Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Is this dress suitable?

(15 Posts)
hotcrossSES Thu 02-Jun-11 16:55:52

I have an evening dinner and dance to attend with work in 2 weeks. I'm a size 14-16, 36DD with quite an apple tummy.

Do you think this dress would look ok or do you have any others to suggest?

Marne Thu 02-Jun-11 16:58:41

I like it, i wouldn't be able to wear it as my bood are too small smile, i f i had big boobs then my tummy would not look so big. Not sure about black, depends on your skin tone.

TwistAndShout Thu 02-Jun-11 17:00:50

I like it - halternecks can be very flattering. Make sure you've got a good strapless bra though.

pink4ever Thu 02-Jun-11 19:32:47

No sorry it is horrible and £150shock. You could get much nicer for less money.

BikeRunSki Thu 02-Jun-11 20:00:59

You are my shape twin, and I rather like that, but agree it it ££££££!

Lizzylou Thu 02-Jun-11 20:03:38

I am not sure on the length to be honest. Bit mumsy, betwixt and between.

The style is good though, am sure for that money you could get something better.

How tall are you? What colouring?

hotcrossSES Thu 02-Jun-11 20:17:38

Would be keen for any other suggestions!
I am 5'6" and have brown hair with a few subtle highlights and green eyes.

BikeRunSki - hello shape twin grin

I'm hoping someone could come up with some nice suggestions as my confidence has taken a knock recently and I could do with feeling like I look gorgeous - just for one evening!

hotcrossSES Thu 02-Jun-11 21:16:11

Are any of these better?

one
two
three
four

It's quite a big deal as there will be about 3,000 people there and I am part of the awards ceremony and so on the top table with the leadership team of the company <eek!>
Added to that I'm fed up of people thinking I look pg and asking when DC2 is going to arrive. Unfortunately I've just mc and so could really do without these comments. Hence something flattering would be good!

TIA

StarryEyedMama Thu 02-Jun-11 21:34:43

Having look at your Debenham options, I'd say you're first option from asos is the best and the most sophisticated, hope you have a fab time smile

Frenchchic Thu 02-Jun-11 21:55:26

I agree with StarryEyed. Asos dress is lovely and think it would be very flattering! Have a lovely night!

libbylobs Fri 03-Jun-11 11:48:09

there are some lovely dressesin coast and monsoon , about the same price , goodluck and have a great night im sure you will look fab .x

TragicallyHip Fri 03-Jun-11 11:59:42

I like the ASOS dress. Not so keen on the others

fgaaagh Fri 03-Jun-11 12:23:06

The 4 others you've posted are all horrid - I'm surprised at how "cheap" they look, whilst not actually being very cheap!

The Asos one is ok. But quite expensive for what is, essentially, a very elegant but simple dress.

I'll do some looking and see if I can come up with some more constructive suggestions...

fgaaagh Fri 03-Jun-11 12:26:40

www.monsoon.co.uk/new-dresses/black-betty-dress/invt/95302803/#

www.monsoon.co.uk/all-dresses/tanya-dress/invt/85339188/

www.monsoon.co.uk/new-dresses/katy-dress/invt/95306251/ (with a shoulder wrap maybe)

www.monsoon.co.uk/all-dresses/tanya-dress/invt/85339188/

fgaaagh Fri 03-Jun-11 12:28:51

This one is also rather nice:

http://www.johnlewis.com/228214/Product.aspx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: