Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

DOH!! is this a stupid question??

(3 Posts)
biryani Sat 04-Jun-11 10:23:26

Yesterday my face caught the sun and is now brownish. I wear a high SPF moisturiser and foundation, and normally the sun doesn't get through to tan me.

Question: does the fact that I'm brown mean I'm now "sun-damaged" , or will my SPF covering protect me??

madammecholet Sat 04-Jun-11 14:37:50

The SPF will stop you burning. It sounds like you didn't burn. The burning is the sun damage...

but i'm no expert..

emsyj Sat 04-Jun-11 15:37:41

Brown is still sun-damaged. When you see leathery brown people with George Hamilton tans, they haven't burned but their skin is very much sun-damaged. That is what a tan is.

If you tan easily then you may be at a lower risk of getting skin cancer than someone very fair, but that tan is there because your skin has been damaged whilst trying to protect itself from the sun.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: