Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything to stop sandal stitching rubbing?

(13 Posts)
pantaloons Thu 02-Jun-11 20:06:14

Hi,
I'm actually asking on behalf of my mum, she's got a problem with the arches in her feet so has bought some (very expensive) sandals to help support them. They help with the pain, but the stitching along the back of ankle strap is really rough and rubs her in a big way.

Does anyone know if there is anything she can paint/rub on the stitches as a coating of some sort?

Thanks very much.

miniwedge Thu 02-Jun-11 20:09:52

Dental wax. The stuff you get given when you have fixed braces. Have used it often.

MrsMeow Thu 02-Jun-11 20:35:07

Someone on here once recommended zinc oxide tape to me when I was struggling to break in a pair of shoes, it's amazing!

I don't know how feasible it would be with sandals, I suppose it depends on how thick the strap is? It's worth a try though, it's cheap enough from the chemist. You put it directly onto your skin like a plaster and the idea is that the shoe rubs against the tape, rather than the skin.

pantaloons Thu 02-Jun-11 20:46:30

Thanks very much, I will tell her both options and let her decide!

marilynwhirlwind Thu 02-Jun-11 22:47:25

Has she tried rubbing a bar of soap along the stitching

Soups Thu 02-Jun-11 23:24:35

Compeed do a blister stick for preventation. I've not used it but always have a stock of their blister plasters (+other brands), I do lots of walking.

If she's not worried about a plaster, then a brand like Compeed, may do whilst the shoes are being broken in in. I use them when breaking in new shoes, before a blister, when they can't be seen.

suzikettles Thu 02-Jun-11 23:33:37

Yes, Compeed plasters worn where it rubs are great for prevention.

I've found that after a few days the shoes seem to get "broken in" by rubbing against the plaster and then don't hurt any more, even if you don't wear it.

Boots do their own brand too which are cheaper and pretty much as good.

pantaloons Fri 03-Jun-11 18:40:57

Thanks everyone, I'll print this off and she can work her way through!

AutumnWitch Fri 03-Jun-11 18:59:59

I had a knot in the stitching that was really painful - found that putting the sticky part of a plaster onto the shoe sorted it out. Plasters tend to fall off my feet (haven't tried the special ones though).

howcomes Sat 04-Jun-11 10:24:57

I've run an emery board over stitching before just to soften it a bit

demisemiquaver Sat 04-Jun-11 10:33:09

these are all great ideas

tethersend Sat 04-Jun-11 17:16:29

Put the plaster on the stitching rather than the foot.

pantaloons Sun 05-Jun-11 14:33:04

Thanks again. I'll tell her a combination of all of the above, I'm sure that will sort her out. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now