Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Animal Prints - yay or nay?

(20 Posts)
MrsLevinson Tue 07-Jun-11 13:41:49

What's the verdict on animal prints? Seen a nice skirt with a muted animal print design but if they're on their way out I don't want to look sad in a couple of months. What do you think?

StyleandBooty Tue 07-Jun-11 14:36:19

<waits for Mrs C_B>

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 07-Jun-11 14:40:26

Big fat YAY from me, they never really go totally out of fashion do they...

TattyDevine Tue 07-Jun-11 15:39:49

I think they are acceptable as accents (skinny belt, shoes (preferably flat), small clutch, muted version scarf, etc - you are on dangerous Kat Slaterish type territory when they are a coat (though there are some exceptions) or a skirt, etc.

TattyDevine Tue 07-Jun-11 15:40:09

You just might have to give us a link so we can see! grin

Pinkjenny Tue 07-Jun-11 15:41:12

I am unashamed in my devotion to aminal prints. I do, however, exercise extreme caution.

MrsLevinson Tue 07-Jun-11 15:51:48

It's the one in the middle.
It's not normally my thing but I'm trying to stop wearing the same old tunics and jeans, and this is half price at the mo.

TattyDevine Tue 07-Jun-11 18:34:05

As animal prints go, its not an in-your-face version, I don't think you will end up looking like Pat Butcher et al.

Have you any other skirts that length - what do they look like on? I would not be able to wear a skirt of that length and style without looking frumpy.

BulletWithAName Tue 07-Jun-11 18:41:23

I love love LOVE leopard print. It's all about how you dress it. If you dress like Kat Slater anyway, then of course it's going to look chavvy. However, if you dress with a bit of a rocky edge to your look, then it looks fab.

I fall into the latter category of course! grin I adore my leopard print mac, fingerless gloves, platforms, flats, bag, bodycon dress, t shirt dresses, underwear, nightwear...not worn at the same time of course!

BulletWithAName Tue 07-Jun-11 18:41:59

Too many of courses in that post methinks hmm

MrsLevinson Tue 07-Jun-11 18:42:13

It's actually a good length on me as I'm not as tall as the model so my stocky calves aren't on display. smile
Thank you. smile

TheSecondComing Tue 07-Jun-11 18:48:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 07-Jun-11 18:49:40

Oh yeay grin

I wore leopard print shoes with white jeans the other day - I mean how eurotrash am I wink

madammecholet Tue 07-Jun-11 18:54:17

Yeah to animal, Nay to that skirt as its 100% polyester. Sorry.

stelli Tue 07-Jun-11 20:02:10

nay, i do not find it interesting..

katy1katy Tue 07-Jun-11 20:09:56

Message deleted

TattyDevine Tue 07-Jun-11 20:43:26

Okay now everyone has said it, if I'm honest I don't particularly like that skirt, and can't imagine it looking good. That said, I'd have to see it on you before I really could say that for absolute certain.

Its less about the animal print and more about the overall shape, length and style of the skirt.

If you really like it, I think you should buy it anyway - at least you know nobody else will have it its a bit different.

TheSecondComing Tue 07-Jun-11 20:57:02

MrsLevinson Tue 07-Jun-11 21:24:49

Ok thanks, the skirt is going back. I wasn't sure about it in the first place and Heidi Klum I ain't. There was probably a reason it was half price. smile

TheSecondComing Tue 07-Jun-11 21:47:16

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: