Talk

Advanced search

leg waxing...

(10 Posts)
bumpybecky Tue 07-Jun-11 11:51:01

I had my legs waved for the first time 11 days ago. Now I was expecting them to be smooth and totally hair free afterwards. Was I being overly optimistic?

I realised when I got home that the waxer? technician? had missed a line / patch of hairs on each leg (no major issue to shave those bits) but the bigger issue is that there is still shorter stubbly like hairs all over my legs hmm now these hairs are softer than normal shaving stubble, and TBH you can only see them if you look closely, but I thought the whole point of waxing was you were hair free afterwards!

Is it just because it was the first time and the hair was stronger? or was it a poor job?

thanks smile

BelieveInLife Tue 07-Jun-11 12:51:14

It does take a while of regular waxing before you'll be able to go 4-8 weeks between waxes. The wax can only grip hair of a certain length so you need it all to catch up if you see what I mean? It's quite dificult to explain. The missed bit is a poor job, but how long the results are lasting on a first wax is not the technician's fault. You need to stick with it.

ZumbaRumba Tue 07-Jun-11 12:57:23

I don't get leg waxing. You have to let your legs get all hairy before you can have them waxed. How is that practical in the summer? Explain please wise MN-ers!

bumpybecky Tue 07-Jun-11 13:03:54

it was very long when I went (hadn't shaved for several months!) so it should have all been long enough to grip

I don't think it was totally smooth and hair free for more than a couple of days at most sad

Zumba I'd not worn shorts this summer before I went but it wasn't warm and sunny then. Not sure how this is going to work in the proper summer sad

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 07-Jun-11 13:24:01

i have been having my legs waxed for about 10 years I reckon now...

now i can let my legs get to the stage of needing waxing again (i.e. all hairs long enough) and i can still go bare legged as they aren't that noticeable...they are very fine.

it doesn't sound like it was a great job bumpybecky, TBH if I found a strip of hairs that had been missed on both legs i would go back the next day.

Zumba - in the summer I get them waxed professionaly right at the start and then normally do a DIY job during July/ Aug as then I can do it earlier than I would perhaps if I was going to a salon.

It def beats all the shaving nicks I used to get...bare legs with little bits of loo roll stuck to them is not a good look.

bumpybecky Tue 07-Jun-11 13:30:25

whoneeds I would have gone back, but we went off on holiday that weekend as there wasn't time. I don't think I'll go back there, will try somewhere else next time. Unless home waxing is worth a go? any recommendations?

MooMinCow Tue 07-Jun-11 13:43:54

Hair grows at different rates and cycles so even though they were long, the shorter ones may have been just below the surface when you had them waxed iyswim? Patches unacceptable, I would have gone back. Failing that, invest in an epilator as I find them good for in between waxes or getting short hairs wax has missed?

Spoilyourselfbeauty Tue 07-Jun-11 19:15:51

As a beauty therapist I think also you should have gone back, there are always tiny hairs that get left but I go over with tweezers and get the ones I can see! The more you have it the softer the hairs become, and you'll stop noticing the tiny ones, don't let her/him (lol) put you off though!!

BelieveInLife Tue 07-Jun-11 19:27:31

MooMin that's explained better than my attempt!

Bumpy in that case it may well be a bad job then, if you left them to grow that long it should have last 2 weeks minimum I'd say. It was probably her technique and she just broke the hairs off rather than pulled them out by the root. I would try someone else.

I wouldn't recommend home waxing as you'll probably end up doing the same. Stick with salon waxes for a while and watch the technique (of a good therapist) so that you can then do it at home.

bumpybecky Tue 07-Jun-11 20:27:26

thanks, that makes sense about the newer hairs not getting removed first time round smile

I would have gone back and complained about the missed bits, but we were off on holiday and there really wasn't time. I'll try another salon next time. DH will be disappointed - he was looking forward to torturing me with a diy kit shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now