Talk

Advanced search

epilation....fucking ouch!

(14 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Fri 03-Jun-11 22:44:25

i got a braun satinelle '3' today - says on the box perfect for people new to epiilation.

ive had waxing loads before, it doesnt bother me. i tried to use the epilator on my legs, but i dont think the hair was long enough, it hurt but wasnt very effective.

i have a problem with hairy forearms so i did those, worked a treat but really hurt!

i will be very disappointed if it doesn't do as good a job on legs.....has anyone got one and use it on legs? does it work? and does the pain get better the more its done? how long do i need to let the hair grow for it to remove it effectively?

(it also says it can be used on underarms and bikini line....but im being a wuss - it hurt too much elsewhere. does anyone actually use it on these areas?)

thanks in advance.

WhereIsTheFire Fri 03-Jun-11 22:52:36

I have a Braun and love it, do my legs and my underarms. Length of hair for my epilator is about 3-4mm I think.

It does hurt though, I usually take 2 paracetamol before doing my underarms but don't need it if just doing my legs. TH the first time is the worst, if you do it regularly after that it isn't too bad really.

Make sure you exfoliate well after you shower to avoid in-grown hairs which are a pain when you epilate.

WhereIsTheFire Fri 03-Jun-11 22:55:00

Meant to add that this is the one I have www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002TOJT3O/ref=asc_df_B002TOJT3O3074646?smid=A38UDII8M9Z5GS&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B002TOJT3O

Jaspants Fri 03-Jun-11 22:56:17

Deffo gets less painful the more you do it although I'm a wimp and still can't do underarms and bikini line

WhereIsTheFire Fri 03-Jun-11 22:56:48

Yours is a 20 tweezer epilator and mine is a 40 tweezer one so I think to get rid of the same amount of hair you would have to go over the same area more often if you see what I mean, maybe thats why it wasn't all that effective?

RipMacWinkle Fri 03-Jun-11 22:58:12

I've only tried doing my underarms once, recently.

Just thinking about it makes me wince

It. Was. Sore.

Can't even contemplate bikini line. Legs are fine though, not a bother at all.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 03-Jun-11 23:01:45

well i paid over the odds for mine from Boots....but i had a gift card to use.

i cant believe the price of some of them....

i just hope this one works on my legs.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 03-Jun-11 23:02:47

yeah been wondering about the 20 vs 40 tweezer thing....but maybe ill just have to go over twice.

WhereIsTheFire Fri 03-Jun-11 23:10:46

Once you have a good hair free leg its pretty easy to upkeep it. Just regularly epilate and because the hairs all grow back at different rates you never have a full leg of hair to get rid of again if that makes any sense. So take the time (and the paracetamol!!) and get a really good result the first time and then it'll be much easier from then on.

If you do your underarms do as much as you can manage pain-wise, let the soreness go away and a few days to a week later do it again to get the bits you missed and then just do regular upkeep, same as for the legs.

Its brilliant if you can get the hang of it.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 03-Jun-11 23:13:15

not sure i dare to do underarms....but might brave it.

im disappointed with the leg results, but i think the hair might have had to be longer.

some of the really pricey ones can pluck hair the length of a grain of sand or something....not mine though! think mine is a bit ancient on the technology front.

HauntedLittleLunatic Fri 03-Jun-11 23:13:57

I love mine.

Do legs regularly and works great....

I can't do underarm...did a tiny patch one but it hurt....

I do do bikini line though...and find that better than underarms, but a bit at a time.

moragbellingham Sat 04-Jun-11 08:01:53

I've got a 20 tweezer one and regret buying it now as it takes so long to do the legs.

I found the pain was staggering the first time I did it but after that it lessened. I think this is because the hair grows back at different rates so you're not doing a huge carpet in one go!

Regular exfoliation definiteley helps - but what what does every else do about exfoliating off the fake tan. Can you only have pale-skinned hairfree legs, or brown hairy legs????

Ryoko Sat 04-Jun-11 13:11:37

What is a good epilator? thinking of buying one.

WhereIsTheFire Sat 04-Jun-11 13:44:37

Ryoko The one I have, that I linked to before is really good, been very happy with it. Its not entry level standard but you can get them for less than £50, mine was from Amazon. I've only ever had Braun ones, always liked them, don't know anything much about the Philips ones which is the other main brand competitor I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now