Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

My hair is dreadful - dry, dull, like straw, really

(39 Posts)
MisSalLaneous Wed 08-Jun-11 22:33:42

... despite having spent a decent amount having organic colour at a good salon lately, using proper salon shampoo and conditioner, etc.

I also use VO5 Hot Oil once a week, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Oh, and I use a drop or two of Kerastase oil

Is there any miracle product out there that you might recommend? I'm desperate.

Thanks!

YummyHoney Wed 08-Jun-11 22:36:22

Olive oil ?

ItsTime Wed 08-Jun-11 22:44:05

I know this sounds a bit random but have you had your thyroid tested? My hair was terrible due to that, sorry if its just colour related but thought I'd mention just in case!

MisSalLaneous Wed 08-Jun-11 22:48:44

YummyHoney - how would I apply that? Just heated and then left on hair? If so, how long, and does it wash clean easily? Sorry if stupid question!

ItsTime - I haven't, no. I'm not sure if it could be related, but my hair was beautiful when I was pregnant, and a week after I had ds (3 years ago), it went back to being slightly dry again. Hmm. How did you have it tested? Did you have to get gp to refer, and if so, how easy was it to convince him / her?

YummyHoney Wed 08-Jun-11 22:53:27

I wouldn't bother to heat it. I would comb it through after shampooing and leave it in - don't rinse. I wouldn't worry about being able to wash it out easily. It's shampoo that does damage - olive oil certainly won't do any damage.

CharlieCoCo Wed 08-Jun-11 23:03:39

wouldnt your hair then be really oily and horrible looking if u dont wash it out?

ItsTime Wed 08-Jun-11 23:08:22

I had exactly the same thing, right after pregnancy. It could just be normal hormone stuff but apparently for me it was post partum hypothyroidism which isn't unusual apparently. Its just a blood test and shouldn't be too hard to convince the Dr as it's very common.

I'm sure it's probably not but worth checking. Some of the symptoms are pretty similar to new motherhood though, tiredness etc. Feeling cold, heavy periods and dry skin / hair are others. The hair was the most obvious with me though, like straw!

justilou Wed 08-Jun-11 23:10:31

Don't use products containing silicone. They coat the outside of the hair, and it dries out inside. You end up looking greasy and feeling like straw. Thyroid really DOES affect hair quality, as does your diet. Maybe take a good vitamin & mineral supplement. If your hair is damaged from dye, it will need more than oil. It will need a protein treatment and a hydrating one. Use the treatments between shampooing and conditioning and alternate. You should use them twice a week each until you've made some difference and then drop down to once a week and do it religiously!

vintageteacups Wed 08-Jun-11 23:10:40

My hair has never been the same since I had DS.
The colour is nonny and it gets greasy more quickly.

Have you used coconut oil? I've just ordered some frmo H & B and it's pure, cold pressed oil. You can eat it or moisturise with it or use it on your hair as conditioner. hmmmmmm

MisSalLaneous Wed 08-Jun-11 23:18:51

Oh wow, thank you so much for the great and quick replies!

Hmm, sounds like it might be thyroid related then. I'll get it tested - can't do any harm anyway, can it?

justilou, I've heard re the silicone too, but I was hoping that spending so much on the salon shampoo and conditioner, both which are silicone free and organic, might make a difference. It's been more than a month now, so I suspect if it were to help, it would have by now.

I'll try and get some protein treatment stuff tomorrow.

Vintage, no, have never used coconut oil. I don't mind trying, so will see if I can order some.

As you can probably see, I'm ready to try anything!

Oh yes, and just to come back to the olive oil question - like CharlieCoCo said: Won't it be oily if you don't wash it off?? Or am I misunderstanding?

YummyHoney Thu 09-Jun-11 10:31:47

No,it won't be oily. Shampoo your hair - make sure you rinse out all the shampoo really well. Squeeze excess water out with towel, comb olive oil through and leave it. When it dries it won't look oily - nor will it look like straw.

If you try it, come back and tell us what you think smile

threadsoffeeling Thu 09-Jun-11 10:35:01

i dont know if its a miracle or not, but i noticed a massive difference in my own hair, so can thoroughly reccomend this stuff.
Ambla hair oil. www.dabur.com/Products-Personal%20Care-Amla%20Hair%20Oil the bottle i had was actually a month or so out of date, but i was desperate. My sister massaged it into my hair and scalp. really worked it in. was alovely massage as wella ctually. smile i slept with it in overnight, and then washed it out the next day. shampoo on dry hair first, wash out, then another shampoo. since then, its lost its straw like feel. I have always been religious with my use of conditioner, but this is what actually made a difference

noddyholder Thu 09-Jun-11 10:39:02

Kerastase the orange one is great. Expensive but I don't use it all the time just when my hair looks dull

MisSalLaneous Thu 09-Jun-11 19:06:19

Thanks for that, YummyHoney. I'll try it out one day (when I don't have to see anyone the next morning, just in case!) If I remember tomorrow night, I'll give it a try and report back.

Well, after trip to shopping centre, I came back with better heat protector - I usually use that Aussie Hair stuff, but talked to lady in salon, who persuaded me to try this Kerastase one instead. No hard sell at all, e.g. she said instead of buying a new oil (I was searching for the Amla oil thing, but then saw they had Moroccan oil), I should use that other Kerastase oil I have already as an intense treatment once a week. Once I've used that up, I'll look at options.

For what it's worth, she seemed really keen on the Moroccan oil as treatment, so will look at that too next time.

MisSalLaneous Thu 09-Jun-11 19:06:58

Again thanks for all the answers.

misslinneaflower Thu 09-Jun-11 20:28:36

My GHD is my saviour! It gives volume AND makes my hair so shiny! smile

MisSalLaneous Thu 09-Jun-11 20:41:29

I love my GHD too - would prefer never to live without it, really, but I think that maybe, as my hair was dry anyway, not using enough / good enough heat protector might have made things worse. Obvious when you think about it, but I didn't think of improving that part too.

ohnelly Thu 09-Jun-11 20:58:33

Frizz ease - secret agent
Can be used on dry hair and just smoothes frizz, particularly good when tying hair back. I wouldn't leave the house without using it!

LynetteScavo Thu 09-Jun-11 21:02:59

How about useiing only Keratase products (they are fab - I use the heat protector before using GHD's), and having a treatment at the hairdresser?

Also, what about your diet? Hair grows out of you, so you need to make sure everything is tip top inside.

How long is your hair? Would a good chop help?

MisSalLaneous Thu 09-Jun-11 21:57:20

Yes, I'm considering it, LynetteScavo. I've asked for shampoo & conditioner samples, so will give that a try.

It's very likely all my own fault, actually, since my diet is rubbish. I drink at least 5 coffees a day, eat one healthy meal a day, and just snack or drink more coffee the rest. blush I have to drink meds in the mornings and evenings anyway, so will start taking a vitamin tablet in the morning.

My hair just over shoulder length. I have it trimmed relatively regularly, and had a cut about 3 weeks ago, so having one again probably won't help longer term. It is good fro split ends though, and I've decided if my ends split too quickly again I might do a once-off long bob until I can sort out the condition.

In-salon treatment: Probably stupid question, but was it a lot better than what you could do at home?

LynetteScavo Thu 09-Jun-11 22:09:05

I'm always offered a treatment at the salon, but you can buy exactly the same thing to use at home. I've never used it at home...and to be honest don't rather the treatment that much. But there is a masque which is fabulous. I bought it by mistake thinking it was a conditioner, and used it every other day. It wasn't cheep (about £20) but it was gorgeous.

I've just tried to economise and gone back to Bed Head shampoo and conditioner and they are no where near as good as Keratase.

MisSalLaneous Thu 09-Jun-11 22:15:16

Thanks Lynette. I'll get some then, even if it's just for these next couple of months.

7to25 Thu 09-Jun-11 22:25:48

Give the straighteners and the hairdryer a rest for a couple of weeks and I'm sure the condition will improve.

MisSalLaneous Thu 09-Jun-11 22:31:08

I know I should, really, but my hair too big otherwise. I have to leave it to make loose waves when not blowdrying, because as soon as I brush it, it goes fizzy, giving me a heart attack every time I catch my reflection in the glass walls at work! I could cut down though - I'm only working three days a week now, so could go natural the rest of the time.

Man, after following all these tips I'm going to look fabulous. grin

<<delusional and happy>>

Frenchchic Fri 10-Jun-11 22:03:56

I tried Moroccan Oil, Argan Oil and unrefined coconut oil. Have to say that none of them have really helped. Have ordered some jojoba oil and will try that next. Fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: