Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Thailand

(14 Posts)
celticlassie Wed 08-Jun-11 19:28:38

Not sure if this is the right place to post but I'm just looking for advice, which is generally clothing related. I'm going to Bangkok for a few days and have been getting quite conflicting info re clothes - some people say to cover up most of the time but others say that other than in a couple of temples, anything goes. Anyone been and able to help out?
Ta in advance.

moragbellingham Wed 08-Jun-11 19:33:59

We had a stopover in Bangkok for a few days and I stayed covered up. Long loose trousers and thin cotton shirts.
I think it was a little OTT and t shirts would've been OK but I definitely would've felt uncomfortable wearing vest tops and shorts. Down the tourist roads maybe different but shopping malls, restaurants, temples and general sightseeing all the locals are modestly attired.

RedwingWinter Wed 08-Jun-11 19:57:13

Lots of tourists just wear what they like and cover up for the temples (which usually have sarongs available outside if you need them - closed toe shoes are considered more polite as well). Some of the posher restaurants will have a dress code too (such as no flip flops or torn jeans at the restaurant/bar on top of the Banyan Tree; trousers and closed toe shoes for the men).

But Thais themselves are very modest in their clothing, and the main thing is that they like women to have their shoulders covered. So you might feel more comfortable (and get more respect from people) if you keep your shoulders covered - not that you would probably notice if a thai person disapproved as they are such lovely smiley people. And it is a city, so beach wear isn't really appropriate. The Thais have a phrase for the poorly dressed backpackers - 'farang kii-nok' - birdshit foreigners.

If you are prone to mosquitoe bites you might prefer to be covered up at dusk and during the evening anyway, as they have dengue fever there.

[I know it's not s&b, but I recommend a drink at the open-air rooftop bar at the Banyan Tree while you are there. It's especially nice to see the sunset from there].

celticlassie Wed 08-Jun-11 20:36:33

Thanks, that's very much the advice I was looking for - I've seen so many pictures of scantily clad tourists but don't want to dress in a way the locals feel is inappropriate.

plainwhitet Wed 08-Jun-11 20:48:55

and definitely no really short shorts or mini skirts in the cities either, v immodest and inappropriate.
also it is v hot so if you have the choice, cotton underwear is much cooler.
I would not worry about closed toe shoes but be prepared to slip shoes on and off frequently so lace ups/buckle ups are a nuisance.

EggyAllenPoe Wed 08-Jun-11 21:02:41

.or buy your clothing there. plenty of shopping to be done in Bangkok

celticlassie Thu 09-Jun-11 20:47:52

Just (maybe) been inspired - how about a denim shirt - can be thrown over anything to cover shoulders and still not look like a travelling type. Shouldn't be too warm either... Thoughts? smile

Jenstar21 Thu 09-Jun-11 21:21:35

I've spent tons of time in Thailand, and usually go the smart t-shirt/short-sleeve shirt and cropped or linen trousers (I know...) or a skirt. If you go to the Royal Palace complex, you must have shoulders and knees covered. It is stinking hot and humid, though, so I'd say to wear cool, light things. Some posher places do aso have a no sandals/flip flops rule too. I always carry a pashmina or the like to cover shoulders/arms/head where neccessary. HTH. Have a fab time!

celticlassie Thu 09-Jun-11 21:37:44

I know shoulders generally have to be covered but are cap (style) sleeves ok? Something like this?

I know I'm probably over-thinking this...

Jenstar21 Thu 09-Jun-11 21:44:33

I'd reckon you'd be fine with that style of top. Really - there are some people dressed way more skimpily than I'd even ever be on a beach! Just make sure you have a light cardi/wrap with you which you can chuck on when need be. Have a great time!

otchayaniye Fri 10-Jun-11 07:49:50

I used to live there. Anything is fine. Hot and humid so lycra clingy clothes will be uncomfortable, same with tight jeans. Also dresses if you're larger can mean legs rubbing together.

Just take a shawl to a temple, but most tourists don't bother.

You're not going to the south of Thailand by Malaysia, are you? I wouldn't.

TragicallyHip Fri 10-Jun-11 15:47:28

I walked around in vest tops and shorts, only covered up for Temples etc.

The shopping in the big mall there is fab! I bought 'Diesel' jeans for £10 each!

Oh how I miss Thailand..

RedwingWinter Fri 10-Jun-11 17:19:09

Celticlassie, cap sleeves are absolutely fine and count as covering up your shoulders. I hope you have a great time.

hifi Fri 10-Jun-11 18:18:03

only cover in temples,some are very specific and you have to hire the appropriate items.
anything goes really,the clothing is very small,if you are over a size 14 i doubt any will fit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: