Talk

Advanced search

Any shampoo/treatment tips for itchy, flakey scalp?

(21 Posts)
whatcakeydid Wed 08-Jun-11 19:43:04

Hi
For the first time in my life I've developed dandruff, particularly on the crown of my head. It's also quite itchy. I only wash my hair once or twice a week (it's curly and is best with a bit of grease) but I wonder if it's getting too greasy and causing the dandruff?
Does anyone have any tips?
Anyone found any products particularly useful?

PotPourri Wed 08-Jun-11 19:43:50

Try T Gel

lololizzy Wed 08-Jun-11 20:03:26

Hair Doctor by Lush is my newest discovery and i wish i'd discovered it years ago. It works! however, i think it's dermatitis and not dandruff that i've got...

BettyBleu Wed 08-Jun-11 20:15:57

this expensive but works for me

lololizzy Wed 08-Jun-11 20:21:51

also diluted Grapefruit Seed Extract (from health food shops)rubbed in and left over night. Not to be confused with Grapeseed oil, which will just make you greasy!

whatcakeydid Wed 08-Jun-11 20:29:58

Thanks guys!

midnightexpress Wed 08-Jun-11 20:33:50

I use Eucerin shampoo, which is expensive but it does work. I'm allergic to cocomidopropyl betaine, an ingredient which is in almost every shampoo/shower gel/handwash on the market - it's apparently quite a common allergy, and stopping using anything with it in, whilst a right PITA, does seem to have made a difference.

LolaLadybird Wed 08-Jun-11 22:00:15

Another vote for T-Gel - not expensive, can pick it up anywhere (including supermarket). Doesn't smell particularly nice but I find if I just use periodically - say once a week then it keeps the itchiness at bay and I can use a normal shampoo the rest of the time.

lollipoppet Thu 09-Jun-11 11:13:41

I would actually try vosene (dont know if that's correct spelling..) it's cheap and it works a treat! Smells a bit funny but once you've dried it smells fine! It's been going for thousands if years too so obvious they're doing something right!

covkimbo Thu 09-Jun-11 11:30:14

Message deleted

KarenHL Thu 09-Jun-11 11:34:15

It's worth checking to see if you have psoriasis. DH thought he had awful dandruff for years. Met me, dragged him off to med bod and found he has psoriasis.

He finds most shampoos make it worse, as well as anything coal tar based (unusual, as that's usually meant to help). He finds Oilatum shampoo the best thing. Plus reducing his intake of dairy/red meat/citrus/wine/beer helps.

snail1973 Thu 09-Jun-11 12:13:25

Philip Kingsley shampoo for itchy flaky scalps has been my saviour. Bit £££ but honestly the only thing that worked and now never use anything else

PuppyMonkey Thu 09-Jun-11 12:17:41

I had this here recommended by a hairdresser. A leave in lotion, you put it on after you've washedyou hair in a normal shampoo of your choice. I thought at first it didn't work, but kept using it for a few weeks. It does work. Fancy that.

Normal dandruff shampoos strip your scalp off apparently. Not v.good for you.

LolaLadybird Thu 09-Jun-11 18:20:42

I also have an Aloe shampoo (mine is the Forever Living one) - I use it in between using the T-Gel and between both products, it keep my hair in really nice condition.

For those of you who use the Philip Kingsley one - what does it smell like? Might be tempted to splurge if it smells nicer than the T-Gel.

snail1973 Thu 09-Jun-11 18:32:33

I wouldn't say it smells of anything much. Certainly isn't creosote-like

BettyBleu Thu 09-Jun-11 20:02:15

The Philip Kinglsey one just smells like a very mild shampoo smell, its nice and as snail says it definitely doesn't smell like creosote / coal tar or carbolic soap. I've tried others and always end up going back to this one.

gettingolderbytheday Thu 09-Jun-11 20:04:50

I like Aveda Scalp Balencing Treatment shampoo and conditioner

TattyDevine Thu 09-Jun-11 21:17:44

Espa do a Pink Mud masque which is amazing for hair AND scalps.

LolaLadybird Thu 09-Jun-11 21:43:12

Have ordered the Philip Kingsley shampoo - not the first time that joining someone else's thread in Style and Beauty has resulted in me parting with money!! Looking forward to ditching the T-Gel.

WhatsWrongWithYou Thu 09-Jun-11 21:58:42

It might not be dandruff. I sometimes get this when I use gels or mousses, or a shampoo that doesn't agree. Dandruff is a different condition all together, one which can respond to things like t-gel.
Best to try and find something mild and non-irritating to begin with, maybe avoid 'products.'
I find Dead Sea shampoo plus the Dead Sea Mud conditioner/scalp treatment clear mine up - takes a few washes, but it then keeps it clear (fingers crossed). Might be worth trying before the £££ ones.

MrsMc82 Thu 09-Jun-11 22:52:26

I find good old head and shoulders has done wonders for my scalp, used to always be flaky and started using hubby's H&S by mistake (had run out of my posh shampoo ;) ) and have been using its since as helped so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now