Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help!! I need to feel good about my body....

(10 Posts)
absolutelynotfabulous Sat 04-Jun-11 10:42:49

Hi all. I'm getting on a bit (49) and need some advice on body image matters..

I'm size 12, reasonably fit and active and look ok in clothes, but I'm now struggling to look good out of them. I've always been a size 10 and very body-conscious, but now I seem to have "let myself go" a bit and no matter what I do, there's always a bit that sags or is lumpy. I'm carrying a bit of extra weight and as I've been..um...not active in the boudoir for a while my bod in its naked glory hasn't been that important to me lately. However, I'm planning to change this (wink) but I need to feel good about myself again!

Help!! How do you all do it?

JoPayton Sat 04-Jun-11 12:45:00

Hiya - have you thought about power walking?? I do it (just did the Moonwalk for breast cancer in May) and it is FAB for toning up all over and giving myself a big lift body-image-wise. I sometimes walk with weights on my arms to tone up the ol' bingo wings, but regular walking at a decent pace is brilliant on its own. Some people have asked me if I feel silly power walking - but have you seen the state of most joggers?? Women of all ages do the moonwalk and it's a brillaint goal if you fancy that, but justgetting out and walking 2 or 3 times a week really might help - and it's free.
Jo x (aka Fashion Detective - www.fashiondetective.co.uk)

TheMostBeautifulPoster Sat 04-Jun-11 12:46:58

i dfont htink you are suposed to tout your website jo

absolutelynotfabulous Sat 04-Jun-11 14:28:57

Thanks jo - would walking quickly in Shape-Ups be classed as power walking?? Weights good idea too - used to do that and all - many moons ago!!

JoPayton Sat 04-Jun-11 17:11:58

I think anything is classed as power walking if you end up out of breath grin As long as you put your arms into it you're gonna feel ace.

I got some cute little weights from Argos that look like wristbands from a distance.

smearedinfood Sat 04-Jun-11 21:56:37

I think you should give yourself a break, have you not made a child with your body, that's pretty amazing!

You could try injecting a new bit of colour into your wardrobe, juststart with one and play with it.

fedupandfifty Sun 05-Jun-11 10:31:51

smeared I think I may also have some "ishoos" with my body - I'm a not- so-golden oldie too, and worry about how I'm shaping up in my birthday suit.

Any others out there who feel this way?

smearedinfood Sun 05-Jun-11 19:13:25

any there any good points about your body you love, play up those

smearedinfood Sun 05-Jun-11 19:14:11

...and people love you for who you are not what you look like.

strawberryjelly Sun 05-Jun-11 19:35:00

can you do a pilates DVD at home? I am much older than you and try to do something every day- either a power walk- well a pretty brisk one of 3 miles up hill, or if I don't get out then I work out for 20 minutes at home with dumbells- do tricep dips, a few squats, the plank, that kind of thing. it just stops the total rot!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: