Talk

Advanced search

Can you let out a dress?

(10 Posts)
vintageteacups Thu 02-Jun-11 23:26:45

Hi - I've got a ball to go to at the start of July and the dress I want to wear almost does up but then I can't breathe!

I got it from ebay and thought I would have got into by then but I'm not hopeful. It's stunning and just perfect but I wondered if you can let out a boned bodice somehow to make it larger around the rib cage?

Is there always a bit of extra material...........or is it wishful thinking on my part?

I do have another ebay purchase that fits but isn't quite as lovely and doesn't make me feel quite as special.

tryingtoleave Fri 03-Jun-11 09:57:21

Usually the seam allowance is very narrow in professional garments. I presume it's lined? You could unpick a bit of lining to see what the seam allowance is, but I wouldn't risk it...

CMOTdibbler Fri 03-Jun-11 10:08:35

If its boned, you could get a seamstress to put in a laced back and a modesty panel. But if it does up, how about doing the Special K diet for a couple of weeks and then having a body wrap - you'll get into it easily

SybilBeddows Fri 03-Jun-11 10:10:32

I think you'd be lucky to find enough spare fabric on the seams to do this, unfortunately, and even if you do that might leave lines of holes visible where the original line of stitching was.

SybilBeddows Fri 03-Jun-11 10:11:09

what CMOT says.
doing something to the back where it does up might be a better option.

wendihouse22 Fri 03-Jun-11 10:15:12

Depends on how much material there is to play with, in the seem. I'd have a professional do it!

vintageteacups Fri 03-Jun-11 10:30:33

Thank you - no, wasn't going to try anything myself! Wondered if a seamstress would be able to do anything.

If not, I guess I will just have to eat cereal for the next few weeks!

mippy Fri 03-Jun-11 11:25:20

If it's the rib cage, there's only so much dieting can do - you can try and knock off some body fat but you can't make your ribs smaller. You could try an under-corset - something like Esbelt may work in compressing under the bust. I have one and it is pretty staggering how much it squeezes everything in!

Where is it from? I have a boned dress and it isn't very forgiving in terms of seam allowance. I'm very busty and I often have this problem as things that fit on the waist and hips won't zip up my back. Does the material have any stretch?

YesterdaysPants Fri 03-Jun-11 12:12:24

You can, but be warned it'll be v pricey - it's a big and fiddly job. I had a boned dress taken out for one of my bridesmaids and paid £200 for the privilege! Bloody dress only cost £230! <fumes at memory>

vintageteacups Fri 03-Jun-11 13:59:14

will try and find a picture of style

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now