Talk

Advanced search

Formal dress styles for short and curvy?

(6 Posts)
SkipToTheEnd Sun 05-Jun-11 19:18:25

I need a formal dress but have no clue what kind of style I need to aim for.

I am 5.1in and a 14 up top - d cup. I have a small waist but am a 16 on my bum/thighs - very typical pear shape.

What kind of style/cut should I go for?

I'd prefer it not to be black or white but have little idea of what colours suit me etc. My hair is a dull and mousy light brown and I'm pale and pastey fair skinned.

HELP!

omydarlin Sun 05-Jun-11 19:28:25

something like this ?
http://www.coast-stores.com/CERYS-DRESS/Dresses/coast/fcp-product/2224736235

You could probably get away with a 14 in size as the skirt is flarey (sp) also note the model has very little in the way of boobage - will look far better with a bit of boobage!

SkipToTheEnd Sun 05-Jun-11 19:45:22

I like that omy. The colour is lovely.

Is there a style I should be avoiding?

omydarlin Sun 05-Jun-11 20:07:43

I think pear shapes tend to avoid tight and strapless?? Have a look at Gwok or Trinny and Susannah sites they have excellent advice- colours wise if you want to wear again I would recommend a bright jewel colour that can be worn winter or summer -Sapphire, Emerald etc

GreenTeapot Sun 05-Jun-11 21:40:49

I like this but not sure what sort of function you need it for and whether linen would work

maybe?

EssexBecca Sun 05-Jun-11 22:30:54

www.mintvelvet.co.uk/amber-ruffle-dress/dresses/mint-v/fcp-product/953

I am short (5ft nothing) and size 16 and have bought this dress recently (only mine is a different colour - nude - but think this is actually than mine nicer now and wish I'd seen this one 1st).

This dress seems to work well with my shape anyway. I bought a 16 and it is quite generous. It's silk so feels really lovely. The assymetric bottom is quite flattering on my (chunky) legs too. Disagree with the text saying it'd look good with a cardi though.

What is the occasion though? This isn't 'formal' as in work formal but I bought mine for a formal lunch in July which I think it's spot on for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now