Talk

Advanced search

Advice on jewellery damage (eternity ring) - any jewellers out there....

(7 Posts)
whoneedssleepanyway Mon 06-Jun-11 11:40:07

I posted a thread a while back about damage to my eternity ring that was less than 2 years old

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1215713-should-they-repair-my-eternity-ring-for-free

A stone had fallen out (which luckily I had, found it in the DDs toy cupboard after scouring the whole of the downstairs).

Anyway the jeweller has quoted that it will be £275 to repair this (bear in mind this does not include any cost of a stone as I have that) as they need to replace all 36 claw tips (it is a 9 stone ring)...

I am shock about this, surely within 2 years it is not normal wear and tear to have all 36 claws go....

I have rung head office who are looking into this but am feeling sad as I am not going to want to wear the ring in the future if it is this easy to damage it...

Does anyone have any advice, or what I should say to head office when they call me back?

Iloveshoes001 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:16:05

That's outrageous! There is no way, unless you've been doing something VERY odd in it that the whole thing would need to be reset like that. They're taking the piss. Really they should repair it for free (or a token cost). If they won't I'd take it to a jeweller in Hatton garden in London or the Birmingham jewellery quarter and get a quote.

bethelbeth Sun 10-Jul-11 21:23:19

hello I'm a jeweller!

I remember your original thread- delighted you found the stone!

Prev poster is quite right it IS outrageous. There's no way all the claws should have to be replaced within 2 years. Unless there's heavy wear ( are you a boxer perchance? ) even if it were down to heavy use it would be an obvious mis-sell as these are the things that jewellers are taught to take into consideration- you shouldn't sell a ring for the sake of selling- it should fit the purpose that the client needs it for.

In any case I would treat this as faulty and not fit for sale. I'd advise the jeweller that these rings are meant to last a lifetime with minimal intervention- as it's faulty if they will not mend or replace then you will be taking it to trading standards.

It is really shocking. Feel free to pm me if you get any hassle.

Iloveshoes001 Tue 12-Jul-11 16:53:10

here here bethelbeth. Absolutely right. Great to hear that some jewellers still have standards. Go girl!

sprinkles77 Tue 12-Jul-11 19:47:28

Shop should repair or replace for free. Is definitely faulty. I have had mine for nearly 3 years and it gets very heavy wear (gardening, DIY, horsey stuff) and no sign of damage.

daisythelabradoodle Tue 12-Jul-11 21:24:02

Can I ask which jeweller this is from?, I have worked in head office of many and may be able to offer some advice.

whoneedssleepanyway Wed 13-Jul-11 07:51:40

Hi everyone, well I do have good news, when head office rang back I explained the whole situation and they agreed it sounded poor and said they would look into it, upshot was they sent it to quality control who said whilst there were signs of wear and tear they also felt the ring should have been more built up in places so they are doing the whole repair for free (the general manager of all london stores rang me back in the end and was v apologetic).

I haven't had it back yet but am very hopeful that this should be the end of any stones dropping out!!!

Thanks for all your advice and opinions, it is good to know it wasn't me, although I plan to be even more careful in future and will take it off if going to the gym/ running or anything.

The store was Mappin and Webb.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now