Talk

Advanced search

Platinum blonde hair products?

(24 Posts)
Claire236 Thu 02-Jun-11 19:00:32

Had my hair bleached blonde today (was coloured red) & it needs some TLC. Any recommendations for best treat & everyday shampoo/conditioners for looking after both the colour & condition? Thanks

RosieAndGin Thu 02-Jun-11 19:02:56

<watching as I went blonde yesterday from red wink>

Claire236 Thu 02-Jun-11 19:07:38

Took 4 hours to do mine. Rather more red left in it than I realized. Took a while to strip it all out. Going back Sat for toner as still more golden than platinum in the front. Is this your first time blonde?

Mumelie Thu 02-Jun-11 19:11:21

Did mine 8 weeks ago, love it! It has gone loads blonder in the sun.
I have just used John Frieda on it but would be interested to see if anyone else has any new products.

RosieAndGin Thu 02-Jun-11 19:11:53

No was blonde years ago, but have been from black to red last few years, Dd did mine for me, we stripped all colour out with colour b4, then next day put bleach on, then an intense natural blonde, I love it but think I can go a few shades lighter.

Claire236 Thu 02-Jun-11 19:16:41

Mumelie - I've bought some John Frieda too but was thinking about trying Redken or maybe Paul Mitchell as used to love Paul Mitchell stuff.

RosieAndGin - I've been every colour going except blonde so this was a first for me. I had it stripped & coloured today but I have got short hair so not quite so damaging.

Mumelie Thu 02-Jun-11 19:26:57

The John Frieda is ok, but I want something a bit more moisturising.
When I was reddish brown there was a liquid shine John Frieda one that was fab. Guess I shouldnt straighten and blow dry every day then I wouldnt have a frazzled frizz head grin

Claire236 Thu 02-Jun-11 19:41:33

Peroxide, blow dry, straightening. Not surprising our hair is feeling dehydrated.

Claire236 Thu 02-Jun-11 20:31:59

n

TattyDevine Thu 02-Jun-11 21:08:59

Christ! So they bleached the red out eh? How long was the bleach on for? Was it 30 volume?

I stripped my dark browns and mahogany reds (also had bleach slices that were stained red with veg dyes) with ColourB4 earlier this year, I went a light peachy orange from doing that and then covered that with a light ash brown then had a whole head of bleach highlights to make me a medium golden blonde. That did enough to my hair - I had some frizzy looking ends I had snipped off and had the Loreal Fibreceutic treatiment too.

But the thing I found better than anything was the Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment. Its done more than anything.

To "brighten" your blonde (you talk of goldey tones at the front) get yourself a purple shampoo - Aveda Blue Malva, Lee Stafford "bleach blonde" or his Hot shots for blondes are very good - very purple, kills the gold and makes the white whiter.

MissBeehiving Thu 02-Jun-11 21:54:58

Joico Color Enhance Violet is meant to be very good for getting rid of brassiness.

TwoWeeSausages Thu 02-Jun-11 23:20:50

Tony and Guy Platinum Shampoo is amazing.

I was bleach blonde for 6yrs and used this all the time after a recommendation. Think there might be a conditioner too.

Used to also use this about once a fortnight for a boost.

wendihouse22 Fri 03-Jun-11 10:23:11

Tatty....will try the Lee Stafford. Had my high it's done a few weeks ago and they're not as whitey.....more golden. Not sure why hairdresser did this!! Can't afford to have done again right now so will try that shampoo. Thanks.

wendihouse22 Fri 03-Jun-11 10:25:27

High Lites......bloody iPad won't let my type it properly. I'm going to come home one day to find said iPad sat at my dining table.....having taken over my world. The thing just does what it pleases! confused

Claire236 Fri 03-Jun-11 22:17:18

The blonde had it's first proper airing as I was out with a group of friends tonight. Certainly caused some comments.

Tatty - took 3 goes of 15 mins each to get rid of the red. Not sure what volume. Then platinum colour. Not quite platinum all over though due to some red still being left. I've got short hair so not feeling too bad just a bit dry. Having toner tomorrow so hopefully will be a bit closer to platinum.

Might try the Aveda as been recommended that by a few people. Don't mind buying something expensive if it works. Just don't want to waste money unnecessarily.

Thanks all.

wendihouse22 Sat 04-Jun-11 09:54:24

I used to work for Aveda....years ago. Love ALL the products and would recumbent the shampoo.

wendihouse22 Sat 04-Jun-11 09:55:01

Recommend smile

Claire236 Sun 05-Jun-11 12:05:06

The toner I had yesterday was amazing. My hair is totally platinum now & I love it. Hairdresser gave me some Loreal stuff to try which she suggested using once a week. Hair feeling dry though so want something intensive to get some moisture in it & an everyday shampoo/conditioner. Think I'll get the Aveda & the Ojon (thanks Tatty)

hobbgoblin Sun 05-Jun-11 12:08:52

Another vote for Lee Stafford for killing brassiness- is as good as toner so you have to not over-use.

wendihouse22 Tue 07-Jun-11 09:35:54

Crikey!! Tried the Lee Stafford purple shampoo this moring. Smells devine but I'm a bit "grey" now. Yes it did get rid of the yellowy-ness but, I look a bit like my mum shock

TattyDevine Tue 07-Jun-11 09:47:12

Ooh Wendy! Just give it a wash with something normal next time and you'll be fine! Nice to know it works! You might be quite pourus in the hair department...sounds like it really "took"...

wendihouse22 Tue 07-Jun-11 10:33:13

Hope so.... I had to put a bit more blusher on this morning. Looked like I'd been "dug up".

Might buy the perfume though. My son said....."Oooo, you smell like holidays mummy!"

Claire236 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:30:12

A little recap for anyone who might be interested. I bought Toni & Guy platinum shampoo, Lee Stafford Hot Shots & Lee Stafford conditioner. The Toni & Guy shampoo is really good & it's sparkly which I like although it's probably irrelevant to how it works. 2 days on the trot & my hair is practically white. Not used the Hot Shots yet as my hairdresser gave me some Loreal Professional shampoo to use weekly which is amazing. The Lee Stafford conditioner makes my hair lovely & soft but I find the smell a bit overpowering so don't think I'd buy it again. Currently I'm alternating between something for platinum hair & ordinary coloured hair shampoo & conditioner with a deep conditioner once a week & the Loreal shampoo once a week.

Evizza Fri 24-Jun-11 22:21:04

I use the wella ash blonde sachet once a week and also the tigi dumb blonde intensive conditioner once a week. I have started using the vo5 miracle oil on damp hair before styling and my hair is not brassy and in good condition smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now