Talk

Advanced search

To Ugg or not to Ugg? (comfy winter footwear post birth)

(15 Posts)
LDNmummy Wed 08-Jun-11 18:50:43

Hi there! Just want opinions on winter footwear from some experienced shoppers smile

I am giving birth in October and am looking for a pair of very comfy winter boots or shoes I could wear through the bad weather.

I own some trainers but would love something that goes with everything and don't think trainers would be good for everyday comfort. I was in Office the other day and tried on a pair of classic mid calf Ugg boots in black. They were very comfy but I have never been that big a fan, especially after seeing Joey Essex wearing them on the telly shock They are so comfy but expensive and a bit moon boot looking (though I could overlook all this if they are really worth it comfort wise).

I do also love Dr Martens and was thinking about buying these: www.cloggs.co.uk/invt/5862/

I absolutely cannot stand winter cold and need a good pair of everyday boots or shoes to wear through wind, rain and snow. Any recommendations or opinions would be great!

KnitterInTheNW Wed 08-Jun-11 18:55:35

Instead of those docs which will take forever and a day to lace up and take off, get these instead. Super comfy and go with anything.

reikizen Wed 08-Jun-11 18:58:51

there is never an excuse for Uggs imo. There is always an alternative!

BulletWithAName Wed 08-Jun-11 18:59:07

Why don't you get yourself some biker boots? I have these. They were fantastic last winter with all the snow and they look nice too.

dexter73 Wed 08-Jun-11 19:02:17

I don't think Uggs stand up well to wet weather. My dd wore hers in the snow and they ended up badly marked with white lines on them, then took ages to dry. Better to get some leather boots, like Bullet said.

LDNmummy Wed 08-Jun-11 19:12:48

Knitter they have a zip on the side, I was worried about that too. I love the classic Dr Marten style, I have a pair of shorter ones already but my feet have gotten too big for them sad

Bullet the Biker boots sound like a good idea, not too far off from my usual style, hadn't considered it before.

That was one of my worries dexter, but I assumed being winter boots they were built for wet weather too. Design flaw?

Thanks for help guys smile

ChippyMinton Wed 08-Jun-11 19:13:33

ugg bellvue - the warmth of an ugg without the fuglyness. I live in mine.

ChippyMinton Wed 08-Jun-11 19:15:51

Is this your first DC? Be warned that your feet may get slightly bigger!

WillPenn Wed 08-Jun-11 21:17:14

Yes, don't buy the classic Uggs - get one of their slightly more robust styles like these They are extremely comfortable, way warmer than normal boots and don't skid on snow and ice. I gave in to Uggs last winter and couldn't bring myself to take them off until March...

louby78 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:42:45

I love my Uggs (despite slating them for years) and are perfect for cosy comfort after having a baby but these didn't cut it in the snow this year. Merrell do some fab snowboots which were perfect in the the rain and snow but then you can get some uggs which do withstand wet weather.

heleninahandcart Thu 09-Jun-11 00:25:21

Try fitflop boots, they are THE most comfortable boots ever, several styles from ankle to full length all with a special sole which saw me through all last winter

startail Thu 09-Jun-11 00:35:11

DD2 is 10, she is hyper cute and hipper than most teenagers and even she looks daft in her ugg style boots. DON'T DO IT!

herecomesthsun Thu 09-Jun-11 02:35:58

I got some boots from Groundhog off Amazon, they are great, sheepskin lined but thick crepe soles and leather round the foot, they were fab in snow.

I also have some fab Doc Marten biker boots with a chunky heel.

I would get a bargain in the summer sales.

LDNmummy Thu 09-Jun-11 09:44:56

I posted a response last night, don't know where it went confused

Thanks for the suggestions smile I don't think I will go for the Uggs now although I will look into the strudier one's you suggested Chippy, will try them on in the shop and see first.

Anyone tried Rocket Dog?? Similar to Uggs but less moon bootish and look much sturdier, also only 50 quid!

Might go for those and love the biker boots idea Bullet, would be more in keeping with my style but had not considered them before.

dottyaboutstripes Thu 09-Jun-11 10:01:31

I have these Uggs. I don't know what possessed me to buy them as I'd always thought Uggs were so incredibly ugly - but OMG I love them so much! SOOO warm and so comfy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now