Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I need a dress for a summer wedding party and I don't know where to start!

(16 Posts)
KvetaBarry Wed 08-Jun-11 09:50:45

I am on the rotund side of things, size 18, 5' 7'', and live in jeans and a t-shirt. I am going to a wedding party in 3 weeks, and although the dress code is informal, don't want to turn up looking like I've just left the lab.

So, could anyone help me?

I have the vague idea that I'd like a nice dress, but as my legs are beyond enormous, don't want to be showing them off too much. I also have a pot belly, but can wear some superpants to keep it hidden-ish for a few hours. Also enormous boobs (38FF), and still wearing nursing bras (and still breast feeding, not just being strange).

I don't like wearing heels, as I'm not much shorter than DH, and I tend to totter (have the natural grace of a drunken hippo). I have some black ballet flats that I can wear, but am happy to have further suggestions.

(One last bit of information - I'm quite broke, but could possibly spend up to £50 on a dress or outfit - however, have just won some love2shop vouchers, so can afford to spend more at the following shops (which I am perusing and getting flustered by at the moment!):

Barratts
Bhs
Blue Inc
Bonmarche
Brantano
Debehnams
d2 men & women
Ethel Austin
Faith (Concessions at Debenhams)
House of Fraser
Matalan
New Look
Petroleum
Principles (Concessions at Debenhams)
River Island
Select
Stead & Simpson
Warehouse)

thanks in advance! smile

JackieNo Wed 08-Jun-11 09:54:40

Will you need breastfeeding access, so to speak, during the wedding? Separates probably easier if so.

If not, I'd definitely say the best selection will be at Debenhams. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and the Betty Jackson Black range is absolutely lovely, and some fab stuff there (and I'm a size 22).

KvetaBarry Wed 08-Jun-11 09:56:33

won't need access, DS is 20 months - I just can't really afford new bras at the moment blush and he does sometimes want a feed during the day, so it makes my life easier to keep them!

will have a look at the betty jackson range, thanks smile

JackieNo Wed 08-Jun-11 12:47:25

I like this a lot - and the black ribbon means you could wear it with your black shoes. Though heels would be nice too - even if it's just a bit of a wedge?

How about something like this - good shape, though a bit higher in the neckline than maybe ideal. Pattern to disguise any lumps and bumps.

KvetaBarry Wed 08-Jun-11 12:57:06

I do like that first one, have been eyeballing it a bit. do you think it could be worn with these shoes?

or something more like this, maybe?

thank you for the suggestions - I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to clothes, so any assistance is more than welcome!

JackieNo Wed 08-Jun-11 12:59:29

This is summery too (in the blue or the purple)
I tried this one from Monsoon on too, and it was really flattering. A bit over budget, but it'd last into autumn/winter too.

JackieNo Wed 08-Jun-11 13:00:44

On the shoes - have to say I'm not keen on the first pair, but the second's lovely!

JackieNo Wed 08-Jun-11 13:04:34

New Look are also pretty good for shoes - how about this sort of thing?
or possibly these, as long as your legs look OK with ankle straps (mine don't, sadly).
Ooh, bargain, is that the right size?

KvetaBarry Wed 08-Jun-11 13:12:12

I have size 8-9 feet sadly sad and horrendous toenails, but could possibly get some nice nail polish and hope it hides the state of my toes!!

I do like that monsoon dress, will have a shufty in town over the weekend and see if they have it there.

will have to go to debenhams next weekend too, oh yay sad I really hate shopping for clothes...

you have been so so helpful though, my mum's contribution to any requests for help with shopping is 'you're too fat to wear a dress/skirt/jeans/insert item of clothing here really' and 'your feet are too big for nice shoes', so it's good to get ideas from less biased/rude people grin the last time she went shopping with me, she kept appearing with things in size 28 or bigger and saying 'hmm, not sure this would quite cover you actually' hmm

JackieNo Wed 08-Jun-11 13:29:34

Grr at your mum - that's not helpful, is it! Do you have a friend you can take with you when you go shopping - one who isn't quite as close to you as your mum, but who would be happy to tell you honestly if something doesn't work? Hope you find something you love.

netbook Wed 08-Jun-11 13:31:59

Just a thought but if you're going to Debenhams, it might be worth trying a personal shopper. They will put you in things you wouldn't normally pick for yourself that actually might really suit your shape/colouring.

Daenerys Wed 08-Jun-11 13:32:25

how would you feel about a maxi dress? I have a similar shape to you and i found them very flattering

you could wear this with a pair of flat sandals and a simple shrug for example

Daenerys Wed 08-Jun-11 13:35:30

that's so untrue about your shoe size! i have the same shoe size and i don't like my toenails but in the sumer i use bright nail polish and they look fine!

and i have loads of nice shoes.

too many actually..

KvetaBarry Wed 08-Jun-11 13:43:59

Daenerys - that dress also has potential, thanks. and as we have a new look in town, that would make life easier grin

no friends who would have time to help me shop sadly, we all have young children and as I work 5 days a week, the only days I have free are sat and sun, which is when friends want to spend time with their families - fair enough!

I will have to have an amble around town once DS is napping in the buggy on saturday grin

JackieNo Wed 08-Jun-11 13:46:55

You're much taller than me, so yes, a maxi dress could be good. And the personal shoppers are great - you just sit around in a big luxurious changing room, and they bring you stuff - could be ideal if you need to bring DS with you. They do usually need to be booked in advance, but they're usually free, and no obligation to buy anything.

KvetaBarry Sat 11-Jun-11 19:51:53

well, went to New Look today and tried a couple of maxi dresses - not a good look at all! just made me look 6 months pg. So ended up with a floral sun dress this one, just above knee length, black leggings, and a cropped short sleeve black cardi, with some nice ballet flats to conceal my hideous toes. DH thinks I look odd, but I don't care any more, I actually asked the shop assistants in NL what they thought, and none said 'really?!', so it'll do.

thanks for your help though, made me feel much more confident about actually shopping and trying on clothes!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: