Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Have you ever made an extra hole in a shoe strap? If so, what works best?

(21 Posts)
nicole333 Sun 05-Jun-11 16:23:49

I have some gorgeous little Jigsaw sandals that I can't wear at the moment because the strap is way too long and the holes are nowhere near where I need them to be.

I'm thinking of either seeing if a shoe repairs might do it for me, or just getting a hammer and a nail. I don't want to risk ruining them though. Anything else I can consider doing it with that will be better?

activate Sun 05-Jun-11 16:24:42

metal skewer over gas hob ring until it goes red

lilbreeze Sun 05-Jun-11 16:26:29

I've had it done a few times at a shoe repairers and they didn't even charge.

Katiekitty Sun 05-Jun-11 16:27:51

Nooo - don't do it yourself!

Take the sandals to a cobbler - should cost about £1

Perfect!

thejaffacakesareonme Sun 05-Jun-11 16:35:33

You can buy a hole punch for leather. I've got one I borrowed from my Mum and Dad. It's great for adding extra holes in straps on shoes or bags and comes with an adjuster so you can have different sizes of holes.

nicole333 Sun 05-Jun-11 17:49:17

Hmm, I'm liking the hole punch idea. But I really wouldn't know where to look in my back of beyond type shopping outlets. I'm not even sure I have a proper shoe repairers!

QuinnFabray Sun 05-Jun-11 18:29:08

I did this with two pairs of shoes last week. Plastic chopping board, metal kebab skewer, was quite easy.

Georgimama Sun 05-Jun-11 18:30:54

Timpsons will do it for you (they are everwhere) but can second the meat skewer tactic if emergency ie need to wear them this evening.

Cattleprod Sun 05-Jun-11 18:37:37

If you can't find a shoe repair shop, a watch repairer should be able to do the job. I've had loads of extra holes put in various watch straps.

gapants Sun 05-Jun-11 18:39:27

Link please?

I think you should try yellow pages and take it to cobblers/watch makers.

tigercametotea Sun 05-Jun-11 18:48:44

The leather hole punch idea is good, I might get one myself. Maybe try this? :

cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-WATCH-LEATHER-STRAP-Belt-HOLE-PUNCH-PLIERS-2mm-/330562069717?pt=UK_Crafts_Leathercraft_LE&hash=item4cf708e4d5

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Sun 05-Jun-11 20:38:24

DH did this for me in 5 mins with a hand drill - matched size of the drill-piece to the other holes.

DarrellRivers Sun 05-Jun-11 20:39:30

hand drill
metal skewer
And once used a pin/needle but wouldn't recommend that , it took ages

nicole333 Sun 05-Jun-11 20:43:23

tigercametotea That looks brilliant, thanks!

How did the drill method come out? Was it nice and smooth or a bit rough?

CointreauVersial Sun 05-Jun-11 20:46:16

I have done it myself many times on belts/shoes - just use the sharp end of a pair of nail scissors, with a lump of blu-tak behind it so you don't damage yourself.

bethelbeth Sun 05-Jun-11 22:14:13

I have a high instep so this happens to me all the time, I got a leather hole punch- i think it's meant for shoe straps and watch straps.
It was about £30 and I've used it about 20 times in 5 years. Handier than faffing around and having to go to the cobblers every time.

montmartre Mon 06-Jun-11 00:19:56

I used an awl on a belt... but it didn't look fantastic grin

polyhymnia Mon 06-Jun-11 09:50:49

i would just take the shoes to the shoemenders.

Meggles76 Mon 06-Jun-11 09:57:33

DH put me an extra hole in a leather belt with the nail and hammer method you mention - it was fine!

nicole333 Wed 08-Jun-11 09:04:51

Well ladies, thankyou for all your suggestions. I'm planning on taking my sandals to a shop which I think might do it, today. If they don't or won't, I'll be hunting down a hole punch for sure.

I'm so glad I'll get to wear them now. smile

CelebratedMonkey Wed 08-Jun-11 09:08:34

I took mine to a key shop/shoe repair place. He said he didn't charge for putting holes in things smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: