Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

To dye or not to dye, that is the question.

(8 Posts)
WhereIsTheFire Fri 03-Jun-11 22:13:19

I am going grey <gutted emoticon> and I am reaching the point of no return - to dye or not to dye?

It is just starting to become noticeable, should I start dying my hair regularly to cover it up or should I just let myself go grey? I don't want to be grey but I don't want to dye my hair every so-many weeks either.

I'm 30 and my hair is in an inverted bob, length at front about half way between chin and shoulder if that makes sense.

I keep thinking of one of my old teachers who had totally grey hair but was still youngish and kind of looked fabulous with the grey/silver hair. Somehow I suspect I would just look granny-esque if I tried that though.

What to do? What to do?

Beamur Fri 03-Jun-11 22:15:25

I dye - my hairdresser does it about every 6 weeks and it looks nice and natural. My grey made me feel old and I wasn't ready to embrace that look just yet.
What colour is your hair? One option might be highlights which just disguise them a bit.

WhereIsTheFire Fri 03-Jun-11 22:19:50

I'm a chestnut brown so its quite noticeable. How much is it to have highlights or a dye job done? Trying to figure out how much this might cost me, every 6 weeks is really often, I don't like my hairdresser enough to see her that often!

cerealqueen Fri 03-Jun-11 22:37:37

Try a long lasting semi-permanent (eg Casting) at home or in a salon then you don't have to commit to it. I use them all the time and change colours when I fancy. It looks very natural and people are surprised when I say my hair is dyed, plus, no obvious regrowth!

WhereIsTheFire Fri 03-Jun-11 22:43:48

cereal I think its the idea of regrowth looking awful when I inevitably haven't gotten to the hairdressers in ages that worries me. Have just looked at that Casting Creme and it says it just fades so that would probably be best.

Just asked DH what he thinks and he says I am too young to be grey, I should dye. He is already grey I should add and never dyes, think maybe its different for blokes though.

littlemissboden Fri 03-Jun-11 23:25:20

a bloke (to me) looks distinguished with grey! I have mine touched up in the hairdressers ever 6 weeks, but I have some lighter shades put in with foils, the regrowth is barely if at all noticeable (I notice it more)

WhereIsTheFire Fri 03-Jun-11 23:30:08

LittleMiss Yes, I think my DH is dishy with grey hair, a real silver fox!

I think I'm more likely to look like this though!

Beamur Sat 04-Jun-11 20:26:13

I get mine done at home, my hairdresser is the daughter of a friend and she charges me about £30 for cut and colour and cuts DD's hair for free, (but I tip her a fiver so it evens out). I checked out the prices at the salons when my hairdresser was a bit busy and was a bit shocked by real prices! A decent brand of DIY colour would be fine though, I've done mine before myself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: