Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help with foundations!

(9 Posts)
gourd Thu 02-Jun-11 16:25:18

I have combination skin with "open" pores on my nose. I usually wear L'Oreal liquid foundations, and was happy with them for a while but increasingly I find they slide off, even the supposedly 16 hour one, and I'm forever blotting/powdering my nose and forehead to dull the shine then the powder can go a bit cakey in the pores on my nose. I think I might need a medium to full coverage and a matte finish, certainly something that is designed to stay on all day and nothing oily or shiny. Does it matter whether it's liquid or compact creme or powder type though? I've no experience of the compact type so I don't know if they're any better. I'd like to try Mac or Bobbi Brown but that will mean a trip to Manchester to find a shade. Anyone got any suggestions as to good non oily foundations that stay on all day and whether liquid or creme/powder compact type ones would be better for my skin type? Does the method application (fingers, sponge or brush) make a difference to longevity? At the moment I use my fingers, but I know this gives quite a sheer finish and I may need to use a sponge for a bit more coverage that will stay on all day, but I don't want to look over made up or cakey either - Please help!!! Thanks!

blabalalalablabla Thu 02-Jun-11 16:30:36

You sound like you have the same type of skin as me and I have recently started using estee lauder doublewear light - Its oil free and really does last all day.
I've also started using la roche-posay products and they have sorted my open pores out a treat.

blabalalalablabla Thu 02-Jun-11 16:31:44

Should also say that over the years I have used the bobbi brown oil free liquid foundation and the cream compact and found the liquid one to be really good - but not as long lasting as the doublewear light.

mozette Thu 02-Jun-11 16:36:51

Just treated myself to some Estee Lauder Doublewear Light and its fab! Woman who sold it to me put it on with a brush

gourd Thu 02-Jun-11 16:54:31

Thanks, I've tried EL doublewear mascarra and that is good.. plus I can get this at Boots so I might try it.

MrsMeow Thu 02-Jun-11 16:57:50

I wear MAC Studiofix which gives amazing coverage and is really matte. Definitely worth a trip to try it as they do cool (NC) and warm (NW) shades.

gourd Thu 02-Jun-11 17:00:02

Yes, I would like to try it - I know they do sooo many shades. I MUST have a yellow based shade too, pink ones are so wrong on me!

Havingkittens Thu 02-Jun-11 21:17:03

Lancome Teint Idole is really nice, medium to good coverage and stays on really well. It's quite matte and doesn't get shiny very quickly.

I would invest in a foundation brush if I were you. If you use a sponge it absorbs so much of your foundation that you will end up wasting a lot of it. Also, a primer will help with the open pores and also keeping your skin matte for longer. Clinique Pore Minimiser is quite good. Also, if your skin persists in being oily then try using blotting films instead of powder. They will absorb the oil from your skin without disturbing your make up. Like you say, if you put powder on over oily skin it will just end up building up and getting cakey.

LadyLapsang Thu 02-Jun-11 22:27:43

Gourd, if you need a yellow based tone, have you tried Chanel? Also, do you use loose powder on your T zone in the morning and carry pressed powder for touch ups?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: