams.html

TracyK Fri 10-Jun-11 11:43:36

I found pitrock worked for me on my skin - but when you smell the stick of it - it was pongy of sweat!!

I got a nice smelling Jason one and am happy with that now.

CroissantNeuf Fri 10-Jun-11 11:46:36

DP uses the PitRock one (the solid rock one you wet before applying) and he loves it. I can also confirm that he doesn't smell even after cycling etc grin

I tried it but didn't get on with it. I prefer/need something that acts as an anti-antiperspirant too. I never thought about tackling them separately.

MissFoodie Fri 10-Jun-11 11:47:24

really? my rock doesnt smell of anything?!
I tried the other natural ones (Jason, Toms of Maine, Tiserand, Bionsen) and they didn't work for me - the salt rock rocks!

TracyK Fri 10-Jun-11 12:00:08

I even tried 'washing' the rock under water after I had rubbed it on myself and then putting it on the shelf upside down - but when I sniff it the following day - it smells of BO. Which is strange - cos I'm not that smelly normally!

CroissantNeuf Fri 10-Jun-11 12:17:53

I've just had a sniff of DP's rocks (oooer missus grin) and neither of them smell

(one is PitRock the other is Salt of the Earth)

TracyK Fri 10-Jun-11 12:50:02

I hope he enjoyed it Criossant!

Mendeleyev Fri 10-Jun-11 13:26:46

Thanks for all the advice. I'll look up the ones you've all recommended.

Mendeleyev Fri 10-Jun-11 13:31:44

Just ordered the salt of the earth one from Amazon. £3 Inc p&p.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: