Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Frumpy or Nice?

(14 Posts)
PickleSarnie Thu 02-Jun-11 16:41:40

I really, really want a tea dress. But I have crap knees and most the dresses are above the knee. I found this one though www.monsoon.co.uk/day-dresses/tabitha-tea-dress/invt/85311488/ which fits me really well and hides my lump knees but I'm not sure if it's a bit mumsy? Opinions/alternatives would be very gratefully received!

Mumelie Thu 02-Jun-11 16:48:13

Nice - love tea dresses grin

sharbie Thu 02-Jun-11 16:48:45

v nice

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 02-Jun-11 17:04:30

Lovely. Are you a heels person? If so, wear high ones to avoid the mumsy look. Or just unusual shoes e.g. in a clashing colour.

PickleSarnie Thu 02-Jun-11 17:14:29

I need to learn to walk in heels since I have just bought mahoosive ones for my wedding and I currently walk like a duck with piles in them. So I guess I could get some practise in with this and some slightly more sensible shoes!

Soups Thu 02-Jun-11 22:58:17

I like it, but it could easily be worn in a mumsy / granny way. I don't think the heels have to be high but the shoes probably should have some personality.

Dainty necklace, matching ear rings, with mid high court shoes, no. But there must be many other ways of wearing it.

CristinaTheAstonishing Thu 02-Jun-11 23:03:58

It could go either way. The deep V-neck makes it look less mumsy, you need to be confident for that.

CristinaTheAstonishing Thu 02-Jun-11 23:04:10

I love the duck with piles image.

CliffTumble Fri 03-Jun-11 07:30:11

I like it.

laduree Fri 03-Jun-11 07:59:06

I have the dress and think it is very feminine and flattering. I am wearing it today with red ballet pumps,think would also look good in colder weather with thick coloured tights and boots. I too love tea dresses and if that makes me frumpy and mumsy so be it!!

IvyAndGold Fri 03-Jun-11 08:04:23

i love tea dresses too, that one's lovely! i agree you won't need killer high heels with it though, a mid heel would be fine - and less duck-like wink

PickleSarnie Fri 03-Jun-11 08:05:14

I have some red ballet pumps too somewhere, will go try them on with it. Just bought these www.johnlewis.com/25297/Product.aspx?source=63258 and I think they go.

Is it wrong to be looking forward to wearing thick tights and boots with it when it's only June?! If it snows tomorrow, it'll be my fault!

laduree Fri 03-Jun-11 09:02:20

Not at all,it pays to be prepared !! White Stuff do lovely tights in the winter,you can sometimes pick them up in the summer sale at bargin prices!

Bumblequeen Fri 03-Jun-11 18:32:48

It is a nice dress.

Red wedge sandals would carry this off nicely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: