Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Better to be over-dressed or under-dressed?

(21 Posts)
hmmSleep Fri 10-Jun-11 07:13:36

I'm going to a ball in a few weeks, nothing fancy just school parents at the local golf club. Whilst discussing dresses with some of the other women I get the feeling mine is rather more dressy than everyone elses.

I normally hate feeling over-dressed, it makes me rather self conscious and uncomfortable so I normally go the other way and dress down.

This time however I'm thinking sod it, I so rarely go out and am fed up of feeling like a frumpy mum. I'm going to dress to the nines and enjoy myself!

So was wondering would you rather be over, or under dressed for an occasion?

mumblechum1 Fri 10-Jun-11 07:15:27

To a ball I would normally go full monty.
Sorry, that doesn't sound right, I wouldn't go naked! Just the opposite. Last ball I went to I wore floor length strapless.

Cocktail or balldress I think is the usual thing.

whoneedssleepanyway Fri 10-Jun-11 07:16:24

I personally think I would rather be under-dressed as I think you wouldn't stand out as much and could blend in a bit more but that is just me...do you have a link to the dress....maybe you could dress it down a little if you didn't want to be over-dressed.

Have fun.

hmmSleep Fri 10-Jun-11 07:24:17

It's this dress. Actually doesn't look that dressy in the picture hmm. In rl the skirt is very full, lots of layers and the bodice corseted. was going to wear with either nude tights and nude heals, or black tights, black heals? I'm normally a jeans and cardi type so this is very dressy for me!

whoneedssleepanyway Fri 10-Jun-11 07:31:38

Nice dress, I would personally do no tights and nude heals i think.

CaveMum Fri 10-Jun-11 07:38:27

I'd always rather be overdressed than under dressed.

Is there no dress code on the invite? Strictly speaking a "Ball" requires men in dinner jackets and ladies in full length evening dresses. We're off to an RAF Ball tonight and I'm wearing a plum dress which is a floor length, strapless A-line with a sparkly White bolero. Military Balls are quite strict about ladies covering their shoulders at dinner.

KristinaM Fri 10-Jun-11 07:41:38

i agree, no tights and nude heels

mumblechum1 Fri 10-Jun-11 07:44:10

That's a lovely dress, OP.

As it's summer, I wouldn't wear black tights, but wo'n't your feet get sore if you have high heels and bare feet? I'd wear summer tights just so I didn't get blisters, assuming you'll be dancing.

hmmSleep Fri 10-Jun-11 07:46:31

No dress code, I don't think it really matters what you wear but should imagine most men will be in dinner jackets.

As for no tights - Noooooo! My legs are truly awful, very very pale cornbeafy, even with fake tan they look hideous, I don't do no tights, even if ridiculously hot.

hmmSleep Fri 10-Jun-11 07:47:09

Any ideas for what to wear over it if a bit chilly?

hmmSleep Fri 10-Jun-11 07:50:55

Thanks mumblechum, think I will go for summer tights and nude heals to make a little more fitting for this time of year.

Chandon Fri 10-Jun-11 07:53:47

wear that great dress!!!

worldgonecrazy Fri 10-Jun-11 07:58:03

Beautiful dress, I don't think you will be overdressed at all. hold your head high and enjoy being the most glamorous lady there.

wineandcheese Fri 10-Jun-11 08:19:01

You will look lovely - it's a fab dress.

toddlerama Fri 10-Jun-11 08:25:20

That dress is stunning. You wont be over dressed - it's not like you're teaming it with a feather boa and elbow length gloves. It's just right in my opinion.

lifeohlife Fri 10-Jun-11 08:41:37

The dress is lovely..but what are summer tights? Can someone explain? Is this their brand or generic name? and where can I buy some?

hmmSleep Fri 10-Jun-11 09:38:55

I think summer tights tend to use polyurethane as well as nylon to make them a bit cooler, and some have ventilated areas. Think they're quit readily available, this kind of thing from M&S.

Thanks all, feel more confident about wearing it now, I'll keep hair and make up simple so I'll feel more comfortable smile.

madammecholet Fri 10-Jun-11 10:09:32

Thats not overdressed for a ball, tis gorgeous.

Don't wear tights though as you'll be hot and imo it'll look wrong with the dress. Get a spray tan the day before or use a good fake tan yourself and wear with heels, black or nude... Honestly, I promise you, it'll be far far better.

<I would spray tan as its sleeveless too>

HarrogateMum Fri 10-Jun-11 14:42:53

its just right for the ball! (and ahem there is a dress code, its black tie!)

PS make sure you bring plenty of cash, we have some FAAAAB prizes!

sorry for shameless hijack, just realised its the ball I'm organising she is talking about!

hmmSleep Fri 10-Jun-11 17:56:41

Thanks HarrogateMum! If I turn up and you're not dressed in something very fancy indeed there will be trouble wink.

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 10-Jun-11 19:02:17

Gorgeous dress! You will look fab - have a wonderful time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: